Unforgettable Fire appreciation thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jonnytakeawalk

Refugee
UF (the album) really doesn't seem to get much attention on this forum.

IMO it really was U2's first masterpiece. As much a classic as JT or Achtung baby. How can you deny the brilliance of any of these songs,

A sort of homecoming
Pride
Unforgettable fire
Promenade
Bad
MLK
Wire

I think it's time this forum showed it some love! :heart:

jonnytakeawalk said:

Unforgettable fire
Promenade
MLK

Some gorgeous songs right there! :heart:

Promenade is probably one of the most beautiful songs they ever made along with RTSS and Velvet Dress.

The only thing with UF is that it's totally a mood album for me. I have to be in the right mood to really enjoy it! Which is not the case with say, Achtung, JT or Pop.

If Axver wasn't in the setlist party, he'd be in this thread.

UF is probably my third favorite record behind AB and Pop. A Sort Of Homecoming is definitely in my top ten, as well.

Hands down my second fav U2 album, some days even my fav.

The unforgettable fire (lol the song) is just...so amazing..increadable..wish they would play it now a days..although don't know if the B could hit some of the higher notes.

it's a great album from start to finish, although it doesn't have the many obvious singles like joshua tree or achtung baby. it took me a while to get into too.

best songs:
a sort of homecoming
wire
unforgettable fire
promenade
bad

:heart:

I love it all. Even Elvis Presley And America. It makes me think of the fall and jumping into leaves and being young and innocent. It makes me think of a time when everything is okay.

Incidentally, my favorite review of the album is Rolling Stone's. Kurt Loder throws around phrases like "squalls of postpsychedelic ambiance," "paragons of spontaneous clarity," and "post-Spectorian studio auteur" while missing the point by so much that it actually takes twelve million years for light from the point to reach the Earth. His analysis of "Bad":
Such lines as "True colors fly in blue and black/Through silken sky and burning flak" (from the song "Bad") apparently are intended to convey an image, a poetic truth, about the ravages of war. But the attempted metaphor is hopelessly muddled: If the "blue and black" refers to the traumatized flesh of war's victims, what are they doing flying through the sky? Why a "silken" sky?
He must've had an aneurysm when he heard "Elevation."

He still gave it 3/5 stars, even if he only had like two good things to say about the album.

This is my 3rd favorite album :heart:, and Bad, Unforgettable Fire and Pride, are in my top 10 :heart: :heart: :heart:

typhoon said:
Incidentally, my favorite review of the album is Rolling Stone's. Kurt Loder throws around phrases like "squalls of postpsychedelic ambiance," "paragons of spontaneous clarity," and "post-Spectorian studio auteur" while missing the point by so much that it actually takes twelve million years for light from the point to reach the Earth. His analysis of "Bad":

He must've had an aneurysm when he heard "Elevation."

He still gave it 3/5 stars, even if he only had like two good things to say about the album.

:hmm:

Kurt Loder was asked about this a few years ago, and he said if he were to rewrite the review today, it would be more favorable. :wink:

The Unforgettable Fire is, quite simply, the single best album ever made. In one sense, it is a concept album, but not in terms of a story but in terms of a concept of atmospheres. While the Boy era is punkish, the Achtung era is rocking, etc., the UF era is one of beautiful atmospheres and soundscapes. The album has an ethereal, timeless quality with songs from the seductive Promenade to the epic Bad, anthemic Pride, and bleak, haunting Wire. There may only be ten tracks, but the album has great diversity, from a perfectly crafted pop hit (Pride) to the band messing around in the studio (4th Of July). The best part is how well the album flows - I can't fault it. I am particularly keen on the flow of tracks 4-7. The Unforgettable Fire is an eerie, meticulously crafted number, then it fades out into the beautiful and seductive notes of Promenade, which softly merges into the weird and intriguing sounds of 4th Of July, providing the perfect lead-in to the zenith of minimalism that is Bad.

The Unforgettable Fire has this amazing quality throughout the album to conjure up vivid mental landscapes in the listener's mind. The only album that I think can rival UF in this field is The Joshua Tree - other albums may have individual songs that conjure up landscapes (can you say Heartland?) but UF brings forth varied landscapes in each song. It really is an amazing piece of work - and to think it followed War! The War Tour hadn't even finished a year previously when the UF album came out. People talk about the RAH --> Achtung change as if it's something major, but I firmly believe the swifter change in 1983-84 was far greater, heading from post-punk/aggressive political rock straight to a mastery to subtle, beautiful atmospherics.

I do not believe U2 have ever topped The Unforgettable Fire and they would be hard-pressed to do it. I don't think anyone could top this album.

So what do you really think Axver? :wink:

LOL

Here is another vote for the beauty of the album. Love listening to it while reading. :drool:

Jamescorymiko said:
So what do you really think Axver? :wink:

The Unforgettable Fire is directionless garbage, Edge has forgotten what the guitar is, Bono's become emotionless after the anger of War, and Larry and Adam must've been at the pub instead of the studios. What were they thinking, releasing this? I've heard beavers make more creative music than this!

I have a bir problem surrounding this album. I don't actually have it, but I already have The Unforgettable Fire, Bad and Pride (In the Name of Love) from the best of. When I got JT I had already heard Streets, ISHFWILF and WOWY. Now I don't appreciate the album as much because those three kind of don't feel 'a part' of the album because I had already heard them. So I think i'll have the same trouble with TUF. To me it was like JT only had 8 songs, because I had already had the first three.

TUF is my third favorite album, behind JT and AB.

this album is flat out incredible. its got this sound that's difficult to copy. it has songs that go from one mood (ex. wire) to another (ex. promenade) and such creative lyrics (ex. ... ALL) .

just an amazing album imo.

This album is so amazing!!!
It is my third favorite!! The songs are all just so amazing and the lyrics are all so beautiful!!!
A sort of homecoming:drool:
Bad:drool:
MLK:drool:
The Unforgettable Fire:drool:

COBL_04 said:
I have a bir problem surrounding this album. I don't actually have it, but I already have The Unforgettable Fire, Bad and Pride (In the Name of Love) from the best of. When I got JT I had already heard Streets, ISHFWILF and WOWY. Now I don't appreciate the album as much because those three kind of don't feel 'a part' of the album because I had already heard them. So I think i'll have the same trouble with TUF. To me it was like JT only had 8 songs, because I had already had the first three.

:scratch:

COBL_04 said:

I undestand what you mean. I had brought the best of 80-90 before I had brought UF. I know it will seem like you brought an album for only 7 songs, but honestly, those 7 songs are definately worth the purchase, esp A sort of homecoming, MLK, Promenade, wire and (shock horror) Elvis Presley and America.

Carek1230 said:
Does anyone love All I Want is You?

Could you please justify to me why this post belongs on the UNFORGETTABLE FIRE appreciation thread? Seems totally off-topic and worthless to me.

Unforgetable made U2. What i mean by that is that it enabled them to move on, explore ,experiment (arg that word!) it was a brave and in hindsite, wise choice and has resulted in the career that followed....if they had of used Lillywhite again and recorded War part 2 i really dont think they would be around anymore....i could go on but i havnt time.....
IN short a sentimental fave, still gives me goosebumps...i love Bono's description of it being "out of focus".....i have always thought of it as some kind of mystical, magical creature hiding in the mist......:ohmy:

(did i just think that out loud!?)

Back
Top Bottom