Until The End Of The World (AB vers)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oliveu2cm

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
I've been listening to Achtung Baby lately and while each song is a mini-masterpiece imo, Until has really shone through each recent listen.

Bono's voice on this song is just gorgeous. It is thick and he hits every note and drags them out. He doesn't overextend into high-note hit-or-miss range. He sings it with sadness, regret.. even the "love love" part is more of a mourning cry rather than exaltation.

If you stop and *listen* to his voice during this song it will make you tremble. It truly is another instrument.

It's one of those moments where I forget I'm listening to Bono but more listen to the story/character he is portraying. Really brillant song.

I kissed your lips and broke your heart, you, you were actin' like it was the end of the world.

It took me a while to appreciate this song. I remember it being part of a small group of Achtung Baby songs that had yet to click..I loved the guitar work and especially solo (someone once described it as a sonic albatross which I think was pretty close). It was actually Bono's chant of "..Love Love Love" after Edge had stepped back which grabbed me and when I could see a character coming through which I could apply to the rest of the song..fantastic and haunting song. I just wish it had a true video to its name..something original...pre-cling film wrapped Edge aside..:p

ACROB@T said:
I loved the guitar work and especially solo (someone once described it as a sonic albatross which I think was pretty close).

I just wish it had a true video to its name..something original...pre-cling film wrapped Edge aside..:p

Yes and yes!! They could have gone places with a video for this song.. but like they say they don't like to do videos or whatever. too bad! In a way videos are deceiving b/c a video will always give you a set image of the song while a song could encompass many different themes/ideas/images. On the other hand.. while dark and murky the video they did of UTEOTW could have been improved.

Edge's guitar and Larry's drums are two other standouts in the song. :yes: The way it screeches and rides, it's a sort of scary admission- completely in tune with the character. :up:

AB has been my favorite U2 album for years, but I only recently discovered the gem that is UTEOTW. I think hearing it live really helped with that.

oliveu2cm said:
In a way videos are deceiving b/c a video will always give you a set image of the song while a song could encompass many different themes/ideas/images

I agree its important to sometimes keep a song flexible. I do think it would have been possible to create a video which had a genric quality like the third video they shot for One with the buffalo herd/still images. A video that asks more questions rather than hand out answers would have been great. I actually think the UTEOTW video does it well in that respect but just didn't connect well with me.

Back
Top Bottom