Unchained Melody vs Everlasting Love

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The R&H cover of "Unchained" is possibly the worst cover U2 has ever done. Here's this beautiful, melodic, uplifting, romantic song, sung beautifully with angelic falsettos and belted out notes. One would think a JT/R&H era Bono would have easily been able to duplicate the passion of this song. Instead, we hear this harsh, cold, guitar and screaming Bono. The melody and mood were ruined.

On ZOO TV, Bono did this song correctly. A soft strumming guitar, with him hitting some beautiful falsettos - that was brilliant. But on that cover, blech. :barf:

In direct contrast, I adore the cover of "Everlasting Love". It was so good that I can see why I still, from time to time, hear it on the radio or in a movie. U2's version is fast-paced, beautiful strumming guitars and wonderful harmonies and melodies. They all did a brilliant job with this cover and this is why it has survived.

So for me, "Everlasting Love" cover easily wins the battle.

However, if you are discussing the original songs, then I give my vote to "Unchained Melody".

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Well there's like 20 of those, but you may want to check your sources. I haven't seen anything on the web that shows they made a recording of that song. And I definately haven't heard one, and I have quite a bit of their recordings.

Not saying it hasn't been done, I would just like to find out where.

Take a look at this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everlasting_Love

Oh my God, you're right!!!

:reject: My bad! :reject:

chocky said:
They even gave away a free one-track cassette of Everlasting Love when you bought the vinyl version of All I Want is You.

Gosh, i forgot all about that - I bought that, i still have the vinyl single, but haven't seen the cassette in many, many years...maybe i should have a search for it?:scratch:

To answer the question, I love both, but probably think Everlasting Love is a slightly stronger cover version

Back
Top Bottom