Underrated U2 Epics?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
hey all

this is an often-brought-up topic, but seeing as we've had plenty of time to let ATYCLB set in we can add a few more to that list

for mine

Boy- The Electric Co.

October- Tomorrow- arguably the most underrated U2 song of all time, then again, it must be my liking to the pitch that Bono hits. a lot of hardened u2 listeners cannot stand October, purely on the basis it is unfinished, then again so was Pop, and so was Zooropa

Unforgettable Fire- A Sort Of Homecoming

The Joshua Tree- none, because its all good

Rattle and Hum- God Pt 1- damn hardest song to sing, especially when Bono starts going all insane on the highnotes

Achtung Baby- Tryin To Throw Your Arms Around the World- Bono's 'fat lady' is a showcase of what's to come further down the track in the Zoo-Tv Era

Zooropa- Dirty Day, The First Time (sounds like All I Want Is You for some reason but has grows to have its own charm)

Pop- Miami- actually sounds like a 'completed' song in amongst a whole group of others. Probably flamed by U2 traditionalists for being too adventurous

ATYCLB- probably 'When I Look at the World', though if 'In A Little While' is never released as a single, that probably will be a 'why did they never released that song as a single?' filecase

B-Sides
Hallelujah here She Comes- is a funky acoustic song which i just love singing to and jamming to

Im Not Your Baby- is heavily overlooked for some odd reason

Coarpse (These Chains Are WAY TOO LONG!)- Edge gives a good account of his vocalist talent

Originally posted by CrashedCarDriver:
Rattle and Hum- God Pt 1- damn hardest song to sing, especially when Bono starts going all insane on the highnotes

I am absolutely crazy about this song. If Heartland and All I Want Is You (one of the best U2 songs ever) didn't exist, or put up such a fight, I'd argue that God Part II was the best Rattle and Hum song. (BTW, it's God Part II, not part I.
wink.gif
Part I is the John Lennon song, if I'm not mistaken)

Im Not Your Baby- is heavily overlooked for some odd reason

Well, I'd never heard of it (even though I'd heard of *almost* everything) before I looked at a b-sides list in Niall Stokes' Into the Heart. This song isn't the easiest to get ahold of, is it? What is it on even? I have not ever heard it before. Argh.

------------------

"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

Originally posted by CrashedCarDriver:
Pop- Miami- actually sounds like a 'completed' song in amongst a whole group of others. Probably flamed by U2 traditionalists for being too adventurous

ATYCLB- probably 'When I Look at the World', though if 'In A Little While' is never released as a single, that probably will be a 'why did they never released that song as a single?' filecase

Totally agree on those. Very good songs, completely underrated.

I would add:
-Babyface : derided by many for being a shallow song, it's really a very ironic twist on the whole idea of beauty and fame, a knowing commentary on the voyeurism in our society; the little off-key chimes in the background give it an almost sinister feel.
- Zooropa : one of U2's sonic masterpieces; ranks up there with Streets for me
- Rejoice : youthful and naive perhaps, but has a ton of passion and really rocks
- Promenade : poetic and elegaic; simply beautiful

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
- Zooropa : one of U2's sonic masterpieces; ranks up there with Streets for me

I really agree. Zooropa is possibly one of the must underrated songs -- it has wonderful lyrics, and the music is like nothing I've ever heard them do, nor do in the same vein. It is really original and stands out -- such a good song.
biggrin.gif

------------------

"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

If there are no more singles to be released from All That..., then I would have to say Kite definetly falls under this category. As well, the same could be said of In a Little While and possibly When I Look at the World. The fact is that U2 is 4 for 4 on grammy grabbing singles from All That... . It would be a shame if this album didn't pump out one or two more singles.

The most underrated U2 epic?

Easy for me, One Tree Hill. Too bad it had such a short concert life.

Back
Top Bottom