Vertigo Chicago vs Vertigo Milan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Other than the 10 songs from Milan that have been released on U218 have any other Milan songs been released anywhere? Is it just these 10 for now or are there others?

AndrewCowley said:
Other than the 10 songs from Milan that have been released on U218 have any other Milan songs been released anywhere? Is it just these 10 for now or are there others?
The Vertigo encore version (so in the dark, not the first one) is released as a bonus to the U2.communication disc last year. And that's all, the only other stuff from Milan were only clips, showed during a TV program called 60 minutes. They were showing clips of Pride, Streets and SBS.

OpperGoeroe said:

That's not a fact, it's your opinion. Hamish is a great director to me, I really love his work on stadium DVD's. And not forget that Hamish was also involved in the South American shows, just read Willie's diary on that. They flew him in a few nights before and he co-directed the show.

And about the 3D movie, Bono's voice was so weak on the 4th leg, after seeing the Brazil and Buenos Aires broadcasts again I'm sure his voice was much stronger on the 2nd or even the 5th leg. Vertigo of Buenos Aires is great for example, but Bono's voice made it a weak performance overall.

I know that Hamish was involved in the Sao Paulo Shot - but he was not in the TV Special from Buenos Aires - the local team there made a great job (also Willie said that in his diary). Sao Paulo I didn't like so much - there was a little bit too much of Hamilton in it for me :wink: your absolutly right: I hate Hamilton! I think he is an awful, bad and overrated director who doesn't fit with U2. People like Joneau and also Löwenstein - they have the possibility to capture the beautiful soul of U2 in a very special and wonderful way. And I really hope that Pellington is also such a guy - after seeing his films Arlington Road and this Butterfly-Think I'm in a good mood for that (sorry for my english :( )

I just want the best for my favourite band - and Hamilton is not good enough...
- it`s very easy to film the best live band in the world so people can enjoy it a little - but it can be much better. So I always have to watch Rattle and Hum again and again...

I forgot - you're right Bonos had some major voice problems also in Buenos Aires but I loved the show anyway. He looked a little bit destroyed but also very in his middle (that's hard for me to explain that in english) - I think it had something magical - exspecially the with or without you-Version from the argentinia television. I think that was perhaps the best version of WOWY ever...
Also when I see how Edge played the guitarre in Mysterious Ways - I think this evening looked very special for me on TV and I really hope that some footage of that makes it in the 3D Movie.

Last edited:
the only thing I EVER watch on the chicago DVD is electric co. everything else is dreadful.

the few clips from Milan were great, Vertigo was good and IWF was spectacular.

I really want to sell my Chicago DVD, I'm never going to watch it. At least I can make some money back on it.

Mrs. Garrison said:

have you seen ZooTV f/ Sydney? Its tops all time, then probably Slane.

I'll throw in with those who think Rattle & Hum trumps them all. God I wish they'd release the full versions of the Tempe & Denver shows.

Slane Second, and seconded to those who say there is no better live version of All I Want is You.

What's so great about Sydney? Directorially it's perfect (except for the words superimposed over the screen during The Fly). But performancewise, at least through the opening Achtung Baby set, the band seems to be on autopilot. There's no spark or anger during The Fly, Bono's almost crooning UTEOTW and Zoo Station comes off too scripted and perfect. I'd rather have the full show(s) from the Zoo TV Special from the Outside Broadcast leg.

From reading the thread it seems the majority of those who prefer Milan over Chicago are non-Americans. Nothing new there.

The crowd in Chicago is so woefully bad that I almost have to say Milan because of that alone. No offence to Americans, but if the Boston/Chicago DVDs are to judge, Europeans/South American/Rest of the World blows you out of the water in terms of getting into concerts.

There are moments in Boston and Chicago (particularly Chicago) where the crowd are just standing there, flat, looking bored. The Slane/Milan crowd doesn't let up for a single second. They're all as sweat and tired as the band at the end of the show.

Joshua_Tree_Hugger said:

There are moments in Boston and Chicago (particularly Chicago) where the crowd are just standing there, flat, looking bored. The Slane/Milan crowd doesn't let up for a single second. They're all as sweat and tired as the band at the end of the show.

that reason alone is enough to pick Milan over Chicago. but the performance was better to me as well. Some parts of the Chicago DVD i'm pretty convinced it's a robot Bono, not the real one...he's just running through the motions.

Joshua_Tree_Hugger said:
The crowd in Chicago is so woefully bad that I almost have to say Milan because of that alone. No offence to Americans, but if the Boston/Chicago DVDs are to judge, Europeans/South American/Rest of the World blows you out of the water in terms of getting into concerts.

could that be the band's fault?

why would people look at a single DVD of a single performance and then extrapolate sweeping generalizations about 300m people?

Irvine511 said:

why would people look at a single DVD of a single performance and then extrapolate sweeping generalizations about 300m people?

Tell any artist , if possible not a patriotic fanatic , who says US audiences loses to every others in the world ?

This is not from today , definitely not news

Though I do love the perfomance of the band in CHicago , and How much I love the vertigo in comparission with Elevation , but sometimes it hurts a lot to see the band kickin ass and people not caring much

See at Eletric Co Or Fly , the band's on fire , u would expect the audience to go with them , and No Edge has to lift his hand for something :| :| :|

And if these were the only cringe worthy moments thanks to the audience

ive seen plenty of european boots where the crowd is just standing around during zoo station and the fly as well

yes, it's clear that U2 thinks that US audiences are majorly lame. it's why they never want to play in the US, it's why they hate cities like NYC, Chicago, Boston, and SanFran.

i've seen them in Europe, and i've seen them in the US, and there wasn't much of a difference, to me, in crowd reaction that i could chalk up to some easy, convenient cultural generalization.

my brother was at the Chicgo shows, both in May and later in September, and he said the May shows were the worst he's ever seen U2 (he saw 2 popmart shows, and 2 elevation shows), and then that september they were the best he's ever seen them.

Irvine511 said:
it's why they never want to play in the US, it's why they hate cities like NYC, Chicago, Boston, and SanFran.

Amer%20dollars%20sm.jpg

Man I could so easily hate the US cities as well :drool: :drool: :drool:

wow.

i suppose that's why bono lives in NYC and edge lives in LA.

they HATE america. they're just in it for the money.

:rolleyes:

anyway, i think the Chicago DVD is kind of lame, but i sort of blame Bono. he seemed so awkward the first time i watched it, almost uncomfortable, perhaps burned by the drubbing the Chicago papers gave him for the first night (which my brother said really was kind of a bad show ... but i'm sure it's his fault that the show was bad because he's an American) and really self-conscious.

so i haven't watched it since. i much prefer the Phoenix 2 bootleg. :drool:

in the end i think the crowd was kind of lame, but it was also a planning mistake.

why shoot the DVD so early in the tour?? it was like a month or two into the first leg, the band is always great live but their always on fire during the third leg in the states.

My favorite two shows (went to 6) were on the third leg. If they shot a show for the DVD at madison square garden on the third leg, would have been better.

Still, Milan would have been the best.

RademR said:
in the end i think the crowd was kind of lame, but it was also a planning mistake.

why shoot the DVD so early in the tour?? it was like a month or two into the first leg, the band is always great live but their always on fire during the third leg in the states.

My favorite two shows (went to 6) were on the third leg. If they shot a show for the DVD at madison square garden on the third leg, would have been better.

Still, Milan would have been the best.

Yeah, I agree with alot of what is written here. I like the 'looseness' of Bono and the boys on the Milan DVD - on the Chicago DVD they just seem a bit 'tight'. I wonder if that has to do with it being relatively early in the tour. And I think this can affect a crowd's reaction. Case in point - I never thought I would get into a u2 concert as much as I did here in Aust; but they were on fire!

Milan though isn't perfect.

COBL is a great opener with Vertigo following up (like in Chicago). On Milan, I just can't get over the fact that the concert started at dusk and that version of COBL is a bit lame I feel.

Vertigo really works with the video screen (I assume they played it twice in Milan?). Infact, after seeing Vertigo from 5 metres back from the stage I thought I was gonna throw up. Great effects!

I think alot of people who saw u2 in Aust/NZ will say U2 were pretty upbeat, loose etc and that was reflected by how everyone got into it.

xaviMF22 said:

I disagree

and hate when people argue

oh my country is better than yours :blahblah: :blahblah:

suck it bitches:madspit:

i agree -- my only point is how silly it is to look at a single DVD and make conclusions that all concert-goers from X country are totally lame.

:shrug:

to get back to the thread topic. I actually rather dislike both dvds. Not so much for the content as for the directing and editing. I just can't stand Hamilton's style. Fuzzy shots just for the sake of fuzzy shots, never holding a single angle for more than a few seconds, nervous jump cuts all over the place, too many close ups (just to name a few of my gripes). Bring back whoever shot ZooTV sydney and have them do these shows the justice they deserve. Hamilton just doesn't seem to be able to capture the grandeur of a U2 show that well.

That said, I just watched the Milan dvd and was surprised at how hoarse Bono sounded through most of it. I'm not surprised they decided not to do a big official release of the whole concert.

Diemen said:
Bring back whoever shot ZooTV sydney and have them do these shows the justice they deserve.

David Mallet , who did the 2 Masterpieces : ZooSyd and PopMexico

No wonder , ZooSyd won a Grammy and Popmart , didn't coz the way US loved Popmart , besides the fact it was shot in mexico .......

It's not all sweat on the crowd in Milan. It was pouring rain at times. There were power outages in Europe due to some huge storms.

If I had to rank them, my favorites are
Slade Castle
Boston
ZooTV
Chicago

with Milan receiving an incomplete -- this isn't really a video, it's a bunch of excerpts.

I think the Milan DVD does have some good points. Some of the camera work is stunning but that does not make up for Bono's voice. Likewise, I think the performances are tighter (in a good way) in Chicago but the overall effect is really kind of drab. Too much fancy dancy camera work.

Whereas nothing can really top Slade Castle for either performances or emotion, and despte the insult someone threw at my Bostonian cousins, that was one hot performance (Edge smashing his guitar is worth the price of the DVD.)

Whereas nothing can really top Slade Castle for either performances or emotion, and despte the insult someone threw at my Bostonian cousins, that was one hot performance (Edge smashing his guitar is worth the price of the DVD.)

I think you mean "Slane" Castle...

From what I hear it depends a lot on the city in the US too. My friend went to see them play Philly three times, and watched my Vertigo: Chicago DVD, and immediately noticed how much more into it Philly had been on all three nights he saw them (2nd May show, both October nights).

He also noted how surprisingly short Bono was. :wink:

phillyfan26 said:
From what I hear it depends a lot on the city in the US too. My friend went to see them play Philly three times, and watched my Vertigo: Chicago DVD, and immediately noticed how much more into it Philly had been on all three nights he saw them (2nd May show, both October nights).

i've seen U2 in three different countries and six different cities, and while it wasn't the best concert, the best crowd i've been a part of was in Philly.

when everyone in your section knows the words to both "an cat dubh" and "yahweh," you know you're in a good place.

silvrlvr said:
It's not all sweat on the crowd in Milan. It was pouring rain at times. There were power outages in Europe due to some huge storms.

Call me crazy, but was there a roof on the stadium? I saw a couple of shots of what looked like at least a partial roof.

Also, I thought there was at least one shot of someone spraying the front rows with a big hose, to cool them down.

Rattle & Hum footage destroys both...and where was that filmed again???

So either American fans are best, or Hamish sucks :)

Vertigo DVD from Milan is lotta better than the Vertigo DVD from Chicago. (better audience, and the Guys are in a better form:))
Original Of the Species, Miss Saraievo, and WOWY are amazing on the Milan DVD.

But I have to tell that - for me- the tour-film named Rattle and Hum, and the Go Home (Live from Slane ) DVD are the greatest ever officially made u2-DVDs.:drool:

CTU2fan said:
Rattle & Hum footage destroys both...and where was that filmed again???

So either American fans are best, or Hamish sucks :)

it would be Hamish sucks, since there does NOT exist such thing as best fans....
can we please quit this argument people?

Corianderstem, most EU stadiums have a roof, but it can be taken 'off'... I know the dutch stadium has a glass roof... but I don't think Milan had more of a roof than shown in the first seconds of the film...

gonad said:

I like the 'looseness' of Bono and the boys on the Milan DVD - on the Chicago DVD they just seem a bit 'tight'. I wonder if that has to do with it being relatively early in the tour. And I think this can affect a crowd's reaction.

I always thought it was the other way around - the audience can boost the band's playing. If the crowd is into it, they will be too. And there is no director that can make an average audience look great.

(that said, they're almost always a bit tight on official DVDs; compare those shows to bootlegs of shows they play right after the shoot)

Back
Top Bottom