'Vertigo' allegedly will be played today on Southern CA radio station - pt5

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
starsgoblue said:

I think there was a misunderstanding. SOmeone asked why Rollins is such a dick towards U2. Well I know for a fact that Rollins is gay. So I just said perhaps Bono turned him down once...and Rollins is bitter. Just speculation because I can't see why else Rollins would be such a jerk.

I have no idea about Rollins' sexuality or his preferences, but I do know that he openly stated how he wanted to kill Bono once. And, to me, that wasn't cool. Because when a public figure starts going on about how he wants to kill another public figure, who knows what some fanatic will do.

Also, we never heard Bono say such things. I think Bono doesn't even really know who Rollins is! :lol:

Rollins also said that he respects Bono's work in Africa, but then commented that he felt it was being done for publicity for U2's new record. Yes, most artists promote new material by spending time with AIDS patients. Advertise on TV or music stores? Nah - let's avoid family and spend weeks and weeks with AIDS patients and politicians. Yep, that'll generate the big sales we want for the new record. What a maroon, that Rollins.

Worse is that this fame whore has done everything he can to hold onto his 15 minutes. Maybe some like Black Flag, but that happened many years ago (and was his best work). He's taken all sorts of bit parts in B-movies and will appear on VH-1 at a drop of a hat. Heck, at times he's even said GOOD things about U2 on MTV or VH-1! That's how much of a fame whore this man is. I have no respect for him. Even so, I wouldn't wish someone kill him.

Last edited:
StlElevation said:
you guys sent such polite emails
well, i dont want the email to be

"I'm a U2 fan, Henry Rollins sucks"

I wanted it to be slighly un biased

Mine was a bit more to the point and a bit more harsh.

How on EARTH can you advertise "THE WORLD PREMIERE OF THE NEW U2 SINGLE" and not do it!? It only makes it WORSE that you put Henry Rollins of all people on when the new song should have been played! I am NEVER listening to your lying radio station EVER again, nor will any of my friends!

I should make another one.

Well, now that I know what time Rollins' show ends, I can turn it off and turn it back on when its over to see if the marathon starts back up.

The music on this show really isn't that bad. I liked that Bad Brains song. I just don't want to have to listen to that pouser/moron between songs. I guess it would never occur to him that some people actually like both indie/punk music AND U2. I guess I missed the memo that they are supposed to be mutually exclusive. Hmm, maybe I should send an e-mail to the station telling them they really pissed off a potential new listener...

Last edited:
Here's the e-mail I sent:

Hello.

I'm writing this message to express my utter disgust at the stunt your radio station pulled today. I (and PLENTY of other fans, for that matter) think it was extremely juvenile and of little taste. To hold a day-long U2 marathon, drop hints at premiering the new single, and then have that idiot of a DJ come on the air and say negative things about the band was not funny at all. I thought your station had some class - obviously, I was wrong. But hey, it got your ratings up for a couple of hours, didn't it?

I sincerely hope you get sued for misrepresentation.

- Stephanie

They aren't playing it...I don't know why I'm still listening. This station would not advertise a world premiere and then put Rollins of all people on only to play it afterwards....doesn't make any sense.

neutral said:
For the folks asking what the deal is with Bono and Asshat Rollins......

Apparently Henry Rollins thinks that Bono's charity/DATA/etc work is just a way for him to promote their albums. He also thinks they want to be The Clash (?) and that they "sold out". :yawn:

http://www.macphisto.net/article522.html

http://www.bullymag.com/6.6.02/u2-060802.asp

http://www.rockrap.com/new/today.html

Oh yeah because Bono made so much money by staying in Africa several times. And when he's lobbying the govt. I bet he's really talking to his prime audience group....what a jack-o-lope.

what the hell has this guy done to put himself in a position to say that........both on the money raising end and rock star status??????

GibsonGirl said:
Here's the e-mail I sent:

Hello.

I'm writing this message to express my utter disgust at the stunt your radio station pulled today. I (and PLENTY of other fans, for that matter) think it was extremely juvenile and of little taste. To hold a day-long U2 marathon, drop hints at premiering the new single, and then have that idiot of a DJ come on the air and say negative things about the band was not funny at all. I thought your station had some class - obviously, I was wrong. But hey, it got your ratings up for a couple of hours, didn't it?

I sincerely hope you get sued for misrepresentation.

- Stephanie

Thats great stephanie!
I thought it was really funny that your email started off on aa almost friendly note,'Hello', and then went into a complaint.

Apparently Henry Rollins thinks that Bono's charity/DATA/etc work is just a way for him to promote their albums.

But it started way before that, no? The hate is mentioned in Bill Flanagan's book.

Lawsuits for false advertising... rage about Rollins making fun of U2... God, people, relax, haha. Besides, they didn't say *when* they'd play it tonight. As in the angry emails might be premature.

The exact wording is in one of the threads, if there's a brave soul here that wants to go look.

eruditz said:

But it started way before that, no? The hate is mentioned in Bill Flanagan's book.

Yeah, about 20 years ago if I recall correctly, about the "selling out" thing. :yawn: I think it was back then that Rollins said he'd like to see Bono dead.

Last edited:
dmahoney10 said:
Lawsuits for false advertising... rage about Rollins making fun of U2... God, people, relax, haha. Besides, they didn't say *when* they'd play it tonight. As in the angry emails might be premature.

like I said why, if they were truly going to have a WORLD premiere of this single, would they interrupt a marathon to have Rollins bashing them and start playing his own stuff....makes no sense at all

Sitting through the same U2 songs is tolerable, but I commend you all for sitting through an hour of Henry Rollins.

Rollins had some problem with Bono after Bono climbed to the top of the stage at the US festival.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom