U2's R&R Hall of Fame induction

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Infinity

Refugee
Who does everyone think should induct into the hall? I think it should be Sting.

And what 3 songs should U2 play at the ceremony? How about: I Will Follow, Pride, and One?

:hmm:

If the rule is someone influenced by U2 is inducting, I could see Coldplay (Chris Martin) do it.

If it's a friend that does the induction, I think Michael Stipe. (I'd say Thom Yorke, but I'm not sure he's into those kind of events)

If it's someone who influenced U2, how about Dylan or Springsteen?

As for the songs...One almost definitely, Where the streets have no name from the 80's period and - something from the third decade, either Beautiful day or a song from "Vertigo".

Last edited:
I'd love to see Springsteen do it. He is an eloquent writer, and knows what it's like to be at that superstar status.

But I have the feeling it will be a lead singer from a smaller band, who was inspired by U2...

Anyone have ideas for the songs U2 should play? Anything else besides One/Pride/I Will Follow?

Cuz i think One has to be on the list because it is a very important and has a great meaning. But if they can only play 3 songs, what should the other 2 songs be?

I'm guessing 2 of these:

Pride
I will follow
Sunday Bloody sunday
Streets

I think they should play Beautiful Day, Where The Streets Have No Name, and Always. As far as who should introduce them, I don't really know, I think Springsteen would be a good choice though.

Most likely, IMO is Michael Stipe, and I think it would be the most appropriate.

As for the songs:
New Years Day
Pride
Where the Streets Have No Name

other possibilities:
Sunday Bloody Sunday
One
With or Without You

They should and they will play One. There is no point in arguing about that.

As for the other two songs, I think they'll choose Streets for one of them. The band loves that song and it's so great done live.

The third song is tricky. I don't think they should play anything really early, because, while we may love I Will Follow, it's not a classic U2 song. To the same extent, it's still premature to call Beautiful Day a classic song. And playing something from the new album when you're getting inducted into the hall of fame would just look like lame publicity. I think they should choose Pride, it's a definitive song in their career and certainly a U2 classic. The only thing that comes close is Sunday Bloody Sunday, but I doubt that U2 will want to use such a depressing song at such a postive event.

Well when you've been going at it for 25 years and 11 albums (in March 2005), you've got a lot of ground to cover. If you were to break it down in eras:

U2 will play something from 80-86
New Years Day, SBS, Pride, with a possibility of Bad
I think Pride is really their most mainstream track from this era, it was their first top 40 hit in the US, it's been a staple for them live for years, I think they will play it over the others.

U2 will also play something from that 87-93 era
One, Streets, With or Without You
I think they go with Streets, it's universally accepted by most fans as their benchmark live song, it's the song that will never leave the setlist.

Those two, IMO are definite.
After that, you'd figure they might play a ballad One/WOWY
And they might play another uptempo rock song NYD/SBS/BD

I can't see them being able to summarize their career in 3 songs, on second thought, I don't know how they would not play One.

So that's my ballot: Pride/One/Streets in order, induction by Stipe.
:)

That's what I think they will do, if it were up to me it would be Until the End of the World/Bad/Streets induction by Brian Eno.

Catman said:
Avril Lavigne :drunk:

Couldn't you just imagine a duet between Bono and Avril, singing "Sk8ter Boi" together? :drool:
Avril can pronounce his name Bone-o during the induction! :p

BTW, when I said new album in my other post, I meant Vertigo or whatever.

Who gets to pick the person who will induct U2, or any band for that matter?

Back
Top Bottom