Vertigo at the Grammy Awards

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

malhithearnaz

The Fly
In all the excitement, a simple fact has gone a little under-appreciated I believe.

Vertigo won in all 3 categories!! I have been a big supporter of this song since it came out, while many here do not like it a whole lot (and that is an opinion I completely understand btw). For many it was just a rocking filler song. I just feel good that the song is kind of vindicated. FILLERS DO NOT WIN GRAMMIES!

On another note, I think the Vertigo video is the worst by U2. They did not deserve the award for the video by any stretch of imagination, barring the possibility that all the other rock videos were of even inferior quality last year! I haven't seen most so can't be the judge of that.

PS: Vertigo rocks the pants off any rock song from 2004!!

Vertigo was a good video it tried something different and maybe it could have done better but it was a good video for the song and the album in general. As for Vertigo winning musical awards I was plesently surprised they won, there is still a strong anti U2 sentiment out there and I am glad U2 won.

I would love to see U2 get "Album of the Year". I felt ATYCLB deserved it, not the album that won (and I'm sorry, but I abhor the album that won). But if you disagree, then I definitely felt AB should have won it. The fact that U2 were "robbed" twice here is sad. Heck, there was even some question in 1988 when U2 were up against Michael Jackson (and many thought Jackson would win again). Thank goodness at least JT won. I'm hoping that HTDAAB makes up for the robbery of AB and ATYCLB and wins U2 another "Album of the Year" award.

Read this article from Kayne West the cry baby.

CP) - Fresh off his three Grammy wins and a riveting performance, rapper Kanye West stirred up some controversy backstage wondering why he wasn't nominated in the producer of the year category.

"I didn't understand that," exclaimed West, whose credits include Alicia Keys and Jay-Z.

"But being that I got the most nominations it would just seem out of place to say 'Well, what about producer of the year?' But that really was at the back of my mind."

Best producer went to John Shanks. His credits this year included Alanis Morissette's So-Called Chaos and Ashlee Simpson's Autobiography.

West often gets into trouble making comments backstage at awards shows. He lashed out against Dick Clark and the American Music Awards saying they should have never invited him to perform if they weren't going to give him a trophy.

West said his team entered as many Grammy categories as possible to ensure at least one win.

"They put me down for everything ... album packaging, video of the year, everything!" he said.

"The nominations for video of the year are crazy. It's no videos you've ever seen before, like George Michael. Did ya'll know he had a video?"

U2's Vertigo took the category.

When asked about having won three of a possible 10, he quipped: "I would have preferred 10."

doctorwho said:
I'm hoping that HTDAAB makes up for the robbery of AB and ATYCLB and wins U2 another "Album of the Year" award.

That'd be cool.

Personally, I thought the "Vertigo" video was pretty cool. It was certainly something different from a lot of the other kinds of videos I saw last year. And I do like the song, too. Sure, it got played every which way you turned last year, but it's still a good song, imho.

Angela

i like the video. i like the concept. the special effects were relevant to the title, the chorus part where bono sings all of this... gives a striking semblance to a devil tempting someone and
bono acted just right. not overproduced, not overly pizzazz, no skin, no expletives or beeps, but just right. that's why it won. a lot of videos we see these days are too artsy fartsy but somehow misses the point on relevance and the basic objective of the video. vertigo has all of that.. none of the artsy fartsy, pizzazz, pretensions, definitely no showing of skin to make it "memorable" or attention grabbing.

I really like Vertigo, too. It gets the adrenaline pumping like a great rock song should! :rockon: I also think the video was a good fit for the song, with the wicked special effects.

I love Vertigo. I have since the first time I heard it. It got what it deserved. To win.

As a member of the Recording Academy (National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences) who put on The Grammys), U2 is a solid and safe favorite. period.

So yes, I'm guessing they will sweep next year.

Also I think 'American Idiot' is a great song, much better than Boulevard of Broken Dreams, but it gets a lot of crap here in comparison to the latter. Sometimes I get the feeling that the more the song rocks, the less it is liked by people here. Vertigo suffers from the same malaise.

malhithearnaz said:
In all the excitement, a simple fact has gone a little under-appreciated I believe.

Vertigo won in all 3 categories!! I have been a big supporter of this song since it came out, while many here do not like it a whole lot (and that is an opinion I completely understand btw). For many it was just a rocking filler song. I just feel good that the song is kind of vindicated. FILLERS DO NOT WIN GRAMMIES!

On another note, I think the Vertigo video is the worst by U2. They did not deserve the award for the video by any stretch of imagination, barring the possibility that all the other rock videos were of even inferior quality last year! I haven't seen most so can't be the judge of that.

PS: Vertigo rocks the pants off any rock song from 2004!!

britney spears also won a grammy sunday for "Toxic":wink:

I think Vertigo is liked much more than you may think. There are a few idiots on this forum who just like to bash because the get some sexual pleasure out of it. We here that love the song and the album just tend to forget the positive things said a little more and let the negatives get to us more.

> britney spears also won a grammy sunday for "Toxic"

Well she didn't go against Greenday, The Killers, Franz Ferdinand and U2. :)

Yahweh said:
Read this article from Kayne West the cry baby.

CP) - Fresh off his three Grammy wins and a riveting performance, rapper Kanye West stirred up some controversy backstage wondering why he wasn't nominated in the producer of the year category.

"I didn't understand that," exclaimed West, whose credits include Alicia Keys and Jay-Z.

"But being that I got the most nominations it would just seem out of place to say 'Well, what about producer of the year?' But that really was at the back of my mind."

Best producer went to John Shanks. His credits this year included Alanis Morissette's So-Called Chaos and Ashlee Simpson's Autobiography.

West often gets into trouble making comments backstage at awards shows. He lashed out against Dick Clark and the American Music Awards saying they should have never invited him to perform if they weren't going to give him a trophy.

West said his team entered as many Grammy categories as possible to ensure at least one win.

"They put me down for everything ... album packaging, video of the year, everything!" he said.

"The nominations for video of the year are crazy. It's no videos you've ever seen before, like George Michael. Did ya'll know he had a video?"

U2's Vertigo took the category.

When asked about having won three of a possible 10, he quipped: "I would have preferred 10."

I think he's a pompous ass. Wah wah wah...:huh:

I LOVE the album, love vertigo, and I love the band, but i seriously cannot see how people think the video for vertigo is creative. . . it was a one (two?) day shoot in a desert that has a bunch of cameras spinning around the band with 80s-ish CGI. Not only is it simple and non-creative but I think boring. It just looks cheaply done.

ABOY and SYCMIOYO are much better videos - and involve some emotion - ABOY because of how absolutely insane NYC was on that day and the latter because of the obvious emotional valence the song has for Bono. . .

As for Kayne West - *I LOVE* the look on his face when Maroon 5 won the award for best new artist- it looks like someone punched him in the stomach! :D

U2Girl1978 said:
I think he's a pompous ass. Wah wah wah...:huh:

Does seem a bit whiny in that article (and yes, I did know George Michael had a video out last year, actually-ah, the joys of the classic/current show on VH1 Classic :). I mean, if he didn't watch TV that often last year, I can see him saying that, but regardless, other people did, and so that's why those got nominated).

He won three awards-I'd say that'd be better than winning nothing, so he should be happy with that. He's got plenty of other chances throughout his career (if he thinks it's going to be such a long one, which he probably does, then he shouldn't worry too much).

Angela

I LOVE the album, love vertigo, and I love the band, but i seriously cannot see how people think the video for vertigo is creative. . . it was a one (two?) day shoot in a desert that has a bunch of cameras spinning around the band with 80s-ish CGI. Not only is it simple and non-creative but I think boring. It just looks cheaply done.

Exactly...I can't believe that some fans actually defended the video. I agree we all have diferent tastes, but some things are just not good. The Vertigo video is definitely one of them. I probably saw 5 videos last year, and I think the other 4 were better than Vertigo.

Back
Top Bottom