Until The End Of The World: A U2 ROCK Collection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
I've just put together a two-disc thirty-two-song set of what I consider to be the hardest-rocking songs U2 has ever put on record. It's by no means just the hits. It's the hardest rocking songs. There will plenty of great songs that aren't here because they don't ROCK as much as this stuff. I limited myself to just album songs and stand-alone singles. No b-sides(There's only one b-side post War that would even make the cut as far as I'm concerned...LWTSH, and with The Fly and UTEOTW already there, it would be redundant). Anyway, I just watched the Metallica documentary 'Some Kind Of Monster' and I was in the mood for ROCK so this is what I came up with.

Disc 1:

1)Vertigo
2)Stories For Boys
3)Sunday Bloody Sunday
4)Rejoice
5)Bullet The Blue Sky
6)All Because Of You
7)The Refugee
8)Last Night On Earth
9)Even Better Than The Real Thing
10)Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me
11)Exit
12)Love And Peace Or Else
13)Numb
14)Until The End Of The World
15)I Threw A Brick Through A Window
16)The Electric Co.

Disc 2:

1)Out Of Control
2)Discotheque
3)Mofo
4)I Will Follow
5)Like A Song
6)Zoo Station
7)Fire
8)Dirty Day
9)Gone
10)The Fly
11)Elevation
12)Miami
13)Seconds
14)A Celebration
15)New York
16)11 O'Clock Tick Tock

Last edited:
Zootlesque said:
I like your selections but The Refugee and Like A Song have got to be here!!! :rockon:

The Refugee rocks a lot but it is not good enough imo to knock anything that's there out. Like A Song...I love the song but it's not enough of a rocker to me.

Why must you take something out? I'm sure you can fit more than 15 songs on one CD! But if you have to, I would take Numb out and put one of those that I mentioned. Numb is more electronic and ambient than rocking for me.

Zootlesque said:
Why must you take something out? I'm sure you can fit more than 15 songs on one CD! But if you have to, I would take Numb out and put one of those that I mentioned. Numb is more electronic and ambient than rocking for me.

Ok, I added both in. Upon re-listening to Like A Song, the Edge solo between the second and third verses convinced me. I'm not taking out Numb though.

Like A Song, not rock enough? It's probably in the top five when it comes to U2's hardest songs. Sure as hell rocks harder than Seconds; don't know what that's doing there.

Axver said:
Like A Song, not rock enough? It's probably in the top five when it comes to U2's hardest songs. Sure as hell rocks harder than Seconds; don't know what that's doing there.

Top 5? You ARE nuts.

Most of what I have there is harder than Like A Song. It is harder than I at first said it was, though, which is why I added it without any further hesitation.

And Seconds is there because it does rock.

What about God Part II and Desire?

Last edited:
namkcuR said:

Top 5? You ARE nuts.

Most of what I have there is harder than Like A Song. It is harder than I at first said it was, though, which is why I added it without any further hesitation.

And Seconds is there because it does rock.

You've never heard Like A Song have you?

I thought about God Part II. It's NOT top 5. You people are using the phrase 'Top 5' WAY too liberally. Maybe I'll add it, I don't know yet.

Desire is not hard.

And yes MrBrau, I've heard LAS many many many times. Don't get all condescending here.

Last edited:
namkcuR said:
I thought about God Part II. It's NOT top 5. You people are using the phrase 'Top 5' WAY too liberally. Maybe I'll add it, I don't know yet.

And yes MrBrau, I've heard LAS many many many times. Don't get all condescending here.

You posted the list. The only way someone could omit LAS is if they never heard it.

MrBrau1 said:

A U2 rock collection w/o Like A Song or God Part 2 isn't a U2 rock collection.

You know you really come off as an asshole, you know that? What gives you the right to be so condescending and snobbish? And this isn't just about this thread. I've seen you act this way to a lot of people here. If you disagree with my list, fine, but don't make bullshit blanket statements that basically serve to say, 'my opinion is fact and yours is wrong'.

I made a tape for my cousin (big metal head) who always liked Bullet and Exit (he had the Joshua Tree)

I had many of the songs you have on your discs, but this was probably around the POP era, because I remember he liked Mofo.

I really like this idea namkcuR. Up till now I've been either listening to their released albums, or bootlegs of concerts. I think I'll definately make a U2 rock collection cd for my car. Crank it up all the way while driving to work.

Sken

namkcuR said:

You know you really come off as an asshole, you know that? What gives you the right to be so condescending and snobbish? And this isn't just about this thread. I've seen you act this way to a lot of people here. If you disagree with my list, fine, but don't make bullshit blanket statements that basically serve to say, 'my opinion is fact and yours is wrong'.

I am an asshole. And you're whiney. You put the list out as the "Ultimate U2 Rock Collection", and wanted people's opinion. Don't start crying cause everything didn't come back rainbows.

YOU LEFT OUT LIKE A SONG AND GOD PART II!

MrBrau1 said:

I am an asshole. And you're whiney. You put the list out as the "Ultimate U2 Rock Collection", and wanted people's opinion. Don't start crying cause everything didn't come back rainbows.

YOU LEFT OUT LIKE A SONG AND GOD PART II!

Where did I use the word 'ultimate'? Point it out. I didn't use that word.

And I have absolutely no problem with people not agreeing with my list. I don't expect all rainbows. You're not the only one who's said anything non-rainbow about the list, you're just the only one who's acting like a deutsche about it.

If you were to put "Desire," the Zoo TV or maybe Lovetown versions would be superswell. Dunno if you're going for all-studio, though

I watched Some Kind of Monster tonight too, on Vh1. Thought it was funny when they did the radio ad, Bob Rock was like "could you see Bono or Edge doing something like that?" And they were just stonefaced.

And I thought it was pretty good, I had heard how great it was, I didn't think it was as great as it was made out to be, but good.
Wanted to see more Dave Mustaine footage, that was sort of flat.

namkcuR said:

Where did I use the word 'ultimate'? Point it out. I didn't use that word.

And I have absolutely no problem with people not agreeing with my list. I don't expect all rainbows. You're not the only one who's said anything non-rainbow about the list, you're just the only one who's acting like a deutsche about it.

If you'd left off HMTMKMKM or BTBS I'd have asked you if you heard them as well. It's how "deutsche bags" like ourselves relate on msg boards. If we'd been in the same room and I said "have you ever heard Like A Song" my tone would come across less asshole. Then we'd listen to LAS together and drink a beer.

MrBrau1 said:

If you'd left off HMTMKMKM or BTBS I'd have asked you if you heard them as well. It's how "deutsche bags" like ourselves relate on msg boards. If we'd been in the same room and I said "have you ever heard Like A Song" my tone would come across less asshole. Then we'd listen to LAS together and drink a beer.

Fine, fair enough. That's different from saying 'the only way you'd leave it off is if you haven't heard it'.

And I'm still waiting to find out where I used the word 'ultimate'.

namkcuR said:

Fine, fair enough. That's different from saying 'the only way you'd leave it off is if you haven't heard it'.

And I'm still waiting to find out where I used the word 'ultimate'.

You didn't. That was me being an asshole.

Axver said:
Seconds; don't know what that's doing there.

I'd have to agree with that one !! Don't get me wrong ...
"Seconds" is a good song ... just not a "rocker" of a song !!
I'd put "Another Time, Another Place" in it's spot instead ...

single EP

Miami
Bullet The Blue Sky
Numb
God Part II
Dirty Day
Wire
Hold Me Thrill Kiss Me Kill Me
Mofo
Last Night On Earth
Exit
Gone