U2's quest for the 'perfect pop song' -- new album talk continued

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And he keeps on saying it... he should really stop telling bands what to do! It's very arrogant to think he can show bands that it's OK to do certain things THAT HAVE ALREADY BEEN DONE.
You twist things far too much around here. He's not TELLING anyone anything. Give it a rest...

If you want to talk about Pearl Jam and Radiohead, they were both massive and did not enjoy it, so they changed their situation (and are still huge, and on the radio - PJ and Radiohead had bigger hits on their last records than U2 did). If he wants to begrudge them, fine, but it's extremely unfair. Expecially Radiohead, because as far as I know Kid A is pretty much the consensus pick for best record of the 00s.

You have radio stations that played something off of King of Limbs???

Shocked...

You should try to relax, no one is begrudging anyone.

Well, I know what you mean when you say that Marvin Gaye wasn't mentioned as a way to say "we want to sound like Marvin Gaye," but it's still telling that Marvin Gaye was his go-to reference for a "we want to have that pop song that's everywhere ... pulse of the city."

I don't think it's too far of a stretch to say that he thinks that's his idea of a very popular song that was everywhere in that moment.

I mean, better he reference that than say ".... like Black Eyed Peas "I Gotta Feeling" that was everywhere a few years ago. That was the pulse of the city, man!"

You twist things far too much around here. He's not TELLING anyone anything. Give it a rest...

You have radio stations that played something off of King of Limbs???

Shocked...

You should try to relax, no one is begrudging anyone.

"I think if anything Bono is trying to prove to other bands that it isn't evil to want to be heard. It isn't evil to write the perfect pop song"

OK, he's not telling anyone anything, he's trying to prove something to them. It's the same thing.

Lotus Flower was huge. I heard it every time I turned on the local commercial modern rock station.

Bothered by what? There's nothing really news-worthy in it (surprise!).

It's not a surprise they're not going to release it if they aren't thrilled with it.

It's not a surprise there's no timeline for it to be finished.

It's definitely not a surprise that they could still "spoil it."

That said, I liked hearing even a vague tidbit about the Danger Mouse stuff.

That they keep reaffirming the notion of potentially calling it quits.

Sounds to me like they're getting ready to soften the blow.

if we could only combine :edge: + :combust:

You mean, like this??

edgefire.gif

I think your inferring a little too much from his reference to Gaye. It doesn't have anything to do with the kind of music they might make.

I am?

Gaye wrote great pop songs that lit up radio.

Bono wants to do the same thing.

What am I reading too much into?

I was telling BVS the HE can make an assumption. I know that you're trying to look for a contradiction, but you're just showing that A) you didn't finish the sentence or B) your reading comprehension isn't very strong.

My reading comprehension is fine. You're argumentative and your writing is poor. Don't get all pissy when someone points out you contradict yourself from post to post. It's poor form and rather childish.

So, back on topic, when Bono says "pop" song, is he thinking

A) Beatles, Kinks, Marvin Gaye

B) One Direction, Lady Gaga

C) all of the above.

Cause one minute you're sure it's only B.

B is the only possible answer.

Then, 2 posts later, it's A, with a slight allowance for B.

Or, is it possible Bono is knowledgeable enough about music, having lived through several different styles of pop, to have a different perspective on pop in general, making C the correct answer?

Hey, look at this:

Broken Bells' Sophomore Disc May Come Before Next Shins Album | Billboard.com

The Shins guy says Danger Mouse is in Dublin, and there will probably be another Broken Bells album! :hyper: That's all good to hear.

Now you can all go back to arguing about pointless crap.

Will it have "pop" songs on it? Will they be "Marvin Gaye" pop songs? or "One Direction" pop songs? Or will they simply be pop songs? Like all the other pop songs Broken Bells made?

Haven't been here in a while. Nice to see that nothing's changed. BVS is still doing pro bono legal work for U2. HAHA pro bono get it?? Hollow Island is still searching for a friend. And i'm just probably more bored than the last time i visited.

Anyway, here's a fine idea for U2. Release an EP. 5 to 6 songs. From the Danger Mouse sessions. Or how about they release a new single (or whatever the closest thing to a single is these days) every couple months. Anything that doesn't have 11 songs would be perfect.

my prediction: They won't do any of that.

That is good news all around, though I find it a little funny that our best method for hearing news about U2 is from reports about other bands with whom their paths cross.

Back
Top Bottom