Update of The Fly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

starsgoblue

Blue Crack Addict
So yeah, just watching the Boston DVD for the zillionth time :reject:

I am very impressed with U2's update of The Fly when its performed live compared to the single version, especially the beggining with just Bono singing that new part....not to mention the ending also with the loop. All around I think it gives a new freshness to that song...am I full of it?

Last edited:
You're not full of it at all - U2 took "The Fly" in a great new direction. It's a badass song that deserves to be played - especially with all of the phrases in it!

haha how strange Ive been listening to the live version loads lately, Im addicted to the start of it - its just really beautiful and then it kicks in!!! Love that song, def one of my favourites and i hope they play it on the new tour as well!!!

I really like "updated" version of the song, but I do miss Edge's backing vocals. Still, it was a real treat for all fans. I'm sure no one saw it coming. Hope they have some surprises for the new tour as well.

The beggining of it really is beautiful, isn't it? :sad: It gets me...

It's almost like the starting lyric is from the persona the Fly himself who is looking back on his years since his glory days...it has a reminiscent quality to it. Anyone agree?

Last edited:
starsgoblue said:
The beggining of it really is beautiful, isn't it? :sad: It gets me...

It's almost like the starting lyric is from the persona the Fly himself who is looking back on his years since his glory days...it has a reminiscent quality to it. Anyone agree?

Absolutely! I love how the Edge is playing that little melody as Bono goes into the opening intro.

It definitely has that ethereal, yet rueful quality to it, because Bono is singing it in a lower key, and we are all used to hearing it in the falsetto ('Love, we shine like a burning star. we're falling from the sky, tonight'). And then BOOM- everything kicks in at once - guitars, bass, drums, lights, screen. Classic elevation moments, classic U2.

The Fly is a U2 masterpiece - I really hope we see it again on this tour...

AJ

The Fly is just one of the best rock songs ever and that version is just perfect!!!! I absolutely love that song, I love how Edge plays the riff through the entire song on the Boston version and the intro is just great. It still is my favorite ending of a song (along with UTEOTW) with that extra solo and Larry going crazy on the drums!!! Fucking great!! They must play it again!!!! :up:

Hawk269 said:

Absolutely! I love how the Edge is playing that little melody as Bono goes into the opening intro.

It definitely has that ethereal, yet rueful quality to it, because Bono is singing it in a lower key, and we are all used to hearing it in the falsetto ('Love, we shine like a burning star. we're falling from the sky, tonight'). And then BOOM- everything kicks in at once - guitars, bass, drums, lights, screen. Classic elevation moments, classic U2.

The Fly is a U2 masterpiece - I really hope we see it again on this tour...

AJ

:up: :up:

Great version on Elevation tour, but I do like the ZOO TV version better. Edge's vocals were great, but still, loved how they played it a lot on Elevation (except the third leg, of course)/

The first time i heard the intro my jaw dropped, it is absolutely stunning and then Bono singing quietly over it, my favorite one is when Bono sings "YOU CAN HAVE IT ALLLLLL, YOU CAN HAVE IT ALLLLLLL" I heard that from the Phoenix bootleg and it still gives me chills. :drool:

Not to offend anyone, but while I enjoy both live versions very much, I think the original live version with Edge's vocals is far better than the Elevation version. Edge's vocals add a lot to that song in terms of the ambiance it had and in terms of illustrating with the music where the band was in 1991-93. Also, in the ZooTV versions, Bono sang the 'a man will...' part of the chorus in a higher octave, and I think that made it more powerful for me. Just an opinion.

namkcuR said:
Not to offend anyone, but while I enjoy both live versions very much, I think the original live version with Edge's vocals is far better than the Elevation version. Edge's vocals add a lot to that song in terms of the ambiance it had and in terms of illustrating with the music where the band was in 1991-93. Also, in the ZooTV versions, Bono sang the 'a man will...' part of the chorus in a higher octave, and I think that made it more powerful for me. Just an opinion.

They're all just opinions.:wink:

EvolutionMonkey said:
my favorite one is when Bono sings "YOU CAN HAVE IT ALLLLLL, YOU CAN HAVE IT ALLLLLLL" I heard that from the Phoenix bootleg and it still gives me chills. :drool:

Yeah that part to me is where it really seems like The Fly is looking back to his heyday...still trying to convince himself that he's not heading to MacPhisto-land.

Either that or I overanaylze life way tooo much....:wink:

starsgoblue said:

Yeah that part to me is where it really seems like The Fly is looking back to his heyday...still trying to convince himself that he's not heading to MacPhisto-land.

Either that or I overanaylze life way tooo much....:wink:

Ive never thought of that :hmm: I guess i'll have to listen tot it again right now and analyze. :D

Back
Top Bottom