U2's Pop Apology

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

axanorth

Babyface
I just went back and listened to the new mixes of the 3 Pop songs on Best Of 90-2000. Now obviously we've all read that U2 felt they could've improved on the songs off of Pop, especially production wise, and this seems apparent since the only songs off of POP on best of are 'new mixes.'

So my question is this: does anyone out there think these new mixes are better, because I do not. I'm not just speaking as a longtime fan of the band, but I also produce records and write/record/mix music and I just don't think these new mixes are very good. That doesn't make my opinion more worthy, just a different perspective. At first I wondered if perhaps I was just so used to the Pop versions, but I realized that if I hear a new style of a song at a U2 show, sometimes I like it better than the original right away.

So my beef is that it seems that U2 go around apologizing for POP all the time and that they have tried to make these new mixes to correct their 'mistakes' - I for one, however, feel angered by what I feel is backing out on a brave experimentation just because it wasn't as huge as other things they have done.

Anyone else feel this way? It's probably the only time I've ever had an adverse reaction to something they've said/did.

Making of all those s**t "new mixes" has been and probably will be the worst bulls**t and mistake they´ve ever done :censored: :mad: :angry: :rant: :down: Still today I really hate those "new mixes". They are just stupid attempt a mainstream radio-friendly consumers. They just killed Discotheque, Staring At The Sun, Gone and Numb in trying to make it more conventional songs :banghead:

Duuuuuuuude... this topic has been SO discussed to death here, it's not even funny. I completely agree with you. But expect to get flamed left and right. I think I'll stay out of this fight for once... or at least try to. :wink:

With the exception of Gone, whose remix I do slightly prefer to the original, I can't say I find the new versions better.

What I don't understand is all these claims about how the new versions are more tame and "mainstream". If you ask me Gone and Staring at the Sun were pretty conventional songs to begin with and the new Numb and Discotheque don't sound any more "mainstream" to me. But then I think that in general POP and Zooropa aren't anywhere as boldly experimental as many people claim they are.

Last edited:
I don't hate the remixes, but see them as pointless and prefer listening to the album versions.

I adore the new mix of "Gone" and "Numb". The new mix of "Numb" pushes Larry's and Bono's vocals a bit more, while we can still here Edge. I really love it. "Gone" sounds like it does in concert - which is better than on "Pop".

As for "Discotheque"... I've always liked the song (even if not the "bubblegum" line - although I understood it and have defended it in the past, I'm not a fan of it) and felt it rocks. However, this remix seems to have taken some sparkle out of it - the song seems less "urgent". So, no, I don't like it.

"Staring at the Sun" now seems to go on too long. I agree with Larry that the song needs some tweaking to have been a huge break-out hit (and mind you, it did very well anyway), but the tweaking done on the "Best Of" wasn't quite it. It's not bad - I like the "Bonolese" at the end, but it's still not quite there.

Still, these are fun remixes and liven up an album that, barring a few exceptions, contains songs we already have.

My bigger complaint is with the 80's "Best Of" and how "Streets" was chopped and "October" was pretty much ignored. "Gloria" should have definitely made the list - even if one of the R&H songs had to be cut (no offense to B.B. King, but I felt "When Love Comes to Town" could have been left off - or put on the b-sides).

The Remix of Numb is a fuc#ing mess and no doubt. Compared to the original it is fucking awful, it seems when they got round to 2002 and releasing The best of 90's they thought "Jesus Numb hasn't got much guitar init lets fucking ruin it, with a bit of trademark 80's Edge", and so they did. It is goddamn awful on the best of and so is Staring at the sun. I can not believe the absolute bollox they made of that remix as well. What were they thinking??? Both of these were GREAT songs on the albums, just leave the fuck alone! The remixes of Discotheque and Gone were ok, but again these just sound like live versions of a studio song and add absolutely nothing to the great original album versions. 9 times out of ten remixes are shite and are a complete waste of time. Pop's a great album as is, and when released Bono was declaring it as so. But with the passing of time, and the bland road U2 have now gone down, Pop, in U2's opinion, is unfinsished and crap and hasn't enough catchy bollox tunes so they can get in the pop charts and get the little teeny boppers rushing down the shops to buy!:wink:

Last edited:
I agree with doctorwho about the B. B. King track being left off for Gloria.

I don't think the remixes are better or worse. Just different. I can listen to both versions of everything with no problem. Gone is improved though IMO b/c I like the concert version a little bit better with the guitar bits that have been added in.

Zootlesque said:
Duuuuuuuude... this topic has been SO discussed to death here, it's not even funny. I completely agree with you. But expect to get flamed left and right. I think I'll stay out of this fight for once... or at least try to. :wink:
agreed on all fronts. :D

financeguy said:
Maybe we should use :happy: more

i think something is going on below the neck of the :happy: smilie that we aren't meant to know.. :hmm:

and i LOVE :reject:

KhanadaRhodes said:

oh yeah...i think someone once posted the bottom half of this smilie :lmao:

:eyebrow: What would it take to get you to post the bottom half here? Don't let my curiosity kill me.

KhanadaRhodes said:

oh god it was posted at least a year ago, but it was a smilie of someone sucking someone's dick. :ohmy:

:lol: as long as it wasn't 2 guys... then I would've been sorry I asked.

Back
Top Bottom