US "Stuck" Video References

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Achtung Bubba

Refugee
Okay: let's compile a list of all the definite and possible references to U2 within the US (Super Bowl) video for "Stuck In A Moment". I'll begin by listing all the ones I caught; everyone else can fill in the gaps.
smile.gif

(Some of the references are obvious; I still listed the complete reference for the sake of completeness.)

1. The Flys : the song "The Fly".

2. The Lemons : the song "Lemon" and POPMart's mirrorball lemon.

3. The "unforgettable Firedome" : the album and song "The Unforgettable Fire".

4. "...this Sunday, Bloody Sunday" : the song "Sunday Bloody Sunday".

5. Coach Dave Evans : the real name of the Edge (the coach also wears a hat!).

6. "...definitely made some edgy plays" : reference to the Edge.

7. Coach Paul McGuinness : named after U2's manager.

8. "Triple Pride Bowl Crown", an award won by Coach McGuinness : the song "Pride".

9. The score, 41-39 : the songs "40" and "One" (40 + 1 = 41, 40 - 1 = 39).

10. Paul Hewson : Bono's real name.

11. "1", Hewson's jersey number : the song "One".

12. "Angel of Harlem", Hewson's nickname : the song "Angel of Harlem.

13. "I <heart> NY", on a shirt next to Bono : the song "New York".

14. The defensive player that is closest to blocking the kick, jersey number "40" : the song "40".

15. The Edge's Yankees (baseball) shirt : the song "New York".

16. The "Irish Times", Adam's newspaper : U2 is Irish.

17. The pink bunny : Okay, bunnies are associated with the Playboy Bunny, and there's the song "The Playboy Mansion".

(If you can find a better reason for the bunny, I'd love to hear it.)

18. The mailman uniform/the old mailman : Bono's dad, who recently passed away, was a postal worker.

ANY MORE?!

------------------
- Achtung Bubba

Bono, Larry, Adam, Edge are in it and they are in the band.

Am I funny?

Or is my boredom obvious.

------------------
"Don't worry about the world ending today. It's already tomorrow in Australia."

matt2870@hotmail.com

I haven't seen the video yet. *cries* Is the pink bunny a stuffed bunny? Like the large one that was in the GA line at the NorthEast Elevation concerts?

Originally posted by Achtung Bubba:
15. The Edge's Yankees (baseball) shirt : the song "New York".

Or it might also be an alusion to that guy at the Irving plaza gig, you know...'YAANNKKEEESS BASEBALL!!!'

Does Madden call it "the unforgettable Firedome"? I guess I missed that...I just assumed it was a reference to the song "Fire."

I noticed the rabbit seems to be a hallucination, it appears that no one actually sees him, except "Hewson" (Unless I need to go back and watch the vid again) Anyway, this is a lot like the 1950 Jimmy Stewart film "Harvey" in which he has an imaginary friend, who only he can see, which is a six foot tall rabbit. Also, the end with the whole postman thing, is a lot like "Field of Dreams", with the little story of the young ball player turning into the old doctor. I don't know, just brain storming here...
smile.gif

------------------
"I'm already gone... Felt that way all along..."

[This message has been edited by pvanort (edited 09-06-2001).]

Yeah, my theory on the "bunny" was just a theory, and a weak one at that. Connecting it to "The Playboy Mansion" is probably the least obvious in the entire video, so I'm SURE it could other meanings.

And the ending has nothing to do with Field of Dreams: that was a baseball movie, and we're dealing with football!

Kidding, obviously.
biggrin.gif

------------------
- Achtung Bubba

Back
Top Bottom