Unpopular opinion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheFly40

The Fly
I've listened to HTDAAB about 15x's, start to finish over the past few days. This is the first U2 album ever where I DIDN'T get the chills listening to it. I really want to love this album but I think it's WEAK. So bland, vanilla, middle-of-the-road...there's nothing interesting about it. Very safe sounding. Where's the experimentation?? The sonic soundscapes? The layers of sound? The amazing production?? I feel like this is U2 going through the motions.

Also, anyone notice that Bono is really struggling on this album? I find myself wincing quite a bit while listening...particularly in "Origin of Species", what's with the "do, do, do's" in the middle of the song--embarrassing. Also, that whole goofy falsetto action in the middle of "A Man and a Woman". HORRIBLE!!

Bono seems like he's trying to work out his range throughout the whole CD. I know this has been an issue for years, and I'm always the first to defend him, but I can't imagine how terrible he's going to sound halfway through the tour. If he can't nail it in the studio then we're all in for some rough sounding bootlegs. I know, everyone is going to argue that he's sounds "passionate", which maybe true, but that doesn't mean it sounds good.

I know everyone is gushing over this album but I'm just not feeling it.

I agree with nearly every single word you posted, so that you know.

My conclusion is just a bit different--I still really do love this album, so far. I think that it is great; I think that calling it classic is like saying "Peace on Earth" is listenable.

And I did get chills--just once--during "Sometimes..." I've been through some shit in my life, the last year, and that song REALLY spoke to me. I know Bono wrote it for his dad, but lemme' tell ya'....it works for a lover, too!

Sorry...yeah...

You are right, though; at least I think so. Some shady production, especially towards the end of the album; some GOD-FUCKING-AWFUL lyrics; some horrendous vocal performances oftentimes masked with the use of double-tracked vocals; only a bit less predictable than the last album (aka, it's totally predictable); "A Man and a Woman" is on the album...shudder... Just bear in mind that I'm nitpicking--these are, for me, not reasons why this album is shit. They are reasons why the album is a couple light years from being anything close to classic.

TheFly40 said:
Very safe sounding. Where's the experimentation?? The sonic soundscapes? The layers of sound? The amazing production?? I feel like this is U2 going through the motions.

solution: take ATYCLB out of you cd player and listen to HTDAAB.:wink:

TheFly40 said:
I've listened to HTDAAB about 15x's, start to finish over the past few days. This is the first U2 album ever where I DIDN'T get the chills listening to it. I really want to love this album but I think it's WEAK. So bland, vanilla, middle-of-the-road...there's nothing interesting about it. Very safe sounding. Where's the experimentation?? The sonic soundscapes? The layers of sound? The amazing production?? I feel like this is U2 going through the motions.

Also, anyone notice that Bono is really struggling on this album? I find myself wincing quite a bit while listening...particularly in "Origin of Species", what's with the "do, do, do's" in the middle of the song--embarrassing. Also, that whole goofy falsetto action in the middle of "A Man and a Woman". HORRIBLE!!

Bono seems like he's trying to work out his range throughout the whole CD. I know this has been an issue for years, and I'm always the first to defend him, but I can't imagine how terrible he's going to sound halfway through the tour. If he can't nail it in the studio then we're all in for some rough sounding bootlegs. I know, everyone is going to argue that he's sounds "passionate", which maybe true, but that doesn't mean it sounds good.

I know everyone is gushing over this album but I'm just not feeling it.

Welcome to Interference. I see this is your first post. Perhaps you should introduce yourself in the Babyface cafe. Unless of course you are already someone we know who is just using a different alias just to troll around in this forum. This forum is really more for intellectual discussions, not for trolls who just crave for attention.

Cheers,

J

I can see where you can get to this conclusion...BUT
they've done a lot of experimenting. As a JT veteran I'm glad they are back to writing songs. U2 being themselves. I believe they've taken the experimentations and have learned how to apply it when need be. Sure they may not be any innovative sounds on this album but maybe the songs don't need them.
Instead of listening for the NEXT big innovative song, listen to what hes singing and how Edge is back to his old tricks from the Unforgettable Fire and Joshua Tree years.

Wow. By some of the comments in this thread, you would hardly know the authors are U2 fans!

You are entitled to your opinions, yes, but I think it's always a wise choice to enroll in a U2101 class. It really helps you appreciate their music as a whole.:wink:

Re: Re: Unpopular opinion

mikal said:

solution: take ATYCLB out of you cd player and listen to HTDAAB.:wink:

Exactly. I think someone's listening to the wrong bloody album.

Or maybe it is true that every masterpiece has some detractors, for reasons unknown to me. Someone once told me JT was boring. And they called themselves a musician, too.

FullonEdge2 said:
You are entitled to your opinions, yes, but I think it's always a wise choice to enroll in a U2101 class. It really helps you appreciate their music as a whole.:wink:

Yeah, yeah, yeah... Last time I checked, I was in U2 599: Graduate Thesis in U2 Studies. :wink:

I'm beyond 100% sure that you were just kidding, there, but I just wanna' make it clear for anyone tuning in: a dissenting opinion does not mean it's an invalid or uninformed opinion...it's just a different opinion. I'd love to be able to say that whoever said that The Joshua Tree was boring was either insane or just plain stupid, I can't. He/she can feel that way, just as I can and do feel that Pop is as good of an album as is The Joshua Tree; they're tied for second place behind Achtung Baby on my own personal list.

As for "Bunbury," I have a question: is your handle inspired by Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest ...?

What the fuck

BANO SOUNDS FUCKING GREAT. better than pop and atyclb!!!!!!!!!!!!

hes got that AB vocals on htdaab!!!!!!!!!!!!!

actuall i think HTDAAB is bano's album!!!!

Last edited:
Makes me wonder whether or not you guys downloaded the same songs that I did....:|

I find this album to be the most honest and soul-searching album I've ever heard from them. It seems almost as if they finally threw all inhibitions to the wind and said what they've always alluded to in the past. This album has surprised me because I didn't think they could possibly emotionally affect me any deeper than they have before....and they did.

Last edited:
TheFly40 said:
Also, anyone notice that Bono is really struggling on this album? I find myself wincing quite a bit while listening...particularly in "Origin of Species", what's with the "do, do, do's" in the middle of the song--embarrassing.

It's weird, I've seen other people mention that. I love that part though, and look forward to it.

Best lyrics on a U2 album ever.

But to each their own.

I thought Joshua Tree was the best lyrically before this album came out and Achtung Baby had the best music....but this album to me is a combination of the 2.

and again the Beatles did a lot of do do dos in their songs too it is called melody something you should learn about in music class....

Well, my opinion...most of the tracks are simply perfect....some are perhaps fillers

But the most beautiful think, which makes me certain, that this i s going to be huge and remembered - each of tha fans likes different songs, not just 2,3 the same ones - like on ATYCLB

the lyrics...in songs like miracle drug or sometimes if this is bad lyrics, i think am already dead a walking to hell :eek:)

te melodies....iam constantly listening to the songs, that caught me much...miracle drug, sometimes, love and peace, yahweh....the music is brilliant, at least for me

I thnik mamy people have been searching for some abstract lyrics and are a little bit dissapointed with an open, straightforward and clear words - but the life and love are realistic and not abstract.

Take it as an advantage

Last edited:
If you shout... said:

As for "Bunbury," I have a question: is your handle inspired by Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest ...?

Honestly no. haha. I've read it, but the handle is the "last name" of a Spanish rock singer Enrique Bunbury (he was prpbably inspired). He was part of the Spanish hard rock band Heroes del Silencio they broke up in 97'. So that answer your question :wink:

gorman said:

It's weird, I've seen other people mention that. I love that part though, and look forward to it.

Me too. I think it's perfect and it definetly gives the song that Beatles-esque feel.

Also, can I just say that Jick's post in this thread is the funniest thing I've read in weeks? Thank you.

Re: Re: Re: Unpopular opinion

Jaxx said:

Me too. I think it's perfect and it definetly gives the song that Beatles-esque feel.

Also, can I just say that Jick's post in this thread is the funniest thing I've read in weeks? Thank you.

What is funny about my post? I am just nailing down the guy. Obviously, he is one of the "regulars" of this forum who doesn't have the balls to give the unpopular opinion, so he signs in under a new name. Isn't it weird that the guy has only one post and that is his only post? I guess this "regular" ought to face the music and back up what he said, and not hide under an alter-ego.

Cheers,

J

I really really like this album. The thing is, I can easily acknowledge some, if not most, of the faults you guys are highlighting. Yeah, Bono's voice sounds pretty bad in spots. Yeah there are some really, really bad lines. Yeah, the production is questionable on some tracks. And I'll be the first to admit it that if U2 went back to the darker, heavier/grittier sound and more metaphorical/less direct lyrics of the early 90s I would be absolutely ecstatic.

But with all that said, there's an honesty, an openness in this album that is really something special. Even it's flaws and cringe moments seem genuine - like there's a kind of youthful energy and excitement behind it, rather than a veteran's careful consideration, if you get what I mean. The kind of youthful energy that might lead one to "do-do-do" when it might not be the best move, but when it just felt like it needed be done.

It's like U2 have finally accepted who they are. Maybe that makes the 90s a giant diversion (albeit a fascinating and, to some, an arguably musically superior one), but I think it also allows them to drop a lot of baggage and maybe put more earnest energy into songwriting without worrying if they've done it before or if it's not experimental enough or whatever.

Aaaanyway, I'm rambling now, but needless to say, despite this album not being exactly what I'd hoped for, I'm really digging it more with each listen.

Last edited:
the hook to sometimes you can't make it on your own, the intro to original of the species & crumbs from your table really gave me the chills

I think U2 being U2 is quite experimental and different since they haven't done that since October. The 1st 2 albums were U2 doing what they knew how to do.

UF- Ambient landscapes
JT/RH- Country/American roots music
AB-Industrial/dance rock
Zoo-ambient industrial
Pop- Techno/Dance
ATYCLB- R&B/Soul music/pop
HTDAAB- U2 guitar driven rock...and it is very welcome. Not saying i'm not a huge fan of the 90s stuff, i am, but its nice to hear U2 sound like all of U2 in ONE album...so cool!

gorman said:

I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY dislike that part.

Literally ruins the song for me.

Darn, b/c I like it otherwise.

As a matter of fact, I wish Bono had tried those vocals again. It is emotive the "opera in me" part but something is wrong.

They REALLY should not have included the strings either IMO as it blasts the song deep into cheese.

Could have been a successful and even groundbreaking song for them as it is a new style for them I think.

Back
Top Bottom