U2's weakest live moments ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Replacing Miami with that useless Edge version of Bloody Sunday is one of the low points for me. Not only was it a 'mistake' setlist wise, it sounds really crap imho and didn't fit in at all in that part of the show.

JulioArca said:
Replacing Miami with that useless Edge version of Bloody Sunday is one of the low points for me. Not only was it a 'mistake' setlist wise, it sounds really crap imho and didn't fit in at all in that part of the show.

:up::up::up: I totally agree. Also I think that they shouldn't drop Do You Feel Loved, just rehearse it a little bit more and it would be a killer live.

sunday bloody sunday 1990+

after the 1980's sunday bloody sunday lost its touch, too slow, no emotion, bono seems to speak it instead of show emotion like he used to e.g.

vertigo tour-"cant close my eyes and make it go away,sunday bloody sunday..."
live aid/R&H etc-"cant close my eyes and MAKE IT GO AWAY!, SUNDAY BLOODY SUNDAY!..."

also these stupid bits during the SBS/BTBS/HTBA section, did my nuts in, too long fannying around with the headband around his eyes, hint bono, nobody cares, yes we get the coexist bit but stop fannying on with it.

OH another U2 weak point, Bonos 50 minutes talks about making poverty history, yes we care, but we dont need a lecture!

and need i say anymore on Yaweh live?

prideofzootv said:
sunday bloody sunday 1990+

after the 1980's sunday bloody sunday lost its touch, too slow, no emotion, bono seems to speak it instead of show emotion like he used to e.g.

vertigo tour-"cant close my eyes and make it go away,sunday bloody sunday..."
live aid/R&H etc-"cant close my eyes and MAKE IT GO AWAY!, SUNDAY BLOODY SUNDAY!..."

also these stupid bits during the SBS/BTBS/HTBA section, did my nuts in, too long fannying around with the headband around his eyes, hint bono, nobody cares, yes we get the coexist bit but stop fannying on with it.

OH another U2 weak point, Bonos 50 minutes talks about making poverty history, yes we care, but we dont need a lecture!

and need i say anymore on Yaweh live?

No

No

No

and No

ZOOTVTOURist said:

How do you mean this answer? Any details?

I think the Elevation Tour was their worst tour. The performances were probably at their worst, specifically Bono's voice. I think it was the low point for a lot of their classics.

The Bomb songs from the Vertigo tour are pretty bad, with the possible exception of sometimes and love and peace. Original, yahweh and all because of you had the potential to be great. I'm not sure if they weren't cracked this time, or if they simply don't translate as well as we hoped they might live.

Well, maybe the concert held in Oslo during the Popmart Tour was a bit weak- as they stuck in the "EGG"....It might have been a nasty experience....:ohmy:

u2wildhoney said:
Well, maybe the concert held in Oslo during the Popmart Tour was a bit weak- as they stuck in the "EGG"....It might have been a nasty experience....:ohmy:

I was there, right infront of the Lemon!

You know, at the time most people didn't realize what happened (or didn't happen;), it was just bizarre!

For me it wasnt such a low point though, more weird than anything else I suppose.

Balfron said:
The Bomb songs from the Vertigo tour are pretty bad, with the possible exception of sometimes and love and peace. Original, yahweh and all because of you had the potential to be great. I'm not sure if they weren't cracked this time, or if they simply don't translate as well as we hoped they might live.
Disagreed.
Vertigo is much better played live because it loses its "poppy" feeling and adopts a more rock&roll feel.
LAPOE no more words, it kills live
COBL blows the studio version away. Slide guitar, frenetic drums, better bass. What more do you want?
OOTS... have you heard the versions played in Europe (specially Milan and in the Netherlands)?
Yahweh... yeah, it loses strenght, but it fits in the end of the setlist as an acoustic version.

JulioArca said:

I don't think so. Miami is not such a great song IMO, but it worked live. However, the SBS new version fit there and people loved it, and reacted better than to Miami.

Zoo Station on the Vertigo Tour, larry's painfully slow drumming completely drains the song of any energy or power. Bleh :sad:

i think las vegas popmart is good. not good like other shows but certainly not bad.
weakest live??bono falling on first night of elevation

I liked the declaration of human rights!
I even liked the fact they got someone who couldnt say the 's' sound to say slavery a bazillion times!

I think BTBS should be retired...its snooooooooze worthy now.

But SBS? Fuck off that its shit....I had goosebumps the size of rockmelons when that song started. Larry almost drummed his arms off, and the crowd turned into a heaving boncing singing mess. A true performance at its best! :up:

Joey788 said:
Personally, any acoustic performance of Desire, Ground Beneath Her Feet, and Stay (Elevation Tour) is exceptionally weak for U2's standards.

Oh man, I love "Stay" on that tour. Especially seeing it live - I had a pretty sweet spot at the tip of the walkway and that song was a real highlight for me.

Bones58 said:
Zoo Station on the Vertigo Tour, larry's painfully slow drumming completely drains the song of any energy or power. Bleh :sad:

Hell no. That song was one of the biggest highlights of the tour.

I saw them play "Crumbs" for the second or third time ever in Boston and boy did they ever screw that song up!!!

PookaMacP said:
The whole co-exist segment on Vertigo, and the Declaration of Human Rights thing were really cringeworthy.

No way! The COEXIST set in Vertigo was pretty haunting and although some performances were weak, the segment worked well.
What's wrong with the Human Rights Declaration? Probably most of the people that attended the shows don't know two of the main 10 articles. It was a good idea to make people know it and that child pronouncing it made it a beautiful moment.

The One speeches and the Make Poverty History talk were'nt weak or low points of the tour.

The only reason you get bored of them is if you got to multiple shows or hear loads of bootlegs.
Just because you heard it 10 times live you will get tired, but there will of been other people in the audience who would be hearing it for the first time each and every night.

waynetravis said:
The One speeches and the Make Poverty History talk were'nt weak or low points of the tour.

The only reason you get bored of them is if you got to multiple shows or hear loads of bootlegs.
Just because you heard it 10 times live you will get tired, but there will of been other people in the audience who would be hearing it for the first time each and every night.
Ditto!:yes:

Galeongirl said:
:wink: that one has a fantastic youtube vid

weakest live moment?

playing One live.
No way, I freely admit that I have to cry almost every time I hear One live. I know they've kinda played the song to death in all those years, but I still find it touching, especially combined with Bono's speech on the Vertigo tour.

Ok ok I concede that Vertgio, LAPOE and COBL are all great, but all because of you, original and yahweh don't work. Original in Milan is ok but just doesn't reach the same heights it does on the album (or single) for me.

for me, watching the fly live on vertigo bootlegs is actually more memorable than the real thing....

phillyfan26 said:

I think the Elevation Tour was their worst tour. The performances were probably at their worst, specifically Bono's voice. I think it was the low point for a lot of their classics.

Thanx, I do have a complete opposite impression - apart from Bono's voice, that was certainly not at the top all the time - but, hey, that's what I wanted to know ...

Back
Top Bottom