Vegas Notes & the continuing saga of the Banner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jezebel

War Child
I'm finally back with the living....

Had a great time in Vegas, naturally, wish more of you could have joined us at our happy hour, it was fun!!! Thanks to sula, martha, lindaleehg, my buddies Brian & Joann from Chicago, tiny dancer, murlio & tana!

So here's what happened to the banner (an unfinished story by jezebel):

I took the banner down from the fence about the time the GA people were going in (thanks murlio!). I was flipping out thinking security wouldn't let me bring it in. So Kelli aka u2flame offered to carry it in her backpack. No problem there. Tiny dancer and I then retrieved it and took it to our section. While we were waiting for the show to start, I walked down to the bottom of the section (112)and found a perfect spot over the railing to hang it...right by Edge's side of the heart. Wouldn't have been in anyone's way and no fire danger. I talked to a security supervisor and he said, no way, we'll just take it right down. Ok, so on to plan b. So tiny dancer and myself are kind of out in the aisle, trying to refold it, and another security guy appears out of nowhere like stink on shit. It wasn't just that we were out in the aisle, it was what the banner said. He had a real problem with the Interference.com part (this is where all of the Interferencers boo and hiss). He was afraid of some sort of advertisement/conflict of interest (you know, like maybe they won't sell as much Bud if we hang this banner up or something like that!) So he went to talk to HIS supervisor during No Doubt's set and came back about a 1/2 hour later. He says, no go. I said, Can I talk to you out in the lobby? So out in the lobby, I asked the security guy, how about a compromise? What if we fold the Interference part over so people can only see the flags/heart in a suitcase/Peace on Earth? (how can anyone object to that?)Plus that would make the banner a little smaller and maybe easier to handle. So he said, OK, but don't go out in the aisle and make sure Interference.com doesn't show (more boos). Now I'm starting to wonder how the Wire banner could be shown in every arena, it was the same thing, right? Anyhow, so we're folding the banner up in such a way that supposedly we can unroll it during Sunday Bloody Sunday or Pride or maybe during the encore. The thing is still TOO DAMN BIG. And of course, no one around us wants anything to do with it. They might miss 15 seconds of the show, AHHHH!!!!

So Kelli came to the rescue a second time...I took it up to her and she and her husband tried to display it as best as they could, but they were way up in the nosebleeds....

So Monday morning comes around, and I'm thinking I'll take the thing home and have a banner burning party
frown.gif
when I came across Inca and a couple of his very nice friends who were off to LA3 and most of the other remaining shows. They offered to take the banner and try to bring it in to the arenas wherever they could. So I hope some of the LA Interferencers got to sign it, and I hope that maybe the banner will appear in some pictures along the way. Sounds like at least it will get as far as Miami
biggrin.gif
then it will either come home to Joshua Tree or else find it's way to the next leg of the tour!

By the way, I got lots of compliments on my Interference t-shirt!!! It's cool!

[This message has been edited by jezebel (edited 11-20-2001).]

If it?s any consolation I did see the banner briefly up in the nosebleeds. Great effort on your part and I do hope it tours with the band. Who knows where it will show up?

It would be a shame to burn it though.

------------------
Imagine
//oo\\
(For those of you from south of Italy, //oo\\ = John Lennon)

http://eliv8.fws1.com/

No, I wouldn't burn it! I'd keep it forever! What a souvenir!!!

------------------
"I don't know you,
But you don't know the half of it..."

Originally posted by SicilianGoddess:

That pisses me off. Maybe we should have left the .com part off.. blah.

That's what I was thinking too **sigh**

Thanks for the update, NicaMom. I was wondering if it made into Staples...guess it didn't....

**jezebel wonders where the banner is...maybe on the way to Phoenix**

You know, for all the uptight, anal-retentive "security" they had in the arena, there was none in the fucking parking lot! It took almost an hour to go 100 yards due to lack of supervision and drunken numbskulls trying to leave!! ARGH!! But the banner was beautiful!! I still think someone (whoever has it now) should mail it to Propaganda or Principle. (With a heads-up phone call or email so they don't think it's something evil.)

------------------
...a highway with no one on it, a treasure just to look upon it...

"She's hyperventilating." --my podiatrist (about me) 10-24-01

GOD what asses!!!

That pisses me off. Maybe we should have left the .com part off.. blah.

Well I'm glad it was viewable for a little bit.

blargy security.

Back
Top Bottom