VERTIGO: Bringing the ATYCLB bashers back into the fold?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jick

Refugee
When U2 started going experimental in the 90's, they slowly lost their original 80's fan base who liked U2's "signature" sound and simplicity. The final nail in the coffin was the POP album which alienated a lot of fans.

U2 righted the ship with the release of ATYCLB and brought the old fans back into the fold and earned new fans as well. Whether you are a ATYCLB supporter or basher, statistics show that ATYCLB was more commercially successful than POP.

However, not everyone was happy with ATYCLB - it was the POP lovers who mostly hated it. They asserted that U2 had gone "mellow" and "compromised" their music to win back fans. U2 had sold out and sacrificed all the artistic and creative steps they took in the 90's to go backwards.

So despite the success of ATYCLB, there were still some "pockets of resistance" for U2's new direction - who are also known as the "noisy minority" or the "pop lovers." And during the past 4 years when there was no U2 thing to talk about, fans in all the forums rehashed to death the POP vs ATYCLB debate.

But so far, based on the reviews and comments it seems like U2 have managed the near-impossible: unify the ATYCLB and POP bashers. It seems everyone is happy with Vertigo, especially the pro-POP anti-ATYCLB crowd. Is this an accurate statement? To all the ATYCLB bashers only - were you pleased with Vertigo?

I think this would be U2's great legacy considering that this is perhaps their final album. U2 have reunited all their fans and made a single that is unanimously loved by all.

Cheers,

J

I think all the ATYCLB bashing is unnecessary. When I first got that album, it was such a whimsical experience to be able to... experience it.

And I don't think this is the final album: In the interview thing, they indirectly made reference to the best of 2000-2010. They'd need a bit to fill that up

Dr_Macphisto said:
I think all the ATYCLB bashing is unnecessary. When I first got that album, it was such a whimsical experience to be able to... experience it.

And I don't think this is the final album: In the interview thing, they indirectly made reference to the best of 2000-2010. They'd need a bit to fill that up

Let's not try to divert the topic on whether ATYCLB bashing is necessary or not. The fact is that there are ATYCLB bashers. The point of this thread is the confirm if these bashers have agreed with my premise that Vertigo has brought them back to the U2 fold after the alienantion and grief ATYCLB has brought them.

Cheers,

J

It is a step in the right direction, i think. Final verdict will not be out until about a year or 2 from now when the whole album has had a chance to sink in.

JOFO said:
I think my dog just farted.

Just how old are you? Why do people post such juvenile and inane junk here?

To Jick - great post. I'm not an ATYCLB basher, but I'm interested in the responses here.

On a more serious note;

I'm not an ATYCLB basher but I dislike it in comparison to most other U2 albums. I like POP better than ATYCLB. To me, Vertigo rocks. I'm so pumped about it. I'm even more excited about the album now. I think you make an accurate assessment in that Vertigo unites the ATYCLB and POP camps.

J, you must have missed my thread, I was thinking something like that too:

http://forum.interference.com/t97086.html

I love Vertigo, it rocks hard! I also loved ATYCLB for different reasons. I am not a Pop or much of a Zooropa fan. I love all the previous albums. Right now I am so excited! :hyper:

I was always under the impression that "ATYCLB bashers" were those who liked or preferred their '90s work and didn't like the approach they took with ATYCLB.

I know I like their '90s work better overall than I do ATYCLB, though I still like the album itself.

AchtungJedi said:
I was always under the impression that "ATYCLB bashers" were those who liked or preferred their '90s work and didn't like the approach they took with ATYCLB.

I'm not an ATYCLB basher, though it is my least favourite album, and I love eighties U2 much more than nineties U2. I fail to see how ATYCLB brought alienated eighties fans back into the fold.

Back
Top Bottom