U2's Ravishing Explosion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BorderGirl

Acrobat
I don't usually post here, so maybe this has already been posted before? Thought you all might like it.

+++
U2's How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
An Eloquent and Ravishing Explosion
Kenneth Tanner

"U2 continues to defy the conventions of rock on its latest, How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb, whittling away at the romantic and transient roots of the form on songs like "Miracle Drug" and "A Man and a Woman," and – on their 11th studio album in 28 years – defeating an egocentric tradition that has left many of the best performers and acts in ruins.

At first it seems Atomic Bomb might be an admirable twin of All That You Can't Leave Behind, a stellar record by any standard, but not quite reaching the achievement of The Joshua Tree, or the band's magnum opus, Achtung Baby!

Then the stoic, folksy authenticity of "One Step Closer," the shimmering, convicting irony of "Crumbs from Your Table," and the glittering, expectant wisdom of "Original of the Species" transcend expectations and confirm hopes – and what else does this band trade in but hope?

Another day with the record will banish any doubt that Atomic Bomb is, song for song, a work of art: complex, gutsy, intimate, demanding, eloquent and ravishing.

Atomic Bomb belongs in the top tier of U2's very best records. Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby! and Atomic Bomb are sonic masterpieces by different measures, separated by more time between their release than any of the best Beatles albums (to take one instance), marked by ascents in the band's songwriting and virtuosity (how many successful acts study music and work with master teachers of their art between records?), and leavened by the band's insatiable collecting of influences.

Lyrically, Atomic Bomb seems the most conspicuously Christian record the band has released since October (and I'm the sort of believer who considers "Wake Up Dead Man" as faithful a Christian prayer as, say, "Gloria").

The protagonist of Achtung Baby!, a prodigal entranced by a moonlit night and the kiss of seduction, fumbles his way back home only to find that darkness lingers. Now the wanderer is chastened: romantic notions no longer hold sway, the eyes of the heart rule the intellect, true love is at home. Yet, restless for Love, he wrestles with the Almighty: kneeling (always kneeling), pleading for intervention (how long must the world abide before the new dawn?), over and over again offering his heart ("take this heart and make it break" are the album's closing words), seeking now a kiss from God.

"Yahweh" is a postmodern Christmas hymn. It looks in hope to the birth of Christ ("always pain before a child is born") as it presses home a question the Father's long-awaited gift evokes in honest souls: "Why the dark before the dawn?" "Miracle Drug," "Crumbs from Your Table," "Vertigo," "Love and Peace or Else," and "Yahweh" not only allude to but even depend on the Gospel to disclose their meaning.

I'm bound for some Paul McGuinness-inspired purgatory for using the words "Christian record" in the same sentence with "U2," but I think the band is big enough (and mature enough) now not to worry overmuch about people getting the wrong impression (who would mistake these guys for Bible thumpers?). The band was right to resist the label – no doubt it would have limited their audience and their art at earlier stages – but it seems time to simply live with the contradictions and let the chips fall where they may.

On All That You Can't Leave Behind and during the subsequent tour, U2 expressed Christian faith with excerpts from the Psalms, hallelujahs to the Almighty, and urgent activism on behalf of "the least of these." During the tour Bono had told one reporter, "It feels like there's a blessing on the band right now. People say they're feeling shivers – well, the band is as well. And I don't know what it is, but it feels like God walking through the room, and it feels like a blessing, and in the end, music is a kind of sacrament; it's not just about airplay or chart position." It was a temperate yet unapologetic witness, not showy or preachy but unashamed, and that spirit continues on Atomic Bomb.

The abandonment of romance for a truer love (of the "tougher," more resilient, yea eternal, variety) is a common theme on Atomic Bomb, and though it might strike contemporary ears as paradoxical and uncool (is this rock & roll?), it seems Bono's experiences in Africa have taught him to distrust reigning American and European definitions of the beloved. "A Man and A Woman" is a realist's tribute to monogomy and a celebration of Bono's marriage to Ali (the lyric echoes Bono's attempts in interviews to describe the mystery of his bride and the miracle of their relationship).

If Achtung Baby! was the divorce album, Atomic Bomb is the marriage album, and reflected in Bono's marriage to Ali is the singer's marriage to God. When, at the end, he prays "take this mouth and give it a kiss," the Bridegroom of Song of Solomon is the teacher he seems to have in mind, the master who teaches him how to kneel at the start the album and to whom he turns at the end – what to do with his hands, feet, heart, and soul between this broken time and the marriage supper of the lamb?

"One Step Closer" is reminiscent of Dylan, though it judiciously employs (Eno's?) techno-ambient tricks. It's a beautiful sleeper that, along with its sonic opposite, "Love and Peace or Else" (a grimy, infectious groover with the fattest Clayton bass line ever), reveals U2's perennial ability to craft strange and deeply appealing songs from motley raw materials.

The music is breathtaking in parts (the Edge, Clayton, and Mullen are at the full flight of their considerable powers here), especially on "Crumbs," "Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own," and "Original of the Species," which seem the best of the pack – the best marriage of melody and lyric. Any of these songs is a cinch for Record of the Year in 2006 ("Vertigo," a wonderful wall of noise, is eligible this year). And, as ever, the band reaches out for new sounds while bringing back hints of its finest moments past (the best artists always do).

Frederick Buechner once said, "It's really very easy to be a writer – all you have to do is sit down at the typewriter and open a vein." Bono opens several on this record, and for a band that throughout the 90s prided itself on distance, these last two U2 albums explore interiors and reveal intimacies rarely expressed in rock. We've now been given permission to eavesdrop, and the conversation is direct and unafraid.

"Sometimes," written for Bono's father, Bob Hewson, as he lay dying in hospital, is the showstopper, as honest a confession as any rock band has ever laid down. It deftly puts the lie to the notion that rock & roll can't handle (much less recapitulate) the deeper experiences of life. U2 has made a career out of debunking that myth, and the genre will have made a significant stride if the band's contributions win the day.

In recent interviews Bono has said the "Atomic Bomb" of the title is his father ("he is the Atomic Bomb in question and it is his era, the Cold War era, and we had a bit of a cold war, myself and him"), and in others places he's said it refers to his emotional volatility in the wake of his father's death ("looking back, now I've finally managed to say goodbye, I think that I did do some mad stuff"). Bill Flanaghan's or Neil McCormick's accounts of the band's rise show the metaphor is an apt one for the father and the son. Earlier this year, Bono reportedly asked the songwriter Michael W. Smith if he knew how to dismantle an Atomic Bomb. When Smith said he didn't, Bono responded "Love. With Love."

Bob Hewson was an amateur opera singer who loved to listen to operas in his sitting room at night, directing the songs, as Bono recalls, with knitting needles. On "Sometimes," when Bono lets go his signature falsetto and scream-sings "you're the reason I sing/You're the reason why the opera is in me," it occurs that Love is able to dismantle the bomb in the father and the bomb in the son; that Love has the ability to disarm any weapon of destruction, material or spiritual, no matter how large, no matter how small. That comes as good news about right now.

The American theologian Robert Jenson says that, unlike political ideologies, the Spirit makes us free not from each other but for each other. Of all the rock clichés the U2 brothers overturn, it is perhaps their love for each other – held together despite strong wills and tested by time – that enables not only their longevity but an enduring ability to produce albums of rock music that belong among the genre's best.

Neil McCormick reports that after working five-day weeks for about a year the band had nearly the same set of songs ready for release last October, but it sensed an "indefinable magic" was missing. U2 spent another year working to find it. Bono told one reporter, "Whether it's Catholic guilt or whatever it is, it's not on to have this life that we've been given – this amazing life – and be crap."

Their fans can be grateful for a veteran band that refuses to settle for second best, and at a career point when acts think they've earned the right to be mediocre. That might appear to be the band's self-interest speaking (who wants to buy a "crap album"?), but it still takes humility to serve anyone (even rock fans), and the hard work that produced the double-barreled art of U2's last two albums needs not only a touch of grace but the cooperation of courage. It's faith active in love."

Source: w w w.secondspring.co.uk
Under "articles" on left hand side of page.

I remember reading this elsewhere. Very insightful article!

i love the @U2 HTDAAB review :lol:

1. Vertigo

0:00 As usual, Larry hogs the spotlight by clicking the countdown.

0:05 Unos, Dos, Tres, Catorce. It takes exactly ten seconds for Bono to say something that we'll have to defend to non-fans. I got this question just last night. Why 1, 2, 3, 14? You might quiet these people by saying that it's something "God-related." That's usually a safe bet with Bono's lyrics.

0:12 "Oh Captain, my Captain!" Larry reciting Walt Whitman? These guys are incredibly well-read. I'm getting the feeling I've heard this song somewhere before. It would make a great advertising jingle. If only the right product could be found to pair it with. I'm seeing a woman with a huge afro and white things coming out of her ears. Good guitar jam. Not only is this a great album kickoff, but it will be a great concert kickoff.

0:24 "lights go down, it's dark"? Thank you, Captain Obvious.

0:33 Word Count "Soul": One.

0:37 The band can wave hello as they come onstage. Perhaps they'll be a "Trippy Vertigo Remix" that they'll play over the loudspeakers. A version we'll never be able to find. This part seems almost perfectly designed. First the band will say "hello," then we in the crowd can yell "Hola!" It's like mind control. We're defenseless against the powers of Bono's suggestion. They might as well have called this song "Hello, Cleveland." Perhaps they'll change the words for each venue: "Hello, Tacoma, I'm at a place called Tacoma Dome -- rain falls down and all I know is the sound, in here, is unreal -- unreaaall." All the Bono wannabees can sing along with "feel."

1:00 "as bullets rip the sky." Bono finds his lyric journal from the Unforgettable Fire era.

1:22 at this point during the show, all your friends who don't really know the songs will be able to sing along with the "oh, oh," just like they do during "With or Without You" and "All I Want Is You." They'll be the ones in the heart when you couldn't get in. They'll be the ones who got in for free because they work for a cell phone company. At least you've got them beaten lyrically.

1:55 This would generally be considered a "guitar solo," which in this case means Edge playing four notes over and over again.

2:09 Instead of singing along with "all of this..." substitute the following: "there's a place I go when I am far away," because it's from 1980. At this point U2 is hoping that the young fans don't know "Stories for Boys."

2:37 "I can feel your love teaching me how owow owow." This is a Bono trademark. Dragging a word out longer than necessary. He lifted this from Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber's Cats "...and there's no doing anything abow owow owow it!" Rum Tum Bono is a curious cat, and there isn't any need to doubt it, indeed.

2:50 Word Count "Kneel": One.

2:54 Word Count "Kneel": Two.

2. Miracle Drug

0:00 If it were a disco roller skating rink in the '70s, the DJ would say "we're gonna slow things down now." Or if I was in my Michigan middle school, this would have been the dreaded "Sadie Hawkins song" -- girls ask the boys.

0:02 At this point, it becomes clear that the reason Bono never used his famous "Edge has fallen back in love with the guitar for this record" sound bite is because Edge has decidedly not fallen back in love with the guitar for this record. He has, in fact, fallen hard for what we call "keyboards." Taking a page from the Geddy Lee handbook, Edge was tired of only one of his feet doing anything substantive during live shows. To counter his lollygagging, he found a way for one foot to play distortion, while the other plays one of those huge floor keyboards last seen in Tom Hanks' Big. It should be fun to watch him jump around during the tour.

0:22 Did Bono just say he wants to spend the day inside my head? Be careful what you wish for, Mr. Hewson!

0:46 Welcome to the party, Mr. Mullen.

0:47 Great line on first glance: "freedom has a scent, like the top of newborn baby's head." This is sweet. I don't have kids, but I see parents constantly sniffing the heads of infants. Upon a closer look, however, the line falls flat. "Hey, Mr. Mandela, you've just spent 26 years on Robben Island, how do you feel?" "Amandla! Awethu! I am so happy to be free and back home with Winnie. By the way, what is that alluring scent?"

1:10 Edge falls back in love with the piano.

1:51 "love ove ove ove"

2:02 Here's where this song loses me. "I've had enough of romantic love." If that's true, I don't want a part of their revolution. Answer Guy would not give it up for a miracle drug. To paraphrase Roxy Music, "love is, love is the [miracle] drug!"

2:16 Larry falls in love with the drum roll.

2:22 Edge falls back in love with his "Mysterious Ways" guitar solo.

3:00 This is an exciting bridge. "Beneath the noise, below the din, I hear your voice, it's whispering." Sure he rhymed "din" with "whisperin'" but it still works somehow. Sometimes passages in songs work in spite of their words. My second-favorite band makes me tear up with "you've been a hole in my sky, you're my shrinking water supply, till my well runs dry." There's no accounting for taste.

3. Sometimes You Can't Make It on Your Own

0:00 Adam: "I'll take the lead on this one, fellas."

0:22 Bono: "tough, stuff, enough."

0:44 Bono: "fight, right, tonight."

1:04 Bono: "listen to me now!" Not for nothing, but haven't we been listening to Bono since about 1979?

1:22 "Red Hill Mining Town" Moment One: "and it's you when I look in the mirror." Edge and Bono will never hit that note in concert. Also at this point, Edge is playing the chorus to the Cure's "Pictures of You." Doo doo doo doo doo.

1:40 After Bono says "we fight..." Edge begins an entire passage which is played on his patented "one-string guitar." It lasts for about 40 seconds. "Ring them bells, Edge."

2:16 Faintly in the background on the left side is the bell from "Electrical Storm." This is not the last time we'll hear it on this album. Clearly, Larry has fallen in love with the bell again.

3:00 Edge has fallen back in love with a note for note rendition of the "Electrical Storm" guitar solo. Get me Samantha Morton's agent on the phone!

3:13 This is a cool Bono part. He's singing a song for his late, opera-loving father and he finds a way to include a sustained opera note for him to sing. "Can you hear me when I sing? You're the reason I sing! You're the reason why the opera is in me!" How freakin' great is that? I'm getting weepy now. Never mind that musically, this part has nothing to do with the rest of the song. And it is a bit too close to Coldplay's "In My Place" -- come back and sing to me, to me, come on and sing it out. It's always compelling to sing the word "sing" as loudly as possible. Just a warning for those I may be standing near "in the target" on the Vertigo Tour.

4:24 "Red Hill Mining Town" Moment Two: Vegas bookmakers are giving 7-to-1 odds that Bono will never hit the notes for "the best you can do is to fake it" ever again.

5:01 Larry just sort of stops with bass drum only. His RSI renders him unable to drum past the five minute mark on any song. Look for shortened versions of "Bad" on this tour.

4. Love and Peace or Else

0:00 Not the greatest title ever.

0:10 Apparently, they found some leftover "found" tape sounds from the Zooropa sessions.

0:44 Did I just hear a sample from the seminal Queen soundtrack Flash Gordon? I think I did. Scary outer space sound from the right side. "Father, not the bore worms!"

0:51 Larry is making a habit of being paid for a whole song's work, but only coming in after a substantial amount of time has passed. Man, he's financially shrewd!

0:53 Edge is doing his best Jimmy Page, "How Many More Times [Live Version]," impression.

1:00 Lay your sweet lovely on the ground. What does that mean, you think?

1:11 "track, back." How can Bono keep up this train motif? Let's listen.

1:21 Adam has fallen in love with Sting's "Consider Me Gone."

2:08 The Word Count for "Kneel" almost added one (knees).

2:23 Edge has fallen in love with his live Elevation Tour "Fly" solo again. Actually, this song rocks right about here.

2:44 Nice syncopation with "all you daughters of Zion." As Neo would say: Whoa!

3:23 The background singing can best be described as "Air Raid Harmony."

3:27 Strangest Bridge Ever! Bono is going on and on in his white-boy rap while someone appears to be playing the glockenspiel in the left speaker. Is it possible that Edge has fallen in love with the glockenspiel?

3:50 At this point, the song begins that thing that all techno songs do without fail. Muffle everything and then slowly take the muffle away until the treble can be heard while making it ear-splittingly loud so that everyone rendered rhythm-less because they're on E can raise their hands at the right time and cheer as Oakenfold changes from one turntable to the next. Reminds me of every single song I heard on Mykynos the past three summers. Have you ever seen people cheer and applaud a DJ for flipping a switch while keeping his headphones balanced on only one ear? I have.

5. City Of Blinding Lights

0:00 First of all, I love this song.

0:12 Edge has fallen back in love with his guitar work from "Rejoice." It's falling it's falling and outside the buildings are tumbling down.

0:23 Uh-oh. Edge is now also in love with the piano again. In this case, "All By Myself" by Eric Carmen.

0:40 For those of you keeping score at home, enter Larry.

0:50 OK. You know you're thinking it, so I'm going to say it for you. Sing along with me now: "somebody told me that you had a boyfriend who looks like a girlfriend that I had in February of last year." Could it be that this song was written by the Killers? That doesn't make it bad. In fact, I may like it more because of it. Of course,it's better than any song by the Killers.

1:18 The more you see the less you know. You intrigue me with your riddle, Bono. An indictment of habitual watchers of Fox News, perhaps? David Blaine fans?

1:34 Neon heart, dayglo eyes, then the background singing starts which cannot be described. It's like the Corrs, Enya, and Clannad all got together to sing through Radiohead's OK Computer which makes them sound ghostly.

1:36 "eyes, fireflies, skies"

1:44 "for people like us"? Answer Guy and Bono? You mean we happy few who own five homes scattered throughout the world, who can get the Pope, Orrin Hatch, Paul Allen, or Tom Hanks on the phone with a single call? Bruce Springsteen has made a lucrative career out of pretending to be a working mechanic average Joe, while living on a guarded estate in rural New Jersey. No reason Bono can't do the same thing.

1:59 I'm getting ready to leave the ground. This will absolutely kill live. I can't wait.

2:00 "[U2 have] by far the worst rhythm section of any popular band" -- Henry Rollins. Finally, after 25 years together, a big f-you from Adam and Larry to the former singer from Black Flag and now occasional poetry-reader. Take that, you tattooed freak! Seriously, this might be the best thing Adam's ever done. Besides Naomi. (rimshot) But seriously, folks. I'll be here all week! Tip your waitresses.

2:12 Oh! You! Look! So! Beau-ti-ful! Tonight! I'm in the heart or target or whatever they'll have, sweating, thirsty, jumping up and down with 20,000 of my closest friends. Hello, Visa? I'm gonna need an extension.

2:34 This song is so good that I don't care what Bono is singing about. In fact, the closer you listen, the less it makes sense. My advice: just learn the chorus.

2:54 Except for this part: Can you see the beauty inside of me? What happened to the beauty I had inside of me?

3:35 Oh! You! Look! So! Bue! Tee! Full! Tonight!

3:56 The bridge from "Electrical Storm"? Come on, fellas. Not again.

4:10 "Time won't leave me as I am. But time won't take the boy out of this man." That's my new live sing-along money shot, replacing "I'm a man! I'm not a child" from "Kite."

5:08 Word Count "Kneel": Three.

5:47 Is it possible for this song be turned up too loudly? I think not.

6. All Because of You

0:00 Edge is well aware that you're supposed to turn off amp and guitar before plugging them in. Ouch.

0:31 At this point in the album, they begin doing what can best be described as "Squeezing" several songs. Go back and listen to any Squeeze song from the '80s. What Difford and Tilbrook did was sing at the same time in two different octaves so that we could pick one when we wanted to sing along with like Winona and Janeane in Reality Bites. "If I didn't love you, I'd hate you" for example. I don't recall U2 doing this in the past. Of course, in this case, it's Bono twice. How he'll be able to recreate this in concert is beyond me. Perhaps he's been up at a Tibetan ashram learning how to throat-sing.

0:34 "grace, place, face"

0:47 "moon, room, tune"

0:41 Bono: "you left me no illusion." Joe Walsh: "living a life of illusion."

0:55 Bono: "when I just heard confusion." Joe Walsh: "backed up against a wall of confusion." Coincidence? Hmmm.

1:02 Red Hill Mining Disaster: "aaaalll because of you." No way. Never again.

1:24 "I like the sound of my own voice"? Has Mr. Hewson ever written a lyric so truthful? No, he hasn't. "Like" isn't a strong enough word for how Bono feels about the sound of his own voice. Perhaps, "I'm addicted to the sound of my own voice." Here's something Bono has never said: "I didn't notice that [microphone, camera, huggable woman, world leader, wrong that needs righting, investment opportunity, stealable musical influence, whiskey] was there!"

1:34 "An intellectual tortoise"? Is that what he said? This just in: Bono builds new home on the Galapagos Islands.

1:37 "bullet train" We're back to the train motif from before.

1:41 "crossing the tracks"

1:45 Here it is. The single best lyric of the new album. As good as "But I can change a world in me" and almost as good as "a place that has to be believed to be seen." Ready? "I'm not broke, but you can see the cracks -- you can make me perfect again." Sometimes, Bono can just write something that works perfectly. This is that moment.

2:11 "Haaa, haaa, yeah, yeah, Heyeah." Hey, you in the backwards Abercrombie & Fitch hat and the two beers, you're allowed to sing this part. And congratulations on knowing the words to "One."

2:46 Bono does his best Paul McCartney "Back in the USSR" impersonation.

2:49 Edge does his best Lynyrd Skynyrd "Free Bird" guitar solo. It sounds good.

7. A Man and a Woman

0:00 You can have your "Elvis Presley and America"s. Take your "Staring at the Sun" and "Lemon (Bad Yard Club Mix)." Add "Rejoice" and the version of "October" from They Call It An Accident. "Boy/Girl"? The Vegas opening night "Discotheque"? Nope. "Luminous Times (Hold on to Love)"? Close. What we have here, ladies and gentlemen, is the worst song U2 has ever recorded. Send your e-mails to answerguy@atu2.com.

0:01 Starts much like "One."

0:28 "take the heat from the sun." Isn't that what we do everyday here on planet earth?

0:36 "I know that everything is not okay." Um, yeah. Like this song.

1:02 "I could never take a chance." Oh. My. God. It's awful.

1:07 "losing love to find romance." You've got to be kidding me.

1:11 "in the mysterious distance." Stop it, please. You just rhymed "dist-ance" with "romance."

1:14 "between a man and a woman." Oh, the humanity!

1:24 Edge is doing his best "Ahh" background vocals. "You're cruising tonight with Delilah -- sit back, relax -- we've got more love songs on the way -- you'll hear from England Dan and John Ford Coley -- also there's some Seals & Croft with "Summer Breeze" on the way -- and "Love is Alive" by Gary Wright -- but first, here's a new song by a band called "U2" -- that's the letter U and the numeral 2. This is dedicated to Hector from Ashonti. It's called "A Man and a Woman."

1:53 "the only pain is to feel nothing at all." That and listening to this song.

1:58 The great Neil Diamond in 1973: "Hurtin' runs off my shoulders, how can I hurt when holding you." The great Bono in 2004: "How can I hurt when I'm holding you."

2:22 "who makes me want to lose myself." More like "shoot myself."

2:34 "brown-eyed girl across the street." Poor Edge and his falsetto. Poor Ali. I'm sure the Hewson children think this is cute. But did we all need to hear this valentine? Bono could have stopped with "Sweetest Thing" and we never would have had to hear this.

2:57 "I've been sleeping in the street again." That is, if by "street" you mean The W or the bungalows at Chateau Marmont.

3:02 Listen with headphones and you can hear the electric drums from the Ami Stewart 1978 disco hit "Knock on Wood."

3:23 Word Count "Soul": Two.

3:24 They're pulling out all the stops. Bono in 2004: "The soul needs beauty for a soulmate." Bono in 2001: "The soul needs beauty for a soulmate." Maybe I'll substitute the much better "Always" for this song on my iPod rotation.

3:28 Word Count "Soul": Three.

3:33 Word Count "Soul": Four.

4:08 "Lucy. Lucy, I'm home!" Bono's got some splainin' to do!

4:23 I am now checking the box next to this song on iTunes. It will never come up on my Party Shuffle again. Goodbye and Godspeed.

8. Crumbs From Your Table

0:01 "Electrical Storm" guitar. For the 8th time.

0:07 [bell]

0:09 [bell]

0:13 nice scale with the [bell]. Larry is more in love with the bell than ever. (Fade in.) Band meeting. Seven months ago. Dublin City, Ireland. Edge: "I'm falling in love with keyboards again." Adam: "Since I stopped trying to date Giselle and Victoria's Secret models whose last names range from H-K, I've learned how to play the bass." Bono: "I'm working on what I think will be my go-to phrase. How about, 'This is our first album. After 25 years, we've finally recorded our first album.' I'm also working on what I think will be our 'Ode to Joy,' our 'Hey Jude,' our 'Stairway to Heaven.' It's a song called 'A Man and a Woman.' Larry: "Never mind that stuff. My bleedin' arm hurts so bad, I can barely drum. Maybe I shouldn't have stayed up all last night counting my money. Is there any way for me to use more drum machines on this record? I don't know how long my tendons can take this." Adam, Bono and Edge (in unison): "We've got it! We'll add a tiny bell to every song. Surely, you can hold the seven ounce metal hammer, right?" Larry: "You guys are the best. I'm glad I put that notice up on the bulletin board. Group hug!" (...and scene!)

0:22 Larry takes a cortisone shot and begins drumming in earnest.

0:45 More Squeeze influence "from the brightest star." Could they be doing this double-octave singing so that live, Bono can pick the high octave after nights off, and the lower octave for Chicago or Boston #4?

0:55 Word Count "Soul": Five.

1:08 Cool now mama, cool love? Groovy.

1:23 At this point, Bono might as well be speaking Esperanto. He loses me until

1:32 "...if I was able." And I'm back.

1:43 This is the most cymbal work I've ever heard out of Larry. He's like one of those marching band guys from the Academy Award-winning Drumline.

1:58 Did he just rhyme "see" with "psychology"? Brilliant, I say!

2:05 With a mouth full of teeth, you ate all your friends?

2:55 Where you live should not decide whether you live or whether you die. Nice.

3:08 Red Hill Mining Town Disaster: "dignity passes by."

3:16 Background includes a foghorn.

3:21 Foghorn.

3:27 Foghorn.

3:31 Foghorn. This song was recorded on the coast of Nova Scotia. Oh, they're everywhere that I'm not.

4:23 During Edge's solo, I hear the choir from "You Can't Always Get What You Want."

4:51 They finish up the song with a sample of Gary Numan's "Cars."

9. One Step Closer

0:00 Pardon me. "I may get lost, I'm one step closer to home." The Alarm. Oh, those mullet-filled days back in the '80s when Big Country, the Alarm, and U2 were tied for world domination. I wonder how that whole rivalry panned out.

0:01 This is going to be a cacophony of sounds in both the left and right headphone. Wow. Follow along while I take notes.

0:02 I'm hearing keyboard chords from The Million Dollar Hotel.

0:20 In the back of the warehouse is Edge plugging in his guitar.

0:22 Left: First Edge string pick.

0:28 Larry sits down behind the snare and brushes against it by mistake.

0:33 Right: Someone begins hammering a 2 x 4. It continues on time for 23 seconds.

0:44 Right: Edge got a hold of Kraftwerk's casio.

0:48 Center: Engineer Flood holds up microphone to a rare Hanover cricket which only emerges from its nest every 11 years.

0:51 Center: Someone has dropped some coins into a gutter.

1:20 Larry is playing his big drums.

2:02 Edge brings back the Peter Frampton voicebox effect on "knowing."

2:10 And the bell is back. Thank goodness!

3:14 Say, Larry, could you make your drumming even louder here? Just hit the big one with your foot and the other big one with both hands please. Try to drown out everything else that's going on here.

3:35 Sleep, sleep tonight, and may your dreams be realized.

10. Original of the Species

0:00 In Europe and America, there's a growing feeling of hysteria. Oops. I thought I heard Sting there for a second. This also sounds like the happy flip-side of Adam's line in "With or Without You."

0:13 Edge continues to be in love with the piano.

0:17 The end is not as far as the start. Um, what if you're on kilometer one of a half-marathon?

0:26 Bono in 1980: "Into the heart of a child, I can smile, I can go there." Bono in 2004: "Please stay a child somewhere in your heart."

0:31 Good Larry part.

0:33 String arrangement by Michael Kamen.

0:35 I'll give you everything you want, except the thing that you want. If ever a lyric could sum up Bono's read-whatever-the-hell-you-want-to-into-my-words method of writing, it may be this. I can't live with or without you.

0:50 Symphonic crescendo!

1:07 Word Count "Kneel": Four.

1:13 I want a lot of what you got and I want nothing that you're not. Um. Okay.

1:18 Cool Edge Part.

1:28 And then they're quiet again. This is known in the biz as a decrescendo.

1:40 They almost lose me here. Some things you shouldn't get too good at. Like smiling, crying and celebrity. Did he just tell us not to get too good at celebrity? OK, your highness. I'll do whatever it takes to not get very proficient in being a celebrity. Why, if you wouldn't have said it so clearly in this song, who knows what could have happened? Besides, has anyone ever been as good at being a celebrity as the B-man?

2:00 Here's what I'd do here. "I'll give you everything you want" -- then a huge horn section, like Genesis before Phil Collins got a big head, or Otis Redding back in the day. If they had recorded this during the Rattle and Hum sessions, the Sun Studios musicians could have punched the song up right here. It's exciting as it is, but I'm picturing the addition of Earth, Wind, and Fire.

2:08 My left ear is hearing Edge go off.

2:14 He's now apparently playing Brian May's mantelpiece guitar. Radio Gaga, indeed.

2:34 Word Count "Kneel": Five.

2:58 Cymbal crash. "Oh no." It's getting quiet. You know something cool is about to happen. What do they have in store for us? And then Bono either whispers "here's a thought" or "what the f**k?" And then brilliance. That's right, brilliance.

3:08 De do, de do, de do, de do. That is absolutely all I want to say to you. A perfect do do in the perfect place. It makes the song instantly happy. And all the colored girls go de do de do de do de do. It makes me smile the whole time I'm singing along. How cool will this be live? That's right, very. Twelve seconds of bliss.

3:20 I'm lost on the words here. Shake come on? Show your.

3:22 Word Count "Soul": Six.

3:30 Bono is actually singing the end of the word "control" at the exact same time he's also singing "Everywhere you go." Wow. He just gets better and better.

4:04 Word Count "Kneel": Six.

4:25 Edge falls in love with the ending of "Trip Through Your Wires."

4:34 I would have changed the title.

11. Yahweh

0:00 Dripping water?

0:03 Is this not a note-for-note of Coldplay's "Yellow"?

0:19 "Take these shoes, click clackin' down some dead end street." I've come into the possession of the original lyrics. They go something like this: "Take these shoes, with a sole so high I often trip. Take these shoes, they make me tall. Take this hair, is it brown or red or even real. Take this hair, and make it thick. Thick. Take these shades, so Answer Guy won't get more questions. Take these shades off of my eyes. Eyes."

0:49 Word Count "Soul": Seven.

0:56 Word Count "Soul": Eight.

1:03 "Walk On. Walk On. Always pain before the child is born." Clearly, the new final song of the tour.

1:20 Do you think the Clear Channel VIPs will be singing "Yeah way" as they hold up their wristbands?

1:30 Edge is falling in love with the keyboard part from "One Tree Hill."

2:46 His love is like a drop in the ocean. I believe Echo and the Bunnymen would argue that it's not just another drop in the ocean.

3:23 Oh woah woah. This album's "With or Without You" sing-along.

12. Fast Cars

0:01 Bono does his Robert Plant. "Oh, I can't quit you babe."

0:03 I think I heard this guitar part at the donkey show in Tijuana.

0:17 Bono begins his white-boy rap. See if this sounds familiar. First to fall over when the atmosphere is less than perfect. Your sensibilities are shaken by the slightest defect. You live your life like a canary in a coal mine. You get so dizzy even walking in a straight line. Mr. Hewson, meet Mr. Sumner.

0:48 These fast cars, will do me no good. And if you've ever seen Bono drive, you understand what he's saying.

1:06 I'm going nowhere where I am it is a lot of fun? Now he's just making stuff up.

1:09 Here in the desert to dismantle an atomic bomb. That's your "Walk On" for this album. You need to have the song that has the album title in it.

1:15 "shadowbox, stocks, detox." It's the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine.

1:35 In the right speaker...it can't be...do I hear a theremin?

1:58 Bono and Edge fall in love with the Beach Boys.

2:15 You should worry about the day that the pain it goes away you know I miss mine sometimes. I am just going to give up on this one. I never understand what he's singing about anyway.

2:48 Bono: Whoo!

2:58 "fiction, situation, conversation." We didn't start the fire, it was always burning since the world's been turning.

Final Word Counts:

Soul: 8
Kneel: 6

Final Song Ranking:

1. City of Blinding Lights
2. Original of the Species
3. Sometimes...
4. Yahweh
5. All Because of You
6. Fast Cars
7. Love and Peace or Else
8. Miracle Drug
9. Vertigo
10. Crumbs From Your Table
11. One Step Closer
12. A Man and a Woman

europop2005 said:

1. Vertigo

0:05 Unos, Dos, Tres, Catorce. It takes exactly ten seconds for Bono to say something that we'll have to defend to non-fans. I got this question just last night. Why 1, 2, 3, 14? You might quiet these people by saying that it's something "God-related." That's usually a safe bet with Bono's lyrics.

0:12 "Oh Captain, my Captain!" Larry reciting Walt Whitman? These guys are incredibly well-read. I'm getting the feeling I've heard this song somewhere before. It would make a great advertising jingle. If only the right product could be found to pair it with. I'm seeing a woman with a huge afro and white things coming out of her ears. Good guitar jam. Not only is this a great album kickoff, but it will be a great concert kickoff.

0:37 The band can wave hello as they come onstage. Perhaps they'll be a "Trippy Vertigo Remix" that they'll play over the loudspeakers. A version we'll never be able to find. This part seems almost perfectly designed. First the band will say "hello," then we in the crowd can yell "Hola!" It's like mind control. We're defenseless against the powers of Bono's suggestion. They might as well have called this song "Hello, Cleveland." Perhaps they'll change the words for each venue: "Hello, Tacoma, I'm at a place called Tacoma Dome -- rain falls down and all I know is the sound, in here, is unreal -- unreaaall." All the Bono wannabees can sing along with "feel."

1:00 "as bullets rip the sky." Bono finds his lyric journal from the Unforgettable Fire era.

1:22 at this point during the show, all your friends who don't really know the songs will be able to sing along with the "oh, oh," just like they do during "With or Without You" and "All I Want Is You." They'll be the ones in the heart when you couldn't get in. They'll be the ones who got in for free because they work for a cell phone company. At least you've got them beaten lyrically.

1:55 This would generally be considered a "guitar solo," which in this case means Edge playing four notes over and over again.

2:09 Instead of singing along with "all of this..." substitute the following: "there's a place I go when I am far away," because it's from 1980. At this point U2 is hoping that the young fans don't know "Stories for Boys."

2:37 "I can feel your love teaching me how owow owow." This is a Bono trademark. Dragging a word out longer than necessary. He lifted this from Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber's Cats "...and there's no doing anything abow owow owow it!" Rum Tum Bono is a curious cat, and there isn't any need to doubt it, indeed.

2. Miracle Drug

0:00 If it were a disco roller skating rink in the '70s, the DJ would say "we're gonna slow things down now." Or if I was in my Michigan middle school, this would have been the dreaded "Sadie Hawkins song" -- girls ask the boys.

0:02 At this point, it becomes clear that the reason Bono never used his famous "Edge has fallen back in love with the guitar for this record" sound bite is because Edge has decidedly not fallen back in love with the guitar for this record. He has, in fact, fallen hard for what we call "keyboards." Taking a page from the Geddy Lee handbook, Edge was tired of only one of his feet doing anything substantive during live shows. To counter his lollygagging, he found a way for one foot to play distortion, while the other plays one of those huge floor keyboards last seen in Tom Hanks' Big. It should be fun to watch him jump around during the tour.

0:22 Did Bono just say he wants to spend the day inside my head? Be careful what you wish for, Mr. Hewson!

0:47 Great line on first glance: "freedom has a scent, like the top of newborn baby's head." This is sweet. I don't have kids, but I see parents constantly sniffing the heads of infants. Upon a closer look, however, the line falls flat. "Hey, Mr. Mandela, you've just spent 26 years on Robben Island, how do you feel?" "Amandla! Awethu! I am so happy to be free and back home with Winnie. By the way, what is that alluring scent?"

2:02 Here's where this song loses me. "I've had enough of romantic love." If that's true, I don't want a part of their revolution. Answer Guy would not give it up for a miracle drug. To paraphrase Roxy Music, "love is, love is the [miracle] drug!"

3:00 This is an exciting bridge. "Beneath the noise, below the din, I hear your voice, it's whispering." Sure he rhymed "din" with "whisperin'" but it still works somehow. Sometimes passages in songs work in spite of their words. My second-favorite band makes me tear up with "you've been a hole in my sky, you're my shrinking water supply, till my well runs dry." There's no accounting for taste.

1:04 Bono: "listen to me now!" Not for nothing, but haven't we been listening to Bono since about 1979?

1:22 "Red Hill Mining Town" Moment One: "and it's you when I look in the mirror." Edge and Bono will never hit that note in concert. Also at this point, Edge is playing the chorus to the Cure's "Pictures of You." Doo doo doo doo doo.

1:40 After Bono says "we fight..." Edge begins an entire passage which is played on his patented "one-string guitar." It lasts for about 40 seconds. "Ring them bells, Edge."

2:16 Faintly in the background on the left side is the bell from "Electrical Storm." This is not the last time we'll hear it on this album. Clearly, Larry has fallen in love with the bell again.

3:00 Edge has fallen back in love with a note for note rendition of the "Electrical Storm" guitar solo. Get me Samantha Morton's agent on the phone!

3:13 This is a cool Bono part. He's singing a song for his late, opera-loving father and he finds a way to include a sustained opera note for him to sing. "Can you hear me when I sing? You're the reason I sing! You're the reason why the opera is in me!" How freakin' great is that? I'm getting weepy now. Never mind that musically, this part has nothing to do with the rest of the song. And it is a bit too close to Coldplay's "In My Place" -- come back and sing to me, to me, come on and sing it out. It's always compelling to sing the word "sing" as loudly as possible. Just a warning for those I may be standing near "in the target" on the Vertigo Tour.

4:24 "Red Hill Mining Town" Moment Two: Vegas bookmakers are giving 7-to-1 odds that Bono will never hit the notes for "the best you can do is to fake it" ever again.

5:01 Larry just sort of stops with bass drum only. His RSI renders him unable to drum past the five minute mark on any song. Look for shortened versions of "Bad" on this tour.

0:10 Apparently, they found some leftover "found" tape sounds from the Zooropa sessions.

0:44 Did I just hear a sample from the seminal Queen soundtrack Flash Gordon? I think I did. Scary outer space sound from the right side. "Father, not the bore worms!"

0:51 Larry is making a habit of being paid for a whole song's work, but only coming in after a substantial amount of time has passed. Man, he's financially shrewd!

0:53 Edge is doing his best Jimmy Page, "How Many More Times [Live Version]," impression.

2:23 Edge has fallen in love with his live Elevation Tour "Fly" solo again. Actually, this song rocks right about here.

3:27 Strangest Bridge Ever! Bono is going on and on in his white-boy rap while someone appears to be playing the glockenspiel in the left speaker. Is it possible that Edge has fallen in love with the glockenspiel?

3:50 At this point, the song begins that thing that all techno songs do without fail. Muffle everything and then slowly take the muffle away until the treble can be heard while making it ear-splittingly loud so that everyone rendered rhythm-less because they're on E can raise their hands at the right time and cheer as Oakenfold changes from one turntable to the next. Reminds me of every single song I heard on Mykynos the past three summers. Have you ever seen people cheer and applaud a DJ for flipping a switch while keeping his headphones balanced on only one ear? I have.

0:12 Edge has fallen back in love with his guitar work from "Rejoice." It's falling it's falling and outside the buildings are tumbling down.

0:23 Uh-oh. Edge is now also in love with the piano again. In this case, "All By Myself" by Eric Carmen.

0:50 OK. You know you're thinking it, so I'm going to say it for you. Sing along with me now: "somebody told me that you had a boyfriend who looks like a girlfriend that I had in February of last year." Could it be that this song was written by the Killers? That doesn't make it bad. In fact, I may like it more because of it. Of course,it's better than any song by the Killers.

1:18 The more you see the less you know. You intrigue me with your riddle, Bono. An indictment of habitual watchers of Fox News, perhaps? David Blaine fans?

1:34 Neon heart, dayglo eyes, then the background singing starts which cannot be described. It's like the Corrs, Enya, and Clannad all got together to sing through Radiohead's OK Computer which makes them sound ghostly.

1:44 "for people like us"? Answer Guy and Bono? You mean we happy few who own five homes scattered throughout the world, who can get the Pope, Orrin Hatch, Paul Allen, or Tom Hanks on the phone with a single call? Bruce Springsteen has made a lucrative career out of pretending to be a working mechanic average Joe, while living on a guarded estate in rural New Jersey. No reason Bono can't do the same thing.

1:59 I'm getting ready to leave the ground. This will absolutely kill live. I can't wait.

2:00 "[U2 have] by far the worst rhythm section of any popular band" -- Henry Rollins. Finally, after 25 years together, a big f-you from Adam and Larry to the former singer from Black Flag and now occasional poetry-reader. Take that, you tattooed freak! Seriously, this might be the best thing Adam's ever done. Besides Naomi. (rimshot) But seriously, folks. I'll be here all week! Tip your waitresses.

2:12 Oh! You! Look! So! Beau-ti-ful! Tonight! I'm in the heart or target or whatever they'll have, sweating, thirsty, jumping up and down with 20,000 of my closest friends. Hello, Visa? I'm gonna need an extension.

2:34 This song is so good that I don't care what Bono is singing about. In fact, the closer you listen, the less it makes sense. My advice: just learn the chorus.

2:54 Except for this part: Can you see the beauty inside of me? What happened to the beauty I had inside of me?

4:10 "Time won't leave me as I am. But time won't take the boy out of this man." That's my new live sing-along money shot, replacing "I'm a man! I'm not a child" from "Kite."

6. All Because of You

0:00 Edge is well aware that you're supposed to turn off amp and guitar before plugging them in. Ouch.

0:31 At this point in the album, they begin doing what can best be described as "Squeezing" several songs. Go back and listen to any Squeeze song from the '80s. What Difford and Tilbrook did was sing at the same time in two different octaves so that we could pick one when we wanted to sing along with like Winona and Janeane in Reality Bites. "If I didn't love you, I'd hate you" for example. I don't recall U2 doing this in the past. Of course, in this case, it's Bono twice. How he'll be able to recreate this in concert is beyond me. Perhaps he's been up at a Tibetan ashram learning how to throat-sing.

0:55 Bono: "when I just heard confusion." Joe Walsh: "backed up against a wall of confusion." Coincidence? Hmmm.

1:24 "I like the sound of my own voice"? Has Mr. Hewson ever written a lyric so truthful? No, he hasn't. "Like" isn't a strong enough word for how Bono feels about the sound of his own voice. Perhaps, "I'm addicted to the sound of my own voice." Here's something Bono has never said: "I didn't notice that [microphone, camera, huggable woman, world leader, wrong that needs righting, investment opportunity, stealable musical influence, whiskey] was there!"

1:34 "An intellectual tortoise"? Is that what he said? This just in: Bono builds new home on the Galapagos Islands.

1:45 Here it is. The single best lyric of the new album. As good as "But I can change a world in me" and almost as good as "a place that has to be believed to be seen." Ready? "I'm not broke, but you can see the cracks -- you can make me perfect again." Sometimes, Bono can just write something that works perfectly. This is that moment.

2:11 "Haaa, haaa, yeah, yeah, Heyeah." Hey, you in the backwards Abercrombie & Fitch hat and the two beers, you're allowed to sing this part. And congratulations on knowing the words to "One."

7. A Man and a Woman

0:00 You can have your "Elvis Presley and America"s. Take your "Staring at the Sun" and "Lemon (Bad Yard Club Mix)." Add "Rejoice" and the version of "October" from They Call It An Accident. "Boy/Girl"? The Vegas opening night "Discotheque"? Nope. "Luminous Times (Hold on to Love)"? Close. What we have here, ladies and gentlemen, is the worst song U2 has ever recorded. Send your e-mails to answerguy@atu2.com.

0:28 "take the heat from the sun." Isn't that what we do everyday here on planet earth?

1:11 "in the mysterious distance." Stop it, please. You just rhymed "dist-ance" with "romance."

1:24 Edge is doing his best "Ahh" background vocals. "You're cruising tonight with Delilah -- sit back, relax -- we've got more love songs on the way -- you'll hear from England Dan and John Ford Coley -- also there's some Seals & Croft with "Summer Breeze" on the way -- and "Love is Alive" by Gary Wright -- but first, here's a new song by a band called "U2" -- that's the letter U and the numeral 2. This is dedicated to Hector from Ashonti. It's called "A Man and a Woman."

1:53 "the only pain is to feel nothing at all." That and listening to this song.

1:58 The great Neil Diamond in 1973: "Hurtin' runs off my shoulders, how can I hurt when holding you." The great Bono in 2004: "How can I hurt when I'm holding you."

2:34 "brown-eyed girl across the street." Poor Edge and his falsetto. Poor Ali. I'm sure the Hewson children think this is cute. But did we all need to hear this valentine? Bono could have stopped with "Sweetest Thing" and we never would have had to hear this.

2:57 "I've been sleeping in the street again." That is, if by "street" you mean The W or the bungalows at Chateau Marmont.

3:02 Listen with headphones and you can hear the electric drums from the Ami Stewart 1978 disco hit "Knock on Wood."

3:24 They're pulling out all the stops. Bono in 2004: "The soul needs beauty for a soulmate." Bono in 2001: "The soul needs beauty for a soulmate." Maybe I'll substitute the much better "Always" for this song on my iPod rotation.

4:23 I am now checking the box next to this song on iTunes. It will never come up on my Party Shuffle again. Goodbye and Godspeed.

0:13 nice scale with the [bell]. Larry is more in love with the bell than ever. (Fade in.) Band meeting. Seven months ago. Dublin City, Ireland. Edge: "I'm falling in love with keyboards again." Adam: "Since I stopped trying to date Giselle and Victoria's Secret models whose last names range from H-K, I've learned how to play the bass." Bono: "I'm working on what I think will be my go-to phrase. How about, 'This is our first album. After 25 years, we've finally recorded our first album.' I'm also working on what I think will be our 'Ode to Joy,' our 'Hey Jude,' our 'Stairway to Heaven.' It's a song called 'A Man and a Woman.' Larry: "Never mind that stuff. My bleedin' arm hurts so bad, I can barely drum. Maybe I shouldn't have stayed up all last night counting my money. Is there any way for me to use more drum machines on this record? I don't know how long my tendons can take this." Adam, Bono and Edge (in unison): "We've got it! We'll add a tiny bell to every song. Surely, you can hold the seven ounce metal hammer, right?" Larry: "You guys are the best. I'm glad I put that notice up on the bulletin board. Group hug!" (...and scene!)

0:45 More Squeeze influence "from the brightest star." Could they be doing this double-octave singing so that live, Bono can pick the high octave after nights off, and the lower octave for Chicago or Boston #4?

1:43 This is the most cymbal work I've ever heard out of Larry. He's like one of those marching band guys from the Academy Award-winning Drumline.

2:55 Where you live should not decide whether you live or whether you die. Nice.

3:31 Foghorn. This song was recorded on the coast of Nova Scotia. Oh, they're everywhere that I'm not.

4:23 During Edge's solo, I hear the choir from "You Can't Always Get What You Want."

9. One Step Closer

0:00 Pardon me. "I may get lost, I'm one step closer to home." The Alarm. Oh, those mullet-filled days back in the '80s when Big Country, the Alarm, and U2 were tied for world domination. I wonder how that whole rivalry panned out.

0:01 This is going to be a cacophony of sounds in both the left and right headphone. Wow. Follow along while I take notes.

0:33 Right: Someone begins hammering a 2 x 4. It continues on time for 23 seconds.

0:48 Center: Engineer Flood holds up microphone to a rare Hanover cricket which only emerges from its nest every 11 years.

3:14 Say, Larry, could you make your drumming even louder here? Just hit the big one with your foot and the other big one with both hands please. Try to drown out everything else that's going on here.

0:00 In Europe and America, there's a growing feeling of hysteria. Oops. I thought I heard Sting there for a second. This also sounds like the happy flip-side of Adam's line in "With or Without You."

0:17 The end is not as far as the start. Um, what if you're on kilometer one of a half-marathon?

0:26 Bono in 1980: "Into the heart of a child, I can smile, I can go there." Bono in 2004: "Please stay a child somewhere in your heart."

0:35 I'll give you everything you want, except the thing that you want. If ever a lyric could sum up Bono's read-whatever-the-hell-you-want-to-into-my-words method of writing, it may be this. I can't live with or without you.

1:40 They almost lose me here. Some things you shouldn't get too good at. Like smiling, crying and celebrity. Did he just tell us not to get too good at celebrity? OK, your highness. I'll do whatever it takes to not get very proficient in being a celebrity. Why, if you wouldn't have said it so clearly in this song, who knows what could have happened? Besides, has anyone ever been as good at being a celebrity as the B-man?

2:00 Here's what I'd do here. "I'll give you everything you want" -- then a huge horn section, like Genesis before Phil Collins got a big head, or Otis Redding back in the day. If they had recorded this during the Rattle and Hum sessions, the Sun Studios musicians could have punched the song up right here. It's exciting as it is, but I'm picturing the addition of Earth, Wind, and Fire.

2:14 He's now apparently playing Brian May's mantelpiece guitar. Radio Gaga, indeed.

2:58 Cymbal crash. "Oh no." It's getting quiet. You know something cool is about to happen. What do they have in store for us? And then Bono either whispers "here's a thought" or "what the f**k?" And then brilliance. That's right, brilliance.

3:08 De do, de do, de do, de do. That is absolutely all I want to say to you. A perfect do do in the perfect place. It makes the song instantly happy. And all the colored girls go de do de do de do de do. It makes me smile the whole time I'm singing along. How cool will this be live? That's right, very. Twelve seconds of bliss.

3:30 Bono is actually singing the end of the word "control" at the exact same time he's also singing "Everywhere you go." Wow. He just gets better and better.

11. Yahweh

0:19 "Take these shoes, click clackin' down some dead end street." I've come into the possession of the original lyrics. They go something like this: "Take these shoes, with a sole so high I often trip. Take these shoes, they make me tall. Take this hair, is it brown or red or even real. Take this hair, and make it thick. Thick. Take these shades, so Answer Guy won't get more questions. Take these shades off of my eyes. Eyes."

1:03 "Walk On. Walk On. Always pain before the child is born." Clearly, the new final song of the tour.

1:20 Do you think the Clear Channel VIPs will be singing "Yeah way" as they hold up their wristbands?

2:46 His love is like a drop in the ocean. I believe Echo and the Bunnymen would argue that it's not just another drop in the ocean.

12. Fast Cars

0:17 Bono begins his white-boy rap. See if this sounds familiar. First to fall over when the atmosphere is less than perfect. Your sensibilities are shaken by the slightest defect. You live your life like a canary in a coal mine. You get so dizzy even walking in a straight line. Mr. Hewson, meet Mr. Sumner.

0:48 These fast cars, will do me no good. And if you've ever seen Bono drive, you understand what he's saying.

1:06 I'm going nowhere where I am it is a lot of fun? Now he's just making stuff up.

1:09 Here in the desert to dismantle an atomic bomb. That's your "Walk On" for this album. You need to have the song that has the album title in it.

1:15 "shadowbox, stocks, detox." It's the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine.

2:15 You should worry about the day that the pain it goes away you know I miss mine sometimes. I am just going to give up on this one. I never understand what he's singing about anyway.

2:58 "fiction, situation, conversation." We didn't start the fire, it was always burning since the world's been turning.

Final Word Counts:

Final Song Ranking:

3. Sometimes...
4. Yahweh
5. All Because of You
6. Fast Cars
8. Miracle Drug
9. Vertigo
10. Crumbs From Your Table
11. One Step Closer
12. A Man and a Woman

Hmm... I disagree with the review entirely, and I'm not sure that it belongs in this thread, but it's brilliant and pretty damn hilarious.

Good review. :up:

As it's a positive HTDAAB review expect the vocal minority to hijack the thread. Oh, they already have....

Reading that review makes me want to give it another spin...with a reworked tracklisting of course. ;)

There have only been six replies to this thread. Despite this, it takes approximately six minutes to scroll down the page. :crack: When you quote a long post, would it kill you to snip a bit out of it?

BorderGirl said:
I don't usually post here, so maybe this has already been posted before? Thought you all might like it.

+++
U2's How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
An Eloquent and Ravishing Explosion
Kenneth Tanner

"U2 continues to defy the conventions of rock on its latest, How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb, whittling away at the romantic and transient roots of the form on songs like "Miracle Drug" and "A Man and a Woman," and – on their 11th studio album in 28 years – defeating an egocentric tradition that has left many of the best performers and acts in ruins.

At first it seems Atomic Bomb might be an admirable twin of All That You Can't Leave Behind, a stellar record by any standard, but not quite reaching the achievement of The Joshua Tree, or the band's magnum opus, Achtung Baby!

Then the stoic, folksy authenticity of "One Step Closer," the shimmering, convicting irony of "Crumbs from Your Table," and the glittering, expectant wisdom of "Original of the Species" transcend expectations and confirm hopes – and what else does this band trade in but hope?

Another day with the record will banish any doubt that Atomic Bomb is, song for song, a work of art: complex, gutsy, intimate, demanding, eloquent and ravishing.

Atomic Bomb belongs in the top tier of U2's very best records. Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby! and Atomic Bomb are sonic masterpieces by different measures, separated by more time between their release than any of the best Beatles albums (to take one instance), marked by ascents in the band's songwriting and virtuosity (how many successful acts study music and work with master teachers of their art between records?), and leavened by the band's insatiable collecting of influences.

Lyrically, Atomic Bomb seems the most conspicuously Christian record the band has released since October (and I'm the sort of believer who considers "Wake Up Dead Man" as faithful a Christian prayer as, say, "Gloria").

The protagonist of Achtung Baby!, a prodigal entranced by a moonlit night and the kiss of seduction, fumbles his way back home only to find that darkness lingers. Now the wanderer is chastened: romantic notions no longer hold sway, the eyes of the heart rule the intellect, true love is at home. Yet, restless for Love, he wrestles with the Almighty: kneeling (always kneeling), pleading for intervention (how long must the world abide before the new dawn?), over and over again offering his heart ("take this heart and make it break" are the album's closing words), seeking now a kiss from God.

"Yahweh" is a postmodern Christmas hymn. It looks in hope to the birth of Christ ("always pain before a child is born") as it presses home a question the Father's long-awaited gift evokes in honest souls: "Why the dark before the dawn?" "Miracle Drug," "Crumbs from Your Table," "Vertigo," "Love and Peace or Else," and "Yahweh" not only allude to but even depend on the Gospel to disclose their meaning.

I'm bound for some Paul McGuinness-inspired purgatory for using the words "Christian record" in the same sentence with "U2," but I think the band is big enough (and mature enough) now not to worry overmuch about people getting the wrong impression (who would mistake these guys for Bible thumpers?). The band was right to resist the label – no doubt it would have limited their audience and their art at earlier stages – but it seems time to simply live with the contradictions and let the chips fall where they may.

On All That You Can't Leave Behind and during the subsequent tour, U2 expressed Christian faith with excerpts from the Psalms, hallelujahs to the Almighty, and urgent activism on behalf of "the least of these." During the tour Bono had told one reporter, "It feels like there's a blessing on the band right now. People say they're feeling shivers – well, the band is as well. And I don't know what it is, but it feels like God walking through the room, and it feels like a blessing, and in the end, music is a kind of sacrament; it's not just about airplay or chart position." It was a temperate yet unapologetic witness, not showy or preachy but unashamed, and that spirit continues on Atomic Bomb.

The abandonment of romance for a truer love (of the "tougher," more resilient, yea eternal, variety) is a common theme on Atomic Bomb, and though it might strike contemporary ears as paradoxical and uncool (is this rock & roll?), it seems Bono's experiences in Africa have taught him to distrust reigning American and European definitions of the beloved. "A Man and A Woman" is a realist's tribute to monogomy and a celebration of Bono's marriage to Ali (the lyric echoes Bono's attempts in interviews to describe the mystery of his bride and the miracle of their relationship).

If Achtung Baby! was the divorce album, Atomic Bomb is the marriage album, and reflected in Bono's marriage to Ali is the singer's marriage to God. When, at the end, he prays "take this mouth and give it a kiss," the Bridegroom of Song of Solomon is the teacher he seems to have in mind, the master who teaches him how to kneel at the start the album and to whom he turns at the end – what to do with his hands, feet, heart, and soul between this broken time and the marriage supper of the lamb?

"One Step Closer" is reminiscent of Dylan, though it judiciously employs (Eno's?) techno-ambient tricks. It's a beautiful sleeper that, along with its sonic opposite, "Love and Peace or Else" (a grimy, infectious groover with the fattest Clayton bass line ever), reveals U2's perennial ability to craft strange and deeply appealing songs from motley raw materials.

The music is breathtaking in parts (the Edge, Clayton, and Mullen are at the full flight of their considerable powers here), especially on "Crumbs," "Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own," and "Original of the Species," which seem the best of the pack – the best marriage of melody and lyric. Any of these songs is a cinch for Record of the Year in 2006 ("Vertigo," a wonderful wall of noise, is eligible this year). And, as ever, the band reaches out for new sounds while bringing back hints of its finest moments past (the best artists always do).

Frederick Buechner once said, "It's really very easy to be a writer – all you have to do is sit down at the typewriter and open a vein." Bono opens several on this record, and for a band that throughout the 90s prided itself on distance, these last two U2 albums explore interiors and reveal intimacies rarely expressed in rock. We've now been given permission to eavesdrop, and the conversation is direct and unafraid.

"Sometimes," written for Bono's father, Bob Hewson, as he lay dying in hospital, is the showstopper, as honest a confession as any rock band has ever laid down. It deftly puts the lie to the notion that rock & roll can't handle (much less recapitulate) the deeper experiences of life. U2 has made a career out of debunking that myth, and the genre will have made a significant stride if the band's contributions win the day.

In recent interviews Bono has said the "Atomic Bomb" of the title is his father ("he is the Atomic Bomb in question and it is his era, the Cold War era, and we had a bit of a cold war, myself and him"), and in others places he's said it refers to his emotional volatility in the wake of his father's death ("looking back, now I've finally managed to say goodbye, I think that I did do some mad stuff"). Bill Flanaghan's or Neil McCormick's accounts of the band's rise show the metaphor is an apt one for the father and the son. Earlier this year, Bono reportedly asked the songwriter Michael W. Smith if he knew how to dismantle an Atomic Bomb. When Smith said he didn't, Bono responded "Love. With Love."

Bob Hewson was an amateur opera singer who loved to listen to operas in his sitting room at night, directing the songs, as Bono recalls, with knitting needles. On "Sometimes," when Bono lets go his signature falsetto and scream-sings "you're the reason I sing/You're the reason why the opera is in me," it occurs that Love is able to dismantle the bomb in the father and the bomb in the son; that Love has the ability to disarm any weapon of destruction, material or spiritual, no matter how large, no matter how small. That comes as good news about right now.

The American theologian Robert Jenson says that, unlike political ideologies, the Spirit makes us free not from each other but for each other. Of all the rock clichés the U2 brothers overturn, it is perhaps their love for each other – held together despite strong wills and tested by time – that enables not only their longevity but an enduring ability to produce albums of rock music that belong among the genre's best.

Neil McCormick reports that after working five-day weeks for about a year the band had nearly the same set of songs ready for release last October, but it sensed an "indefinable magic" was missing. U2 spent another year working to find it. Bono told one reporter, "Whether it's Catholic guilt or whatever it is, it's not on to have this life that we've been given – this amazing life – and be crap."

Their fans can be grateful for a veteran band that refuses to settle for second best, and at a career point when acts think they've earned the right to be mediocre. That might appear to be the band's self-interest speaking (who wants to buy a "crap album"?), but it still takes humility to serve anyone (even rock fans), and the hard work that produced the double-barreled art of U2's last two albums needs not only a touch of grace but the cooperation of courage. It's faith active in love."

Source: w w w.secondspring.co.uk
Under "articles" on left hand side of page.

thats great!!

europop2005 said:

1. Vertigo

2. Miracle Drug

6. All Because of You

7. A Man and a Woman

9. One Step Closer

11. Yahweh

12. Fast Cars

Final Word Counts:

Final Song Ranking:

3. Sometimes...
4. Yahweh
5. All Because of You
6. Fast Cars
8. Miracle Drug