Unforgettable Fire: The Story Of U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angel

Elvis' Naughty Angel
Hey all! I just picked up a copy of this book by Eamon Dunphy at a used book store. Two questions: 1. Is it any good? (as in trueful and informative) and 2. Is it out of print?

thx!!
biggrin.gif

Entertaining, yes. Truthful? ummm, I think Bono was known to write (when asked to sign autographs in this book) something to the effect of "don't believe everything you read". lol. Not sure if it's still in print or not.

It's not in print anymore....but used copies are easy to find everywehre. At hotpress.com they have an article that lists a few "untruthful" statements from that book.
I like the book, but you do have to take a few parts of the book with a grain of salt.
There isn't(to my knowledge) a book out there that talks as much about their early days as this one. Bill Graham wrote a book, which has a good amount of info on their earlier days, it's hard to read, but the pics are great.

------------------
mrs_clayton@hotmail.com

Well, first, I think it's out of print. I've only ever seen one copy, and that's the one that I bought!

Secondly, it's *mostly* factual. From comments made by the band, it seems as though the author might have stretched a bit in some places. So enjoy it, but take it with a grain of salt.

-Mike

Originally posted by Mike P:

Secondly, it's *mostly* factual. From comments made by the band, it seems as though the author might have stretched a bit in some places. So enjoy it, but take it with a grain of salt.

-Mike

I'd say the part about the baby Bono appearing to be struggling with demons might be one of the parts to take with a grain of salt.

Originally posted by joyfulgirl:

I'd say the part about the baby Bono appearing to be struggling with demons might be one of the parts to take with a grain of salt.

bwahaha. *ahem* Yeah, that might be one of them.
tongue.gif

hehe...that said, I read the book when it first came out and it made me fall hopelessly, desperately in love with the band (that I already loved) so it can't be all bad. Any fan should enjoy it.

Yeah, that's one of them! I was thinking of every place where Dunphy talks about what Band members were thinking. Sure he knows the guys, but he can't read their minds, so it's still nothing more than educated conjecture

-Mike

hehe...that said, I read the book when it first came out and it made me fall hopelessly, desperately in love with the band (that I already loved) so it can't be all bad. Any fan should enjoy it.

Same here joyfulgirl!

I have that book, an original copy from 1987. I think EVERYBODY should read it first, before @TEOTW, after all it does deal with their lives and careers up to that point. There may be some inaccuracies in it, but most if it must be true. The sources for info were mostly the family and close friends of the band and McGuiness. I like it.

------------------
"I DO go on, don't I?"-Bono, MCI Center, DC, June 14, 2001

Originally posted by Mrs.Clayton:
At hotpress.com they have an article that lists a few "untruthful" statements from that book.
I like the book, but you do have to take a few parts of the book with a grain of salt.
There isn't(to my knowledge) a book out there that talks as much about their early days as this one.

First, I think you might be talking about Neil McCormick?s article The Unbelievable Book...really harsh with Eamon Dunphy. You can find it in another book, Three Chords and The Truth.

Second, I agree that Unforgettable Fire is worth once you?re interested in knowing about their childhood and upbringing...and, maybe, that?s all. As already stated above Angel, take it with a grain of salt.
smile.gif

------------------
"To me a rock and roll concert is 3-D, it?s a physical thing - it?s rhythm for the body. It?s a mental thing in that it should be intellectually challenging. But it?s also a spiritual thing, because it?s a community, it?s people agreeing on something, even if it?s only for an hour and a half." (Bono, as quoted in the book U2 The Road to Pop)

The picture of Adam as a young lad in his school robe should of been on the cover of that book.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

Originally posted by david:
The picture of Adam as a young lad in his school robe should of been on the cover of that book.

LMAO!!! Thx everybody!
biggrin.gif
So far I am really enjoying it. LOVE the pictures inside.
wink.gif

Cheers!

I decided to dig this thread up, as I just finished reading this book for the first time. I picked it up last summer in a used book store in Edmonton of all places. Anyway, I thought the book was excellent and very insightful, revealing much of the behind the scene stuff that went into making the band...and the upbringing of each member. I found the book very inspiring. I didn't know there was some dispute over its contents. It seemed as though the band and Eamon Dunphy were quite close, considering the overall tone and passion it is written in. Did U2 have a falling out with Dunphy or something? Can anyone offer more background?

I have a recent pic of Bono with Dunphy and they look friendly to me. I have always loved the book and the stories of their teenage days. It might not be completely accurate in all ways but I don't think there are any damaging or barefaced lies in it or I'm sure there'd be a lawsuit.

I think the stuff they complained about (if it's even true, I've never seen a direct quote by a band member) is that he didn't portray Ali and Anne as enough of their own characters, and he assumed some things and told them for the truth, like, he saw a pic of teen Larry in a leather jacket and wrote that he thought he was James Dean, he heard Bono liked punk and said he shaved his head bald and wore a safety pin through his nose and that was not true, stuff like that.

Back
Top Bottom