USD$1,400.00 for an "Achtung, Baby" promo?!?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2FanPeter

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Sold last night on ebay to a buyer in Italy.

AB "solicitatation" pre-release promo. One of the rarest official u2 items out there. Cardboard box about the size of and LP. Inside is an VHS EPK(5mins) and a cassette with 4 early mixes from the album(different vocals/mixes than the final version) These have been bootlegged.

Noteworthy for the fact that UTEOTW was seriously considered the 4th single, while EBTTRT(or MW, I forget which one) was not considered a single.

u2fp

30 seconds before the auction closed it was at $700.

Obviously it was a bidding war bloodbath.

I'd be shocked if the buyer ever admits their purchase publically. I do know that there are several "world's biggest u2 collector" out there who must have certain items.

One fan admitting spending $300,000 over the past 20 years on memorabilia/tickets/travel. They were featured in a u2 special("How Bono made his millions"?) and I think they were in the UK.

Last edited:
popacrobat said:
hey if they have the cash flow and want it, why not?

Because a Bono or Edge(Music Rising)signature series guitar would be a much nicer item in roughly the budget that looks far better on display?

If i had the money i'd pay anything for a rare promo of my fav album of all time.

U2FanPeter said:

Because a Bono or Edge(Music Rising)signature series guitar would be a much nicer item in roughly the budget that looks far better on display?

so? i mean, what if they want the AB promo more because of it's rarity? What if they don't have the room to house a guitar?

I think it's a silly notion to say that the guy should have spent his money on that, but not the AB promo.

popacrobat said:

so? i mean, what if they want the AB promo more because of it's rarity? What if they don't have the room to house a guitar?

I think it's a silly notion to say that the guy should have spent his money on that, but not the AB promo.

No need to get so defensive, it's ok if you spent that much money, it is pretty rare. Hopefully you still have a VCR that works...:wink:

Are there other U2 items that sell for that price range?(not counting anything stage used like the auctioned bandana or anything signed)

-MSG tickets have sold for stupid money in the past
-signature series guitars from Edge & Bono
-AB promo

BonoVoxSupastar said:
No need to get so defensive, it's ok if you spent that much money, it is pretty rare. Hopefully you still have a VCR that works...:wink:

And a cassette player.

Even though playing either tape could potentially devalue the items, especially when the content of both are easily available on the 'net.

I like the forum meber who suggested that they may not have room for a guitar in their house, after spending a mortgage payment on a VHS tape wrapped in cardboard.

BTW, it was sold by a friend in Vancouver. I have handled the thing, and it is pretty damn cool - I too am a AB lover. I would have paid 60-75, before we/they figured out it's rarity.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

i had to buy one of those "VCRs" off ebay too :wink:

U2FanPeter said:

And a cassette player.

Even though playing either tape could potentially devalue the items, especially when the content of both are easily available on the 'net.

I like the forum meber who suggested that they may not have room for a guitar in their house, after spending a mortgage payment on a VHS tape wrapped in cardboard.

BTW, it was sold by a friend in Vancouver. I have handled the thing, and it is pretty damn cool - I too am a AB lover. I would have paid 60-75, before we/they figured out it's rarity.

maybe they have an apartment or something, or a college dorm room. who knows. regardless, perhaps the guy just thinks the thing he bought is cooler/worth more than a guitar.

i can't really say how we should tell people to spend their money. if the guy has the bank to buy it, go for it. if he wants a guitar, go for that too. i mean, is it a lot of money? sure. but should he buy 1400 dollars worth of apples or oranges? all comes down to taste. :shrug:

popacrobat said:
maybe they have an apartment or something, or a college dorm room. who knows. regardless, perhaps the guy just thinks the thing he bought is cooler/worth more than a guitar.

i can't really say how we should tell people to spend their money. if the guy has the bank to buy it, go for it. if he wants a guitar, go for that too. i mean, is it a lot of money? sure. but should he buy 1400 dollars worth of apples or oranges? all comes down to taste. :shrug:

What do you think Bono, Edge, Larry and Adam would think? "Beautiful Ebay?" as Larry wrote in one of the U2ByU2 books at a signing to an obvious non-fan

I would image that Paul McBusiness is dreaming up some way to invoke the "not for sale" printing on the item and get that $1,400 himself.

u2fp

U2FanPeter said:

What do you think Bono, Edge, Larry and Adam would think? "Beautiful Ebay?" as Larry wrote in one of the U2ByU2 books at a signing to an obvious non-fan

I would image that Paul McBusiness is dreaming up some way to invoke the "not for sale" printing on the item and get that $1,400 himself.

u2fp

i don't really know what the band would think. it's an extremely rare item that is now what, 17 years old? i'm sure they realize there is not much control over that. and i doubt they're too concerned about it. there's no reason to be. as long as somebody is willing to pay more than the next person, rare things are going to cost money regardless of what the band thinks.

If I had millions, I might spend that much on a rare U2 item I really cared about. But the AB promo certainly wouldn't be one of those.

Back
Top Bottom