U2's second No.1 from HTDAAB!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Brits drives UK acts' albums
13 February 2005 - 19:06:24

MUSIC WEEK

After a distinctly unimpressive start, album sales took off dramatically in the latter half of last week, helped by the double whammy of the Brits and the approach of Valentine's Day, writes Alan Jones.

Artist albums - down 21% in the first midweek sales flashes - eventually managed to improve by 12% week-on-week, while compilations turned a 9% decline into a 23% increase. Overall album sales last week were 2,848,365 - up 13.6% on the previous week to their second highest level of the year, though remaining well short of the tally they achieved in week 1 (2nd-8th January), when clearance bargains helped generate sales of 3,073,908.

Comparing this year to last is difficult, as the Brits and Valentine's Day fell in different weeks in 2004. Valentine's Day was on a Saturday, helping sales that week to 3,373,874 - 18.4% higher than last week - and concentrating their maximum benefit into a single seven day span. This year, with the 14th falling on a Monday, their effect is effectively split over two weeks.

The Brits effect is actually the most obvious influence on the chart this week, with winners, nominees and performers all enjoying handsome gains. Among the highlights: Joss Stone's Mind, Body & Soul rockets 44-11 - its best placing for 14 weeks - on a 269.7% increase in sales, following her two wins and duet with Robbie Williams; the Scissor Sisters' three wins and performance of Take Your Mama in a Sesame Street style set propelled their self-titled debut album to jump 5-2 with sales up 116.2%; and Green Day's performance of American Idiot pushed sales of the album of the same name up 48.1%, even though it failed to win an award.

Winning Brits for best British album and British breakthrough act, and performing Everybody's Changing helped Keane to reap even more dramatic dividends, with their debut album Hopes And Fears rocketing 8-1, to return to the chart summit after a break of 34 weeks. The album sold 75,039 copies last week - a 191.3% increase, and 3,027 more than the Scissor Sisters' set - to lift its 40 week cume to 1,791,781. It's now spent a grand total of five weeks at number one, reaching the top on four separate occasions.

Scooping Brits for best British group and best British rock act, and performing a well received Take Me Out helped Franz Ferdinand's self-titled debut album to celebrate its first birthday by storming back into the Top 10. The album, released on 9 February 2004, jumps 13-4, to earn - surprisingly - its highest placing since its number three debut a year ago, and only its 11th week in the Top 10. It sold 46,476 copies last week, a week-on-week jump of 159.7% - to take its cumulative sales to 925,104.

TV advertising very successfully pitched Phil Collins' Love Songs: A Compilation...Old & New to the Valentine's Day market last week. The album, which was flatlining in 61st place on the chart a fortnight ago, jumped to number 42 last week, and now catapults to number nine, beating the number 10 debut/peak it achieved last October. The album sold 34,106 copies last week - a 376% improvement week-on-week - to take its cumulative sales to 472,381. The campaign also had a spin-off effect on Collins' triple disc Platinum Collection, which jumps 113-70 with sales up 96.8% week-on-week.

Airplay for Wrap My Words Around You - which debuts at number 12 this week on the singles sales chart - has helped give Daniel Bedingfield's Second First Impression a real boost in recent weeks. The album debuted at number eight last October and had fallen more than 100 places before airplay for Wrap My Words Around You started to kick in. Since then, it has climbed 122-107-88-63-32-25.
Bedingfield appeared at The Brits with sister Natasha to perform a duet, which doubtless helped both the siblings' sales a little too, even though the song they performed - Ain't Nobody - is on neither artists' album. Despite Daniel's recent advances, Natasha remains the Bedingfield of choice for record buyers - her Unwritten album sold 15,973 copies last week, 241 more than Daniel's, and is a place above it in the chart. Overall, the 23 week old album has sold more than four times as many as Daniel's 14 week old offering - 763,921 against 183,382.
Meanwhile, singles sales held up pretty well last week, falling just 811 from the year's best tally they achieved a week ago, helped by U2's Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own, which sold 30,359 to debut at number one - the highest weekly sale of the year, and the first of more than 30,000.

The second single from U2's How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb album - 13 weeks after the first, Vertigo - it helps the Irish veterans to register back-to-back number ones for the first time in their career. Counting the LMC v. U2 single Take Me To The Clouds Above, it's U2's third straight number one and seventh in all., though its first week sales are substantially fewer than Vertigo's opening 51,917 tally. The album - which enjoys a 50% increase in sales week-on-week and jumps 18-14 has sold a massive 947,423 copies. Another track from the album - U2's North American single All Because Of You - also charts here this week, debuting at number 51 on import sales.

Losing a substantial lead for the second week in a row, the late Elvis Presley again has to settle for runners-up spot on the singles chart, this time with Wooden Heart, whose first week sales of 28,377 are marginally below the 28,500 copies Are You Lonesome Tonight achieved a week ago but higher than the other reissues in his ongoing series of 70th birthday celebration number one re-releases. Wooden Heart brings to six the number of Presley singles in the Top 40 - one short of the chart record Presley himself set in 1957.

Racking up their 10th Top 10 hit, Destiny's Child debut at number four with Soldier, the second single from their Destiny Fulfilled album. Introductory single Lose My Breath spent four weeks at number two last November, its tenacity turning first week sales of 61,287 into 226,287 - more than most number ones these days. Soldier's first week tally was 17,314. Sadly, its release hasn't stopped the slow downward drift of Destiny Fulfilled. The album debuted and peaked at number five, and slips 40-44 - a new low - this week. It has sold 469,168 copies since its release three months ago.

Summary:
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own: 30,359 copies
All Because Of You: debuted at #51 with import sales
HTDAAB: UK sales to date - 947,423 copies

AMAZING!!!! I knew this was a number one song the first time I heard it!!!! Wow!!! Two number one songs in Britain -- that's phenomonal. Hard to put it into context, even -- U2 has NEVER done that before, folks... Huge, huge news...

-----

'Sometimes...' UK No.1

'Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own' is the new UK No.1 single - and
marks the first time a U2 album has produced two No.1 singles in the UK.

The second single from 'How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb', 'Sometimes...' has
hit the top spot in its first week of release and is U2's sixth No.1 single
in the UK.

The first single from the album, 'Vertigo', topped the charts in the Autumn and the album has now sold more than 8.5m copies worldwide.

Although U2's third album 'War' was a No.1 hit back in 1983, they didn't achieve a No.1 single until Desire, from the album 'Rattle and Hum'. Subsequent UK No 1's were The Fly ('Achtung Baby'), Discotheque ('Pop') and Beautiful Day ('All That You Cant Leave Behind').

Great news!!

Come on now U2 now is the time to reward all your VERY LOYAL UK fans and announce some more gigs!!!!!!!!!!:wink:

THESE ARE FANTASTIC NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
U2 are on the top of the music world!BRILLIANT!

SYCMIOYO deserves to be no 1,cause song is good as U2*s magnificient songs like WOWY,BAd,ONE...
Believe me SYCMIOY is the one of the best U2 songs ever,and I can imagine great moments on the tour when U2 perform SYCMIOYO...IT WILL BE EMOTIONAL HIGHLIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm so happy about this. It a shame a that a few thoushand fans had to buy 3+ copies each to make it happen but still this song deserved to get to number one.

Although so have alot of other U2 songs which never made it to the number 1 spot. Although I can quite easily say this is U2's greatest ever number 1 single here in the UK.

Does anyone know how it did it Ireland.

rjhbonovox said:

Mmmmm commercially, probably......musically??? definetly not!

No, I suppose it loses out to UF and JT. But only just! This is a sensational time to be a U2 fan.

ludilobrate said:
ABOY WILL TOP AMERICAN CHARTS PRETTY SOON...

Like U2 will ever have a US #1 ever again ...

ABOY fell from 101 to 102 in the States this week.

Axver said:

No, I suppose it loses out to UF and JT. But only just! This is a sensational time to be a U2 fan.

heheh not quite the era I was thinking about but they are both better albums than the current one!

rjhbonovox said:

heheh not quite the era I was thinking about but they are both better albums than the current one!

Well yes, UF's a better album. JT just loses out, though the era itself is superior. This is U2's second-best album. I find it amazing that U2 have such incredible talent and longevity that they can make two sensational records 20 years apart. Most bands struggle to remain worthwhile for more than 20 months.

City of Blinding Lights is actually supposed to be the third single in both Europe and North America.....here's hoping it's true. I think that track could ALSO become a #1 in the UK....

BigMacPhisto said:
City of Blinding Lights is actually supposed to be the third single in both Europe and North America.....here's hoping it's true. I think that track could ALSO become a #1 in the UK....

Where did you hear that? I very much hope it's correct. PERFECT 25th anniversary single.

Back
Top Bottom