Until The End Of The World

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So. We've all seen the tv, seen the pictures, listened to the news, digested the information, and still we can't believe it. It's like something out of a Hollywood movie... except we'd laugh at it. World Trade Centre collapse? Yeah, right! Thousands of people dead? Sure!!

But it's real.

Is it the beginning of the end of the world then?

No, not quite. However, I would say it is the end of OUR world... the free world and society that we live in today. The majority of us here won't have seen anything like this before. Certainly the Americans among us. Elsewhere in the world - particularly in Eastern Europe - they'll be well aware of the carnage of catastrophic deaths.

I'm from England, and the horrors of the world wars - some 56 years after they finished - are still keenly felt, passed on by grandfathers to fathers to sons. We have some idea what it's like.

Yet that was "years ago" I hear you say. Probably... but remember the unforgettable fire - 250,000 people dying in an instant at Hiroshima. Can you begin to imagine how bad that was? And what happened today in New York was a nightly event for major European cities during certain times of the war.

But America didn't have that problem. It's not used to this... it's simply never happened. It was safe... America has the best security in the world... now we know the price that can be paid for freedom of movement in today's society.

There's not much you can do if a group of madmen decide they want to hijack some planes and crash them into buildings.

When you all wake up tomorrow, it won't have been a dream. It won't even have been a nightmare. It will be reality. The World Trade Centre twin towers are now a historical footnote and thousands of innocent people have been killed. And that reality will have changed the lives of every one of us.

Smell the flowers while you can...

Back
Top Bottom