U2's "Night and Day" opinion and question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MattFromNYC

War Child
we all know its a cover of the original by cole porter, which seemed to be a more happier sounding version... but u2 took it and made it this darker, intense, beautiful masterpiece. ive never heard anything like it before. and its one of my top U2 faves.

i was watching the video with my friend a few days ago and she asked me "do you think perhaps the band/bono are singing it from a different perspective from the original?" then i asked her what she meant, and she said "like getting into the mind of someone in a stalkerish relationship.. but he singing from the stalkers point of view... because it seems too intense and darkish"... so i really never thought about it, but its interesting. has there been anything said regarding this? or even how Porter meant the song to really be?
what do YOU think?

i'd love to read some quoates from U2 about the song.. anything in general...

thanks!

This fellow named Frank Sinatra recorded the song at least three times for three different record labels, and his Columbia and Reprise versions are at least as moody as the U2 version.

The song was written for the play "The Gay Divorcee," so maybe you could find a movie version of that if you want to get into its head.

A great U2 version with their different approach - eerie and obsessive / a spurned stalker. Musically and vocally cut from the same cloth of AB. I think it could have a fit after the betrayal of UTEOTW and before the bitterness of Wild Horses.

Back
Top Bottom