Until The End Of The World

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theu2fly

Refugee
This is probably every U2 fans favorite song, and I've always wanted to understand why. This song is incredibly textured and well written.

Everything that the band does, from instruments to lyrics, the band never has a dull moment in this song. From the time of that "alarm" clock type beginning, Larry kicks in the tribal almost African like drums. Adam pounds along furiously, Edge strums, slides and chimes. Bono tells a story in a seductive manner...

The song's best point is

In my dreams
I was drowning in sorrow
And my sorrows they learned to swim
Surrounding me, going down on me
Spilling over the brim
Waves of regret and waves of joy
I reached out to the one I tried to destroy, you...

I'm not sure what is the best version of the song is, I do know the early 1992 versions needed some polishing, most noticably Edge's slide was annoying at first, and then he sped it up and really improved. It's Edge's best work among other songs, and a classic, for being a non single.

I'm trying to remember what the POPMart versions are like, and I'll go listen to one later tonight.

Not tryin to ruin ur post mate , but End of the world , doesn't rank in front of Streets or One for example , for me :wink:

The popmart version , very similar , though way more wild and cool the sound , since Edge was already with the Goldtop

Definitely not EVERY fans favorite but it will make most Top 10 lists.

For the record, nothing beats Streets. Nothing.

UTEOTW is AMAZING live...I saw them play it 11-14 here in Miami...the best part is when Bono screams to the audience

EVERYONE HAVING A GOOD TIME????

The crowd just goes nuts

I've always loved that song, but I haven't been able to find a terrific live version. Slane is pretty good, with the end schamozzle. I really the line In my dreams I was drowning my sorrows, but my sorrows they learned to swim

COBL_04 said:
I've always loved that song, but I haven't been able to find a terrific live version. Slane is pretty good, with the end schamozzle. I really the line In my dreams I was drowning my sorrows, but my sorrows they learned to swim

Yes I thought the lyric was "drowning my sorrows."

COBL_04 said:

Sellafield 92
Leeds 97
Mexico 97
Sao Paulo 2006 1 or 2

There are plenty , these are my fav

It is one of my favorites, but like someone else said there really aren't any U2 songs that are better than Where the Streets Have No Name.

It probably gets into quite a few people's top tens but not so many would have it as their number one.
Great song though from my favourite album.
Beautiful, brilliant and shimmering on so many levels.
AT first in 91 I didn't realise it was about Judas etc, just read it on a bittersweet love song levl and loved it, then when I got what Bono was going on about "I kissed your lips and broke my heart"etc, I loved it even more.
This song is magnificent no matter what you think its about.

Any elevation version is good especially Slane.

Popmart were similar except the sound was a bit harder with some really cool chimes going on in edges intro.

Zoo Tv by comparrison is a little weak in comparrison Edge's guitar is not quite a distorted here. I love the "it's not rock n roll ending" tho

Search on Youtube for U2 brits and you will find three cool performances from 2001 of One, Beautiful day and UTEOTW recorded in february 2001 this was a pre cursor to the Elevation tour.

Unfortunately UTTEOTW is cut a little short by the credits but Bono is on TOP form working the crowd. His vocals on the LOVE LOVE LOVE part are out of this world the best I think I have ever heard that part sung.U2 showed that night how a real superstar band performs. I have only seen two other bands/artists on any award show that has made me go F**k that was amazing!

They were Muse and Prince beleive it or not. Boy can that man play the guitar!

In my very humble opinion, one of the greatest rock songs by anyone ever. Especially live.

Indeed, great great song with amazing lyrics. It's definitely in my top 10.

Personally, I rank it as the 3rd best live song, behind Streets and Bullet, though I didn't like the Popmart version.

Best performance is on the Outside Broadcast bootleg and the Singles DVD.

yeah... ummm.. It's not my favorite U2 song.

I'd rank it in the top ten possibly. I think it's much better live. It is a great song just not my favorite. Not sure where that assumption of it being all of our favorite song came from.

The non-single live classic, like Bad. As Edge put it everyone in the band shines with this song.

All versions work, really.
I really like the Elevation's screeching ending when Bono is messing with the guitar strings with his hand.

This song + full volume = sex

This song + live = Best live song ( the band are in full swing)

this song got me an A in critical analysis.

:hyper:

the song/lyrics blew my english prof. away... from the opening screech and hammer and nails drum sounds... brilliant brilliant song. the way bono takes the passion play and turns it into a lyric that many thought were about a bitter love story, which in a way i guess it is... pure genius. IMO this is bono's lyrical high point.

I'm probably one of the few.......but.........

i really dont like the song live

the whole capo on the 4th fret made it too high in my view
(and as a guitarist a little too hard to play), so i prefer the studio version:wink:

in the beginning I didn't like the song much, but after the Slane dvd, and seeing/hearing more and more live performances on my pc, I started to love it badly! it's my favorite live song now, Portland '05 was pretty good! Bono chasing Edge around the ellipse in the end :lol: (still looking for a full video of that!)

Congrats on your A Headache :wink:

Nothing comes before streets, but i must say, during elevation it came quite close. Perfect spot in the setlist, the bullfight kicked ass, it was amazing.

theu2fly said:
This is probably every U2 fans favorite song, and I've always wanted to understand why.

Everything came together on this song--probably started with that great riff from Edge, then when they were recording in Berlin Adam came up with that cool bass line which, as so often with Adam, both grounds the song rhythmically and "leads" as much as the guitar. Bono's lyrics here are some of his best, get to the heart of what U2 is all about. And I noticed particularly on this last tour how much Larry was notching himself up on this song--like when he pounds away on the cymbals right at the beginning. Total "kick-ass" rock-n-roll. The live ending is U2 at their most ferocious, just an all-out sonic assault.

But musically there's also a lot of restraint happening in the verses, which builds tension.

The solo is pure genius--multiple strings creating harmonies and all kinds of wild texture--and the Edge's tone is just tops.

Also, onstage the interplay between Bono and Edge makes for great theater. It's always been one of my favorite live songs.

OK, I'm going on a bit here. But hey, you asked.

I'm not sure what is the best version of the song is, I do know the early 1992 versions needed some polishing, most noticably Edge's slide was annoying at first, and then he sped it up and really improved.

The version from Zoo Radio is great (I believe it was recorded in Houston during the inside broadcast leg) but there are also some excellent versions from Popmart (Seattle), Elevation (Cleveland), and Vertigo (Boston).

By the way, I've seen this song performed quite a bit, including inside the heart during Elevation where I was very close to Edge, and I've never seen Edge use a slide. I don't hear it on the original studio recording, either (I play slide quitar myself so I think I'd pick up on it). Where are you hearing it?

Back
Top Bottom