U2's Relationship With Their Fans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i don't know - i think bono's and my relationship is still going strong. it's been a while since he hit me the last time.

Axver said:
U2 are not very close to their fans at all. Every other band I follow even half as closely as I follow U2 has a much better relationship with their fans. For example, just a few days ago, Crowded House did a free live broadcast of one of their rehearsal sessions - 2.5 hours of music for any fan, anywhere in the world, to enjoy. Or Dream Theater's Mike Portnoy goes to great effort to vary setlists not only from night to night, but from prior sets played in each city, and when filming DVDs, he seeks to make the setlist almost totally different to past DVDs so that fans don't get repeat tracks (meanwhile, U2 have six consecutive appearances of Streets and counting). Or Porcupine Tree's Steven Wilson, who goes to great efforts to satisfy fans who, like him, have an enthusiasm for collector's editions, vinyl, and rarities. And so on and so forth.

All U2 seem to do is talk a bit about their fans. I see very little interaction beyond a bit of meet-and-greet after some shows, and occasionally pulling someone onstage to play guitar. U2 don't even seem interested in the opinions of their most dedicated fans, those who aren't fairweather fans, those who support U2 through thick and thin - just last tour, we had Bono yelling at a fan requesting something different. It is part of the reason why I am increasingly disillusioned with U2. Their musical output is declining, both in quantity and quality, and their interaction with their fans is poor to say the least.

I agree with all of the above, though I suppose if one were to bend over backwards to be fair to U2 one could probably say that their fanbase is larger so it may be more difficult to maintain some semblance of a 'personalised' relationship with the fanbase.

But I fully agree with the above post, and in my view the relationship between U2 and the fanbase has changed in recent years, and not necessarily in a positive way.

but isnt u2 today more like the beatles and rolling stones were/are. i mean, everybody knows them, lots of people that arent really fans want tickets to their shows etc....they no longer need to maintain and nurture a group of loyal fans...they have a completely different status today than they had earlier on.

Utoo said:

:up:

Preach on, doc! :wink:

I don't think the band's relationship to the fans is bad at all. Do they strongly encourage bootlegging like Phish? No, but they're not high for every show, either. Do they give free recordings of every live performance to fan club members like Pearl Jam? No, but then again Pearl Jam's only fans are pretty much those of us who have stuck around since the early 1990s. Sure, the website sucks...but that's mainly due to good old fashioned nepotism, which is kind hard to get out of. Sure, they don't do some things that other bands (as previously mentioned, mainly bands that have much smaller fanbases and/or popularity) do, but that doesn't mean that the relationship with the fans is anything near "crap."

As far as setlists go, anyone familiar with this band knows that they have never had varied setlists. The beloved ZooTV tour--virtually the same night after night. PopMart--the only things that would change were Edge's karaoke. As far back as Boy era stuff, they've played pretty much static setlists. Does that mean that they had a bad relationship with the fans in 1980? We ask for fan-favorite rarities, and yet overlook the fact that this tour saw:

Electric Co.
Stories For Boys
An Cat Dubh
Into the Heart
The Ocean
Out Of Control
Party Girl
Gloria
The First Time
Discotheque
One Tree Hill
Miss Sarajevo
Running To Stand Still
Mothers of the Disappeared

...plus several Zoo and 00s faves. Not too shabby in my book.

The fact of the matter is yes, we are spoiled. We're used to getting top-quality material from this band, and so we want our high-quality expectations to be 100% met. Not quite fair.

:applaud: exactly!

Of all the fan things I've heard, about 99 out of 100 things were positive! U2 and especially Bono come out to say hi to fans and sign stuff, and so on..
Do they HAVE to do this? NO! they do it because THEY CARE FOR THEIR FANS!
and I agree with Doc about the generation thing... U2 is a different generation than those bands I've never heard of either... these days it's normal to share all your stuff over the internet and free and such when you're a new band because otherwise you won't make it! U2 doesn't have to do this anymore, they already made it over two decades ago!

I hope to meet these guys one day, and I KNOW I won't be dissapointed!

U2Man said:
but isnt u2 today more like the beatles and rolling stones were/are. i mean, everybody knows them, lots of people that arent really fans want tickets to their shows etc....they no longer need to maintain and nurture a group of loyal fans...they have a completely different status today than they had earlier on.

Another Popmart would piss the fly-by-nighters off, and make most of the internet fans happy (except the setlist wallies)

doctorwho said:
I am not a fan of U2's fans, especially those online. :sexywink:

:applaud:

coolian2 said:

I think some fans need to step away - stop listening to U2, stop reading/complaining about setlists etc for several months. The 'magic' has clearly left them, and they need to dream it up again.

:lmao: :up: This thread is great.

Axver said:
U2 are not very close to their fans at all. Every other band I follow even half as closely as I follow U2 has a much better relationship with their fans. For example, just a few days ago, Crowded House did a free live broadcast of one of their rehearsal sessions - 2.5 hours of music for any fan, anywhere in the world, to enjoy. Or Dream Theater's Mike Portnoy goes to great effort to vary setlists not only from night to night, but from prior sets played in each city, and when filming DVDs, he seeks to make the setlist almost totally different to past DVDs so that fans don't get repeat tracks (meanwhile, U2 have six consecutive appearances of Streets and counting). Or Porcupine Tree's Steven Wilson, who goes to great efforts to satisfy fans who, like him, have an enthusiasm for collector's editions, vinyl, and rarities. And so on and so forth.

All U2 seem to do is talk a bit about their fans. I see very little interaction beyond a bit of meet-and-greet after some shows, and occasionally pulling someone onstage to play guitar. U2 don't even seem interested in the opinions of their most dedicated fans, those who aren't fairweather fans, those who support U2 through thick and thin - just last tour, we had Bono yelling at a fan requesting something different. It is part of the reason why I am increasingly disillusioned with U2. Their musical output is declining, both in quantity and quality, and their interaction with their fans is poor to say the least.

I wish U2.com wouldn't suck:shrug:...

heck Radiohead have a fucking blog to communicate with their fans....:drool:

even Coldplay post videos for their fans online:|

but U2 are the best at everything and do no suck:wink:

if u2 were today where they were around war or the unforgettable fire, they would use the internet more to please a group of loyal fans. i honestly think that they believe they're beyond that now.

U2Man said:
if u2 were today where they were around war or the unforgettable fire, they would use the internet more to please a group of loyal fans. i honestly think that they believe they're beyond that now.

Well U2 are a bunch of old farts who don't know how to use the internets!! :wink:

U2 has their plusses and minuses when it comes to their fans. The good is that they'll take time before and after shows to meet with fans and sign autographs. Also Bono pulling people on stage could be considered being good to the fans, although some would argue it's just part of the "show."

Other areas are severly lacking. The fanclub is pretty pathetic. It really offers nothing you couldn't get elsewhere. We all know what happened with the presale disaster. A lot of people got screwed over with that, and maybe just saying "I'm sorry" without the "Fuck You" at the end would have been nice. :shrug:

The way the GA lines were managed was pretty awful, to not even mention the lottery policy until the day of the first show, after people had already camped out was pretty ridiculous. You should let people know about that even before they buy their tickets.

A lot of bands keep diaries on their websites, even during off peak times, just to let the fans know whats going on and what to expect. U2 is really lacking in the communication department.

And I've always felt the fact that they don't like to rehearse kind of screws the fans at the first stretch of shows. I went to the first show in San Diego, and the difference in quality in the later shows was remarkable. I felt sorry for the person who could only go to that one show who paid the same price but for much less quality. Maybe if they would rehearse more they wouldn't be screwing those fans.

I won't even get into the whole setlist thing, as I thought on the last tour the actually did a better job of making both diehards and casual fans happy.

Last edited:
Chizip said:

Other areas are severly lacking. The fanclub is pretty pathetic. It really offers nothing you couldn't get elsewhere. We all know what happened with the presale disaster. The way the GA lines were managed was pretty awful, to not even mention the lottery policy until the day of the first show, after people had already camped out was pretty ridiculous. You should let people know about that even before they buy their tickets.

And I've always felt the fact that they don't like to rehearse kind of screws the fans at the first stretch of shows. I went to the first show in San Diego, and the difference in quality in the later shows was remarkable. I felt sorry for the person who could only go to that one show who paid the same price but for much less quality. Maybe if they would rehearse more they wouldn't be screwing those fans.

chizip, would you say that this is a sign of arrogance from u2 these days?

Answer: Yes.

Originally posted by xaviMF22 Well U2 are a bunch of old farts who don't know how to use the internets!! :wink:
Actually I attribute it to Paul M. It was Marc Marot who put them on the internet - Paul didn't want to do it. See Matt McGee's excellent interview.
http://www.atu2.com/news/article.src?ID=4280&Key=Marc&Year=&Cat=

But if they got some more tech savvy folks in the mgmt company, I think they could do alot more with the technology to reach out to the fans. Really you can't expect the band to handle the outreach - mgmt needs to. And mgmt needs a shake-up. The thread I'd like to see is:

Is it time for Paul M to retire?

Oh, and make it a poll [need premium help - tx].

Last edited:
^ It's more than just the web site - that is just the vehicle - you need mgmt who believes in using technology.

Monkeys do what they are told...

Chizip said:
U2 has their plusses and minuses when it comes to their fans. The good is that they'll take time before and after shows to meet with fans and sign autographs. Also Bono pulling people on stage could be considered being good to the fans, although some would argue it's just part of the "show."

Other areas are severly lacking. The fanclub is pretty pathetic. It really offers nothing you couldn't get elsewhere. We all know what happened with the presale disaster. A lot of people got screwed over with that, and maybe just saying "I'm sorry" without the "Fuck You" at the end would have been nice. :shrug:

The way the GA lines were managed was pretty awful, to not even mention the lottery policy until the day of the first show, after people had already camped out was pretty ridiculous. You should let people know about that even before they buy their tickets.

A lot of bands keep diaries on their websites, even during off peak times, just to let the fans know whats going on and what to expect. U2 is really lacking in the communication department.

I won't even get into the whole setlist thing, as I thought on the last tour the actually did a better job of making both diehards and casual fans happy.

I agree, Chaz.

It's cool that they go out to meet the fans before the shows. If it hadn't been for that, I would have never been able to take a picture like this without zoom. But the fan relationship suffers in other areas. The fanclub is a joke. U2.com on the whole is a joke. That sort of thing.

However, I think they're better than most other bands when it comes to the fan relationship. There are obviously other bands out there that make a lot more effort for the fans than U2, but they're a rarity.

CPTLCTYGOOFBALL said:

U2 have done tons of free live radio specials, and TV specials, including the live concert from the ATYCLB promo tour and live from their studio for HTDAB. Much like Crowded House it probably has less to do with wanting to be closer to the fans than wanting free publicity. I don't think it's a coincidence that CH are offering this free music to their fans now, just like I don't think it was a coincidence U2 offered up live performances on the radio during their promo tours.

it seems that some people in this thread do associate different marketing schemes as a sign that a band loves its fans more or less

after POPMart U2 needed the promo tour to increase interest in the band's shows again
or at least they felt they did

if U2 would have open rehearsals this would only result in the people bitching about static setlists now could already start their bitching after the 2nd rehearsal has ended

Utoo said:
Sure, the website sucks...but that's mainly due to good old fashioned nepotism, which is kind hard to get out of.

I don't know if we can lay it all on Sebastian. The way it was explained to me once is this:

SigNet owns Fanfire. Signet handles the merchandising, Fanfire runs the store. Fanfire also runs the fan club, and also runs the Zootopia message board. Sebastian and his crew handle web site content, but that has to go back through Fanfire (and maybe Signet - not sure).

So one has to wonder how much control Sebastian and the crew have. A bit muddled at best. If anyone has ever ordered a t shirt off the web site (as I have several times), I have had a problem with nearly every order - wrong shirt, wrong size, etc. They were good about correcting the problem but what a royal pain.

So thinking about it in context, it's a wonder the web site works at all.

xaviMF22 said:

heck Radiohead have a fucking blog to communicate with their fans....:drool:

Thom Yorke, on a good day

Recording, day 67

Toaster
i ate

bread

with

garden hose

electric monkey cheez nip

dome.jpg

sprinklers :crack:

Yep. It's a gooooooooooood blog alright. :up:

bayou12780 said:

I don't know if we can lay it all on Sebastian. The way it was explained to me once is this:

SigNet owns Fanfire. Signet handles the merchandising, Fanfire runs the store. Fanfire also runs the fan club, and also runs the Zootopia message board. Sebastian and his crew handle web site content, but that has to go back through Fanfire (and maybe Signet - not sure).

So one has to wonder how much control Sebastian and the crew have. A bit muddled at best. If anyone has ever ordered a t shirt off the web site (as I have several times), I have had a problem with nearly every order - wrong shirt, wrong size, etc. They were good about correcting the problem but what a royal pain.

So thinking about it in context, it's a wonder the web site works at all.

But many, many other bands, including bands of U2's caliber, have websites that aren't that awful. You'd think that by now U2 would realize that the model they're using isn't working.

U2.com could be a great site with just a little tweaking. Parts of the website aren't organized very well, and things that used to be there are inexplicably gone (the crew videos, for instance--are they still there? They weren't when I went looking for them recently). It takes far too long for new things to go up on the site, and when they're part of a series, it seems like the next installment takes forever. Where are the other playlists that were promised, for instance? As others have mentioned, some sort of regular updates from the band would be great and relatively easy to do. Even some blogs by a few more crew members who are working in the studio or on the tour. All of these are relatively little things, but they'd add up to make a big difference, especially to those who are forking over $40 for memberships.

Even the Zoo is a cavernous mess compared to here. I get error messages every time I try to look for something over there, and the fact that they allow gigantic signatures makes most threads far longer than they need to be.

I've never gotten the wrong merchandise from Fanfire, but I've had shipping problems nearly every time--things didn't get shipped together, and the tracking number only accounted for one (less expensive) item in my order.

I think the band does what they can when they can. Obviously they're not going to cater to everyone. They can't possibly stop outside of every venue, or sign every autograph every day. I've never been lucky enough to meet any of them, but the stories I've read on here by others who have been lucky enough were terrific.

I think maybe Principle Management ought to step back a little and think about U2 the Business living up to U2 the Band--I love the band, but I'm not always crazy about the business.

In some ways, they treat us great. The availability, especially of Bono and Edge, to meet fans is pretty special, for one thing.

I just can't understand why their website and official fan club are as lame as they are. I think this is an area where they are seriously lacking. I think it can look like they don't care, but I don't think that's the case at all. I just wish they had a fanclub more like Pearl Jam's, but then again, nobody's perfect, not even u2.

How many people like BONO in the music industry give fans a ride home or to the hotel in their car? I would say its a good relationship.

I wonder: If the website were better and fanclub membership included access to things like updates written by Edge, etc., would that allay some ill feelings? I think it would be a pretty good thing.

gherman said:
How many people like BONO in the music industry give fans a ride home or to the hotel in their car?

Yeah, that's not too shabby.

I connect with U2 through their music and that is what I know them best by.

In a way I like that there is a distance between artist and fan, somehow it keeps the intrigue alive I guess.

We live in an age where we can know almost too much about a band or an actor or celebrity or whatever and it kind of sucks you know?

You just have to wonder what U2 equally as a band feels about how much they can give of themselves. They are afterall just artists and what they create does become a product that is bought by us. I mean we made their lifestyle.

So do we feel we need more? Do I feel I need to have a deep conversation with Bono, in his house, over a cup of coffee? I don't know.

I just like their music, the music they put out and it meant a lot to me during my formative teenage years when I'd listen to their cds with headphones on and listen to the words and look at the black and white pictures in the CD sleeves and imagine the landscapes they created with the songs.

I kind of want to keep U2 on a mythical rock god pedestal. I don't want to feel like I need access to their lives, their demos, or do I want to watch them jam. I don't want to think of them as just 4 guys that make music. And I don't want them to ever compramise their art because they feel they need to please me or any other person.

Utoo said:
I wonder: If the website were better and fanclub membership included access to things like updates written by Edge, etc., would that allay some ill feelings? I think it would be a pretty good thing.

YES!!! :drool:

Back
Top Bottom