Uncut review...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
purpleblackeye said:
interesting to read Lillywhite's take on ATYCLB....i can't disagree with him either.

Which is why i find it frustrating/perplexing to some extent that this album is getting the same "rating" as ATYCLB. If that record was a 4 you would think someone would give this a 4.5 maybe. Is there a U2 bias out there perhaps? I don't know.. I guess i'll have to wait and see what Rollingstone, Spin, Allmusic, etc give this album. Oh yeah, and i'll have it to hear it for myself also!

i think ATYCLB got good reviews because everybody was tired of the experimentalism and irony (i wasn't though) and embraced the universal and cross-over appeal of the songs. the album came after a decade of roller-coaster like images and sounds (lemons, disco-balls, zoo tv, etc.). now the media is not so excited about back-to-basics, classic U2, so to a certain extent, they will praise it, then make comments about its lack of originality or "autopilot" mode.

purpleblackeye said:
i think ATYCLB got good reviews because everybody was tired of the experimentalism and irony (i wasn't though) and embraced the universal and cross-over appeal of the songs. the album came after a decade of roller-coaster like images and sounds (lemons, disco-balls, zoo tv, etc.). now the media is not so excited about back-to-basics, classic U2, so to a certain extent, they will praise it, then make comments about its lack of originality or "autopilot" mode.

I completely agree. I also worry that the reviews will be tempered because they don't want to give U2 a "free pass" after showering them with nonstop praise for Atyclb.

The ATYCLB comments were made by Lillywhite, not the reviewer. And just because Steve says it, that doesn't make it fact. It's just his opinion.

A lot of people still think ATYCLB is an excellent record, including me. It's not groundbreaking like Achtung Baby, but it is an album full of great tunes, just not innovative ones.

Different people give different opinions the reviewers that gave ATYCLB a 4/5 will be different to those who gave HTDMAAB, just because ATYCLB got a 4 doesn't give this record the given right to get a 5.

well, thanks for typing this up and then for scanning it.

november 23rd where are you? where are thou 11/23??:drool:

This was also a very good review, I like the writers honesty. I'm at an all time high in my anticipation for this album..this review is pretty huge.

No one has said it, but the reason for it is because if you've read Uncut's other reviews on u2, their not the friendliest sometimes to our favorite band. I've read some of their other reviews (also from the "Uncut Legends" issue on them) and they sometimes are pretty harsh on u2. So this makes it even better, what's the date today? :wink:

Last edited:
No problem:) Like you, I am excited by the fact that different people are picking different songs as their favourites...it points to a strong album, so hopefully no filler:):drool:

Back
Top Bottom