uncool things bono has done in the past year,s.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shaun vox

New Yorker
everything after pop.i have to say the Yclef jon(cant spell his name) duet has to be one of the worse moves bono has made and same goes for the song(it was for a good cause but still)and after that bono seems to be doing it all over again like the whats going on and hanging out with all these dum and uncool people.ill try to think of more till then plese share what you thing .

------------------
"BONO'S PRAYER HEAVENS AIR"

ROCK, ROCK, ROCK, ROCK, ROCK&ROLL HIGH SCHOOL.
THE RAMONES

Actually, that was a cheap shot about the spelling. I apologise.
I still don't like the thread much though.

[This message has been edited by zooropamanda (edited 04-06-2002).]

I think Bono has been VERY cool the past year or two. He's done his best tour, some of his best music, and he's done a lot to help the world. So you don't like him hanging with politicians, but better to have them WITH Bono than WITHOUT him, think about that! He can only do good. I don't know what your brand of "COOL" is mister but mine is BONO!

hmmmmmm,

Trying to save a entire continent from self destructing.

Writing songs that go emotionally deeper than his past works. Exposing his vulnerablities and fears.

Exposing himself to different musical styles and artists so he is not locked into a particular "sound"

How is this uncool???

Oh , I think I see, it is uncool because Britney, Fred Durst, Jonathan Davis and others aren't doing the same.
rolleyes.gif

"Be uncool, yes be akward"

YAY for uncoolness

------------------
Daisy

Uncertainty...it can be a guiding light

AIM: daisyone75

I think it's rather cool to try and help people who are dying in 3rd world countries, but I have always been uncool, and I'm not sure about "dum," but definitely dumb.

So... , what do you think is smart and cool? What does Bono need to do to make his image sexier?

I cringe every moment Bono says' "we are the greatest band in the world"

that is possibly one of the dumbest things lately... and this comes from the fact that I know alot of people that really truelly hate U2 now for being so pompus and even that has changed my point of view on them a bit.

you have to admit there isnt much that is cool about "I am the biggest best, baddest mofo in the world".
if I said it then i would be considered a egotistical idiot.

I actually like "New Day." As far as "What's Going On," I prefer The London Version with Chris Martin. Anyway you look at it, both songs were recorded for a good cause, and I don't think that should be looked down upon. I bet all the Britney Spears fans say the same thing: "She's so uncool for recording a song with Boner from V3 or whatever that dumb Scottish band is!"
wink.gif

Originally posted by tchlowlife:

that is possibly one of the dumbest things lately... and this comes from the fact that I know alot of people that really truelly hate U2 now for being so pompus and even that has changed my point of view on them a bit.

you have to admit there isnt much that is cool about "I am the biggest best, baddest mofo in the world".
if I said it then i would be considered a egotistical idiot.

Hmmm...i see it as a self confident statement - any singer of any band thinks his band is the best there is. Bono just happens to be one of those people that say it out loud.
And U2 is one of the very few bands that can actually not look arrogant when they say that.

ps: I thought they were pompous with Popmart.

pps: Charity work is always GOOD in any form.

Bono himself has admitted that he is egotistical. In his position, who wouldn't be?

He has said that they are "the best band on the planet" and this doesn't bother me one bit. It's the truth. They ARE, as far as I'm concerned. ESPECIALLY now, when 99.9% of mainstream music is throwaway garbage!

------------------
"We're one, but we're not the same..."

http://U2Baby.com

Originally posted by tchlowlife:

I agree, it bugs me as well. But I can roll off my back in a Lemmings kind of way because I tend to agree with Bono.

Btw - I thought that jacket Bono wore during the grammies two years ago was ugly and uncool.

When Bono gave a speech (I can't remember if it was video taped) for Patti Smith's lifetime achievement award (or something of that nature) at the Q Awards. Patti Smith went to the mic and told Bono to f*** off when she got on stage b/c she thought the speech was in poor taste or something. When one of your idols makes you look like a fool, then you defintely look un-cool.

Yeah, I also thought Bono's speech was a little lame.

------------------
~ "You can't resist her. She's in your bones. She is your marrow and your ride home. You can't avoid her. She's in the air; in between molecules of oxygen and carbon dioxide." ~ RC

Originally posted by The Wanderer:
wertsie, it's probably because she knows U2's version is better!

Amen! (well, I haven't actually HEARD her version, but who cares? She's on my "list." Her and that little twit Don Henley...grrrr)

------------------

he'll never be as cool as Adam though

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Originally posted by NicaMom:
Flying FuManchu, what did Bono say?
frown.gif

From MTV news:

Bono's introduction of singer Patti Smith at a pre-recorded tribute at a music magazine awards ceremony in London last week apparently raised the punk-icon's blood pressure a bit.

Smith was present to accept a lifetime achievement award. According to a report in Britain's "NME," Bono referred to Ms. Smith as a "sister, lover, and mother."

Smith took umbrage at the description, saying as she accepted the award, "I'm not your mother, Bono. Do your own dirty work. F**k you."

Bono told 'NME," that he expected "nothing less" from Smith, and that "she never let's you down."

U2's spokesperson added, "It's not a lovers tiff. He's still a fan."

Smith later explained to "NME," "I just thought it was presumptuous. I like to be considered a person; I'm not up for grabs."

Originally posted by Bono's American Wife:
From MTV news:

Bono's introduction of singer Patti Smith at a pre-recorded tribute at a music magazine awards ceremony in London last week apparently raised the punk-icon's blood pressure a bit.

Smith was present to accept a lifetime achievement award. According to a report in Britain's "NME," Bono referred to Ms. Smith as a "sister, lover, and mother."

Smith took umbrage at the description, saying as she accepted the award, "I'm not your mother, Bono. Do your own dirty work. F**k you."

Bono told 'NME," that he expected "nothing less" from Smith, and that "she never let's you down."

U2's spokesperson added, "It's not a lovers tiff. He's still a fan."

Smith later explained to "NME," "I just thought it was presumptuous. I like to be considered a person; I'm not up for grabs."

Jesus Christ! What a bitch! Nobody talks to Bono like that!

------------------

That's an excerpt of what he said in that speech.

If people want to know... Bono said that after the Joshua Tree came out, Smith gave him a book as a gift, and a compliment. I think she really liked that album. I think she's on good terms with Bono IMO but some people are sensitive, and the speech did sound emabarassing although I'm sure he wanted to make it sound cool. Bono and U2 seem like huge fans of hers and I don't think Bono would appreciate negativity towards her.

Keep in mind, Patti Smith was not appreciative of the award in the first place (so she might have been in a bad mood) b/c she said it made it seem like her work of the present day wasn't relevant b/c they were trying to glorify her past and make her seem like an artifact. That was the gist of what I thought she was saying. Either way she was pissed. PJ Harvey also made a big deal about how Smith was her idol/ influence. I don't think she was appreciative of the butt kissing. Felt bad for Bono though.

------------------
~ "You can't resist her. She's in your bones. She is your marrow and your ride home. You can't avoid her. She's in the air; in between molecules of oxygen and carbon dioxide." ~ RC

[This message has been edited by Flying FuManchu (edited 04-06-2002).]

I have a recording of the band playing in NYC prior to the Elevation Tour, and during one break, Bono talks about how they were influenced by The Ramones, Patti Smith, and the CBGB's. It seems like he's a BIG fan of Patti's...I know that if I was giving a speech about U2, I'd probably sound uncool and dorky too, you know?

------------------

Patti Smith and her band were on David Letterman a few nights ago and they performed Dancing Barefoot. I didn't care much for her vocals at all.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

I thought New Day kicked ass
frown.gif
I know it was kinda corny, but seriously, I liked it, Bono's 2nd line is really nice, and hey, gone til Novermber is a b side, I dunno.........

Oh, and nice attempt on shit stirring there mister shawn voe

Originally posted by lazyboy:
I thought New Day kicked ass
frown.gif
I know it was kinda corny, but seriously, I liked it, Bono's 2nd line is really nice, and hey, gone til Novermber is a b side, I dunno.........

Oh, and nice attempt on shit stirring there mister shawn voe

I'm not a big rap fan, but Wyclef Jean seems cool. I really like "Gone Til November." It's got soul.

Oh, and my favorite part of "New Day" is when Wyclef says, "Introducing Bono straight outta Dublin!" I don't know why. I just like it!

Have you seen the video? Bono, baby, I love ya, but that hat...uh uh! lmao...

------------------

Back
Top Bottom