'Vertigo' allegedly will be played today on Southern CA radio station - pt5

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i got on about 9 ( central time) called my friends, changed my msn name and then i found out after calling evyone and emailing and whatnot that the song is not out!

Wording was something like U2 marathon *plus* new song will be played. Then Rollins said he didn;t like U2 and everybody went bananas. Bananas, I tell you! I think they'll play it sometime after Rollins.

Yes, Rollins' hate of U2 - especially of Bono - started long ago. But when Bono was told of it, he asked who Rollins was! :lol:

And while he accuses U2 of selling out, as I wrote above, Rollins has done everything in his power to stay in the public light in some fashion. Note - he's now doing DJ duties! He has even praised U2 on VH-1 and MTV! For a man who hates U2 as much as he does, his love of fame is such that he's willing to say something nice about them just to be on TV. Now, who is really the sell-out here?

I'm not sure what caused the hate? Maybe he just didn't like Bono's speeches during the JT/R&H era. I know a LOT of people didn't like that (even those who love the JT era U2). But to go on to the extremes Rollins does isn't healthy.

dmahoney10 said:
Lawsuits for false advertising... rage about Rollins making fun of U2... God, people, relax, haha. Besides, they didn't say *when* they'd play it tonight. As in the angry emails might be premature.

Granted, most of us wrote our e-mails and such in the heat of the moment - but when you spend close on seven hours waiting and waiting for that one magical moment when you can listen to new U2, I think you have a right to be angry. I could have done plenty of other things this evening, but I decided to tune into that utter tosh of a radio station. They can't do that to people. Whether they play the song or not, that was still wrong.

I don't think it will be to long before Rollins is on some crappy reality show like 'The Surreal Life'.

GibsonGirl said:

Granted, most of us wrote our e-mails and such in the heat of the moment - but when you spend close on seven hours waiting and waiting for that one magical moment when you can listen to new U2, I think you have a right to be angry. I could have done plenty of other things this evening, but I decided to tune into that utter tosh of a radio station. They can't do that to people. Whether they play the song or not, that was still wrong.

What she said, except two hours for me. :|

dmahoney10 said:
Wording was something like U2 marathon *plus* new song will be played. Then Rollins said he didn;t like U2 and everybody went bananas. Bananas, I tell you! I think they'll play it sometime after Rollins.

Why would they play it after Rollins and his derogoatory words? The station managers made a seriuous erro in judgemnt if they actaully decided "ok we're gonna play U2 all day and then have Rollins come on as usual and bash U2 as we know he will, and then-and this is the best part, we'll play the new U2 single!" :scratch:

starsgoblue said:

like I said why, if they were truly going to have a WORLD premiere of this single, would they interrupt a marathon to have Rollins bashing them and start playing his own stuff....makes no sense at all

Because, and I mean no disrespect to excited U2 fans, the radio station's pre-existing fan base lives in LA, is driving home from work or eating holiday BBQ, didn't spend hours listening to a web stream, and might actually enjoy listening to the weekly Rollins show at its usual time. Aaaaaand... the night's not over yet, and they might still play the song.

Rollins can't really bash U2 saying their music is crap.. What kind of position is he in to do such a thing? His only real credibility came when he front Black Flag. After that he was in the less popular Rollins Band that never really was successful, they only had one hit on MTV with that song "Liar." Now look at Rollins. he turns up on VH1 list shows.. He's hostiing his own radio show on a small radio station and that is about all. He can't knock someone like U2 which is successful and has been for over 20 years, which has done more for this world than he ever will.

No kidding around, in the last 50 seconds or so, rollins has said "uh" "um" or "like" 15 or 16 times. I would make a better DJ, and that says a lot.

dmahoney10 said:

Because, and I mean no disrespect to excited U2 fans, the radio station's pre-existing fan base lives in LA, is driving home from work or eating holiday BBQ, didn't spend hours listening to a web stream, and might actually enjoy listening to the weekly Rollins show at its usual time. Aaaaaand... the night's not over yet, and they might still play the song.

But that kinda defeats the purpose of a marathong doesn't it?

with you too Gibson Girl. i sent a 'classy' email too to the station that i posted before, and i couldnt help but send this to rollins- "WASTE OF TIME NICE TO SEE YOU RECORDING...WAIT YOU'RE AN INDIE RADIO DJ NICE GIG" i kept it short cus i figure itll get deleted

starsgoblue said:

Why would they play it after Rollins and his derogoatory words? The station managers made a seriuous erro in judgemnt if they actaully decided "ok we're gonna play U2 all day and then have Rollins come on as usual and bash U2 as we know he will, and then-and this is the best part, we'll play the new U2 single!" :scratch:

like elvis said, if they are playing it, then the band oked it. and im sure they woudnt have done so if they knew this guy would be bashing them. not good advertising for u2 . that is if they do know about this.

Yes, Rollins' hate of U2 - especially of Bono - started long ago. But when Bono was told of it, he asked who Rollins was!

Hee! Here it is, from Flanagan's book:

"Ah, no," I say. "Henry Rollins is good." And I immediately wonder if I've put my foot in my mouth.

[the author goes on to explain the hate, etc.]

The air hangs heavy over our lunch table for a moment and then Bono says casually, "Henry Rollins -- is that the vegetarian?"

mofo82 said:
with you too Gibson Girl. i sent a 'classy' email too to the station that i posted before, and i couldnt help but send this to rollins- "WASTE OF TIME NICE TO SEE YOU RECORDING...WAIT YOU'RE AN INDIE RADIO DJ NICE GIG" i kept it short cus i figure itll get deleted

Oh I'd love to send him something like that... He'd probably laugh though, asshole that he is.

I can't believe we've been had by a has-been.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom