Unchained Melody

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScooterXX7

The Fly
When did U2 record this cover? Its...amazing. Bono's vocals are just so crisp and beautiful. The heartfelt "I NEEEED YOUR LOVE..." is so...emotional and real. When did they record it? I've never seen it on any compilations or albums, atleast to my memory.

Unchained Melody: Written by North / Zarrett. Produced by U2. Keyboards by Paul Barrett. Recorded and mixed by Paul Barrett, STS Studios, Dublin. Assisted by Ian Bryan.

I am going to guess around 87 or 88 is when they recorded it.

Last edited:
The song was a B-Side of the All I Want Is You single (together with Everlasting Love).

As for my opinion about the song, I think it's one of their worst covers. They maybe tried to give it a different spin from the well-known version by The Righteous Brothers, but it sounds clunky to me. The rhythm just isn't working.
:shrug:

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of this one, either. But I like it more these days than when it first was released.

Popmartijn said:
The song was a B-Side of the All I Want Is You single (together with Everlasting Love).

As for my opinion about the song, I think it's one of their worst covers. They maybe tried to give it a different spin from the well-known version by The Righteous Brothers, but it sounds clunky to me. The rhythm just isn't working.
:shrug:

Its supposed to be simple...

In addition to being on the single of All I Want Is You it's on the Bsides part of best of 80-90, track 8.

I love it too. I don't see it as being clunky at all. I have about 5 different covers and several DJ remixes of this song, which I'd never really heard until I fell in love with the U2 version on best of. I like theirs better than even the Righteous Brothers, partly because of Edge kicking ass and partly because of the aforementioned Bono "I NEEEEEEED your love" section - it's just so much more emotional and tender than any other version out there.

I'll always love the Righteous Brothers' version, but the U2 will always be my favorite.

Also, Pudge>>>Varitek. ;)

HAHA no way. Varitek's pitcher handling is far superior and if you don't think that means anything look what happens to Sox ptichers every time he's out with a prolonged injury. Varitek doesn't play first base because he can't catch anymore. And yes he had an off year. Anyway Interference has a forum for sports discussion.

Anyway I think we can both agree that

U2 UM >>> Righteous Brothers UM

Its on the best of 1980-1990 Bside disc....that would be the easist way to find it. If you dont have these bsides you are missing out on some other nice gems.

Varitek said:
HAHA no way. Varitek's pitcher handling is far superior and if you don't think that means anything look what happens to Sox ptichers every time he's out with a prolonged injury. Varitek doesn't play first base because he can't catch anymore. And yes he had an off year. Anyway Interference has a forum for sports discussion.

Anyway I think we can both agree that

U2 UM >>> Righteous Brothers UM

I think its the only thing we're gonna agree on...

Pudge is a crappy batter late in his career, we know that. But he's the best defensive catcher, atleast in American League history. And Tigers got alot farther in 2006 then the Sox did, and no one expected us to get a pennant. GO TIGERS!

I fell in love with the Righteous Brothers version of this song long before I even knew U2 had done a cover version. The U2 version is an interesting contrast. The Righteous Brothers version is very smooth and pretty, but to me the raw emotion of the U2 version is a better match for the loneliness and desperation of the lyrics.

Other than Night and Day, I think it's one of U2's best cover versions. If you've ever had a broken heart than Bono's heart wrenching vocals should move you to relive these bitter memories.

An Cat Gav said:
If you've ever had a broken heart than Bono's heart wrenching vocals should move you to relive these bitter memories.
true.

I really don't like any other version of this song..
but this is different.
Its a cliché--but there's honesty in this version. it becomes so much more than a pop song.

I always thought Paint it Black was okay, but yeah, Fortunate Son is the pits. Who knew that U2 could ruin such an awesome song?

:tsk:

corianderstem said:
I always thought Paint it Black was okay, but yeah, Fortunate Son is the pits. Who knew that U2 could ruin such an awesome song?

:tsk:

Wow it's funny I see that one as just the opposite - Fortunate Son is OK to me, while Paint It Black frankly sucks. I prefer CCR's version to U2's though.

I'm not sure I like the rhythm of UM, though Bono's vocals on it really shine. To me Everlasting Love is better.

Put me in the "Love it" camp -- I thought it was a refreshing take on the Righteous Bros. version, which felt dated to me. It is simple, tender, and raw. I also always thought it sounded kind of sexy -- a good candle-lit room song, with the sleepy distortion in the beginning and then the exploding climax. Bono's singing in this one -- very soulful.

Some of the guitar layering deeper in the mix reminds me of Miss Sarajevo a little.

I just got married a week ago, and this was the U2 song that we put on the wedding-favor mix CD. I couldn't bring myself to use With or Without You or All I Want Is You -- romantic songs, both of them, but they sort of send the wrong message.

Still, Unchained Melody fits in so well with the other U2 "love" songs of the period: Sweetest Thing, Luminous Times, Spanish Eyes, Hawkmoon ... all of those explorations on the pitfalls and curses of love, the bitterness and the burns, but also, ultimately, the beauty of love.

I once compiled most of the B-sides from Joshua Tree and Rattle and Hum, and called it "Stormy Kind of Love," with a big dark picture of The Edge on it. I still love that compilation.

Back
Top Bottom