Us

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sledgehammer

The Fly
Just another senseless Peter Gabriel thread.

us_big.jpg

"The further on I go, oh the less I know
I can find
only us breathing
Only us sleeping
Only us dreaming
Only us"

------------------
"Find the meaning of the act, remember how it goes
Every time you take the water and you swim against the flow
The world is all around us, the days are flying past
And fear is so contagious, but I?m not afraid to laugh"

Neil Finn

[This message has been edited by Sledgehammer (edited 11-04-2001).]

(HOPEFULLY fixed the image. -Bubba)

[This message has been edited by Achtung Bubba (edited 11-04-2001).]

Peter Gabriel is brilliant and US is my personal favourite record of his. I suppose it's because he understands about US. His best records are certainly PG3, So, Passion and US.

US is my favourite because it is both musically and lyrically special. Lyrically, it possesses themes that everyone can identify with as people. Failure in love, emotional neediness, miscommunication, anger, despair and lust. Musically, it is kind of like U2 did with Pop - to create a different form of rock music. Peter combined traditional rock instrumentation (guitars, bass, drums) with world music to create a complex and unique sound. It is the most lavishly produced CD in my collection. Great supporting musicians including Daniel Lanois and Brian Eno. The sounds on Love to be Loved are just incredible. Anyone can identify with the themes on US.

My favourite songs are all of them especially Come Talk To Me, Love to be Loved, Blood of Eden, Steam, Digging in The Dirt and Fourteen Black Paintings. Digging in the Dirt is the best song about anger ever written (Great video as well). Fourteen Black Paintings is incredible and has intensely beautifully music combined with touching words and Peter's best vocal performance:

From the pain come the dream
From the dream come the vision
From the vision come the people
And from the people come the power
From this power come the change
(Fourteen Black Paintings)

Those words fit the state of the world at the moment and are deeply touching.
You should also get the All About US video as well because that contains some of his greatest videos and how they were made.

By the way does anyone know whether I can still get a copy of the CV video? It's stupid if it's gone out of print because he's the innovator of the music video and it's silly for all his work not to be available. I see the Sledgehammer video all the time on VH1 but I haven't seen the one for Big Time in ages.

Also, will UP ever be released? I reckon it will sound like US but even more world music based. I doubt that there will be any poppier songs like Steam and Kiss That Frog which is a shame.

Great songs, great videos.

He rocks!!!

------------------
Fan named Matt (as a fellow fan prepares to take a picture of him with Larry): "You know Larry, I'm a drummer in a band too."

Larry (looks at fan and shrugs, smiling pleasantly toward the camera): "Well, Matt, we all have our problems."

~*April*~

(AIM-POPLemonGirl)

*gasp*

Have I ever told the story of when Peter Gabriel came to me in a dream?

------------------
~*Mona*~
WHAT YOU DON'T HAVE YOU DON'T NEED IT NOW
WHAT YOU DON'T KNOW YOU CAN FEEL IT SOMEHOW

"Your girl leans over and says, 'Daddy, can you turn that radio up any louder?'" ~Bruce~

DREAM OUT LOUD

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom