Using the U2 Trilogies Theory

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rafiennes

Refugee
Here’s a question:

Boy to Man Trilogy – Boy - October - War. A boy tries hard to be a man. Who will take him by the hand as he begins to enter adulthood. And as he does, he begins to see the world around him is not as idyllic as he thought, or hoped it once was. Time to sing a new song.

The Two Americas Trilogy – The Unforgettable Fire - The Joshua Tree - Rattle & Hum. Confronting the America in your consciousness, the one that you’ve been inundated with by media. Finally going there and touching and tasting it, embracing it, warts and all. You leave with ascrap book of your memories, your experiences in Central America, The Heartland and more importantly...Sun Studios.

The Nighttown Trilogy – Achtung, Baby – Zooropa – Pop. Wanting to leave the humdrum life for something better and finally going there. Immersing yourself in the lifestyle of Zooropa. And then the hangover after you’ve left the discotheque and have to go back to your real life. Not everything can be mirror balls and velvet dresses. Wake up, dead man...time to live again.

_______________ -- All That You Can’t Leave behind – How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb -- ???????? What’s this one about? Albums with long song titles? Mid life crisis? The goal of soul? Xanax? Wine? What do you think?

Its about embracment of mainstream culture. Its a band coming of age, with a nod to its past, and realising thats home'where the heart is' (Walk On)

Zooropa and Pop were not treated like great albums, and U2 perhaps feels it needs 2 gain critical acclaim once more. Even if it is just for its own 'happiness'.

But the fact is there will never be anova Jt (sales wise) - There is just to much music about now for everyone to buy one album

The Contrived Trilogy :wink:

I'm just kidding. I love the Bomb

Rafiennes said:
Here’s a question:

Boy to Man Trilogy – Boy - October - War. A boy tries hard to be a man. Who will take him by the hand as he begins to enter adulthood. And as he does, he begins to see the world around him is not as idyllic as he thought, or hoped it once was. Time to sing a new song.

The Two Americas Trilogy – The Unforgettable Fire - The Joshua Tree - Rattle & Hum. Confronting the America in your consciousness, the one that you’ve been inundated with by media. Finally going there and touching and tasting it, embracing it, warts and all. You leave with ascrap book of your memories, your experiences in Central America, The Heartland and more importantly...Sun Studios.

The Nighttown Trilogy – Achtung, Baby – Zooropa – Pop. Wanting to leave the humdrum life for something better and finally going there. Immersing yourself in the lifestyle of Zooropa. And then the hangover after you’ve left the discotheque and have to go back to your real life. Not everything can be mirror balls and velvet dresses. Wake up, dead man...time to live again.

_______________ -- All That You Can’t Leave behind – How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb -- ???????? What’s this one about? Albums with long song titles? Mid life crisis? The goal of soul? Xanax? Wine? What do you think?

Pretty interesting thought :up:
You might want to send this to George Lucas so he can start filming a new "Star Wars Trilogy", but this time based on an intergalactic rock band... :eyebrow: :wink:

BTW... that last part is defenitly gotta be a mid-life crisis hittin´ the band members. Or it could just be too much Xanax and wine :lol:

I'd like an album embracing their middle age. No more pretending to be young 'rock stars'. I'm craving something real and honest. Might as well be proud of who you are and demand that you've got something to say.

I don't see AB as anything like Pop. Zooropa was a connector though.

mmm *nods*
i've heard about this theory (although it might not have been called exactly what you called it, lol) before, and it does make sense.

"Album full of singles" trilogy, LOL!! =)

Rafiennes wrote: -- All That You Can’t Leave behind – How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb -- ???????? What’s this one about? Albums with long song titles? Mid life crisis? The goal of soul? Xanax? Wine? What do you think?
the 4 men without balls trilogy.

Dude, I really genuinely love reading your little album by album journey as you have your first listens, so don't get me wrong, but.... you shouldn't make judgements against people who know each album intimately and have done so for years. That's not a "one type of fan is better than another" thing, far from it - your opinions on the albums you've heard and how they relate to each other are just as valuable as mine or anyones. Just saying that if a large % of people feel that something is lacking in the last couple of albums as opposed to the 8 previous albums, you should wait until you have had the opportunity to listen to and absorb all of those albums before judging their opinions and beliefs on the subject. It would seem pretty stupid to you if I were doing the reverse - suggesting that people shouldn't criticise Pop or Zooropa in comparison to The Bomb and ATYCLB when I'd never even heard those last two.

Granted there are a couple of people who make continual, repetitive, almost immature sniper attacks on the last two albums - and they annoy me as much as they annoy the most die hard Bomb lover - but for the most part criticisms of the albums are grounded in perfectly logical and mature arguments to back up those feelings. This is a discussion forum, a MUSIC one as well...

Earnie Shavers said:
Dude, I really genuinely love reading your little album by album journey as you have your first listens, so don't get me wrong, but.... you shouldn't make judgements against people who know each album intimately and have done so for years. That's not a "one type of fan is better than another" thing, far from it - your opinions on the albums you've heard and how they relate to each other are just as valuable as mine or anyones. Just saying that if a large % of people feel that something is lacking in the last couple of albums as opposed to the 8 previous albums, you should wait until you have had the opportunity to listen to and absorb all of those albums before judging their opinions and beliefs on the subject. It would seem pretty stupid to you if I were doing the reverse - suggesting that people shouldn't criticise Pop or Zooropa in comparison to The Bomb and ATYCLB when I'd never even heard those last two.

Granted there are a couple of people who make continual, repetitive, almost immature sniper attacks on the last two albums - and they annoy me as much as they annoy the most die hard Bomb lover - but for the most part criticisms of the albums are grounded in perfectly logical and mature arguments to back up those feelings. This is a discussion forum, a MUSIC one as well...

:up: :up:

Yeah, I have been a little bit defensive lately and I do agee with your post Earnie Shavers. I just don't think that U2 lost their personality or creativity. I am gonna back down a bit now but there are a few comments in this thread that I don't agree with, that's all. I'd also like to say that I love all the albums I have so far, but why would U2 keep making albums if there was no creativity?

Earnie Shavers said:

I'm not sure...was this directed towards me?

Earnie Shavers said:

Not at all.

OK, I think I missed a post or something - I intended to make this post to get some discussion going on, some genuine thoughts about what these albums will be about when all is said and done.

Earnie's post is very much needed in a forum where the word 'hater' is thrown around too much... ATYCLB hater or Bomb hater! we're not haters! We discuss. ('we' as in people who've been somewhat/really disappointed by these last 2 albums and think the band could've done a better job!)

Well, to keep the topic going, I'll say what I think...

With all the past albums, you hear a certain heavy sound influence. But with ATYCLB and HTDAAB, I'm getting an all new feel. It seems like they've cut all the heavy genre influences (First Era, early rock band, Second Era, homegrown american beauty, third Era, Experimental heavy electronics) and have gone back to the basics. Nothing heavily altered or swayed. Music straight from the heart without the gimmicks (not real gimimcks, but you know what I mean). It's kind of hard to explain... I see it as that universal, beautiful, "this is who we are, lets open our soul" Era.

Then again, just my opinion :wink:

Zootlesque said:
('we' as in people who've been somewhat/really disappointed by these last 2 albums and think the band could've done a better job!)

And that's where a 15 year old boy needs to realise that some people just don't like the the last 2 albums. I don't necessarily agree, but from now on I am not going to say that anybody is wrong. I just got tired of the constant 'security, back-to-the-basics, u2-by-the-numbers, etc, etc.

Now I think I'll add my own opinion - apologies to Rafiennes fo hijacking your thread.

Maybe this trilogy will be the one where U2 does write some lyrics which aren't as deep, but show a lighter side of the band, a trilogy where they are taking a breath of fresh air and enjoying making fun, light, poppy songs.

U2 in the 2000s is the FLUFFY BUNNY era
i'm not kidding...they became lame poprockers...sorry for my opinion
top10.bunny.jpg

Back
Top Bottom