U2's next album will be POP#2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Seconds

The Fly
I was thinking, Since Lanois And Eno probably won't be producing the next album, are any of you afraid (or happy) that maybe the next album will be another "POP" type album?

No. Pop wasn't bad because of who produced it, it was bad because of schedualing conflicts that didn't give them enough time to even finish the songs to how they wanted them.

I want it to be another October!

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

I don't think they would do that again, I have a funny feeling they will come out with something a little bit harder rockin' though
smile.gif

I doubt another Pop # 2.

The next record will probably be hard-rocking, but will also include the slow, beautiful songs that have put U2 where it is today. It's all combination, baby.

I wish...

LL who loves POP

------------------
Get your head out of the mud baby...

All our songs are about God or women, and we often get the two mixed up.--Bono

My strongest trait is curiosity, I'm just lifting stones, you know, opening doors. Looking out windows, around corners, up skirts...--Bono

Nah I don't think it will be another PoP. The boys themselves have backpeddled in defending that album which was disappointing. I don't think there's any chance of it. I'm hoping they are going to take ATYCLB and go further with the rock this time.

Harder and louder

I want it to sound like The Ground Beneath Her Feet. Dark and spacey, but still a clean rock sound.

------------------
Change is the only constant

Originally posted by Foxxern:
I want it to sound like The Ground Beneath Her Feet. Dark and spacey, but still a clean rock sound.

Or Stateless, that would be coolness...I love ATYCLB but I wouldn't mind "darker" one bit.

But I kind of want Bono to rest up his voice.

------------------
Your sun so bright it leaves no shadows, only scars
Carved into stone on the face of earth
The moon is up and over One Tree Hill
We see the sun go down in your eyes

Originally posted by david:

I want it to be another October!

YEAH!

------------------
Your sun so bright it leaves no shadows, only scars
Carved into stone on the face of earth
The moon is up and over One Tree Hill
We see the sun go down in your eyes

Originally posted by Foxxern:

I agree. I must admit I'm not a big ATYCLB fan. My favorite track is TGBHF and it's not even on my North American version of the album.

------------------

My strongest trait is curiosity, I'm just lifting stones, you know, opening doors. Looking out windows, around corners, up skirts...--Bono

Originally posted by scatteroflight:
Or Stateless, that would be coolness...I love ATYCLB but I wouldn't mind "darker" one bit.

But I kind of want Bono to rest up his voice.

UGGGGGHHHHH!

I HATE stateless! Stateless is utter shit(e)! I'm sorry no offense to anyone I just don't like that song. I really am not fond of ANY of MDH except TGBHF. But still, I hope and pray that they leave that sound for the the side-projects. And for everyone else, rock our world like only U2 can.

If they put out a regular release that sounded like that, I'd even be questioning my loyalty.

I don't mean any offense to anyone, thats just my opinion.

Originally posted by z edge:
UGGGGGHHHHH!

I HATE stateless! Stateless is utter shit(e)! I'm sorry no offense to anyone I just don't like that song. I really am not fond of ANY of MDH except TGBHF. But still, I hope and pray that they leave that sound for the the side-projects. And for everyone else, rock our world like only U2 can.

If they put out a regular release that sounded like that, I'd even be questioning my loyalty.

I don't mean any offense to anyone, thats just my opinion.

I love Stateless and the MDH soundtrack! I listen to it more than I listen to ATYCLB. I love U2 in the 90s (AB, POP, Passengers) so I'm really missing the instrumental stuff...
Just my opinion
smile.gif

Originally posted by lady lemonade:
I love Stateless and the MDH soundtrack! I listen to it more than I listen to ATYCLB. I love U2 in the 90s (AB, POP, Passengers) so I'm really missing the instrumental stuff...
Just my opinion
smile.gif

I love AB, PoP, Zooropa, but MDH and Passengers make me ill. Interestingly enough, the only songs I like off of Passengers was Miss Sarajevo (sp?). My big thing with 'stateless' is that it was a major letdown for me because somebody here or elsewhere hyped it up a lot (had the gall to say it was a rocking return for U2) and I rushed to get it only to hear UGGGGGGGHHHHHH
smile.gif

I would agree, I dont think Stateless is all that great. I think that is why it is on the MDH soundtrack and not ATYCLB or saved for the next album. I really only like TGBHF on MDH and I can get that on the Euro ATYCLB.

ladylemonade, you listen to MDH more than ATYCLB??? Wow!? My only hope for you is that you dont listen to MDH all that much either and that it is Achtung Baby and Joshua Tree that see heavy rotation in your stereo or car!
wink.gif
Thats cool I guess that you are into something different but I think you are WAY into the minority on that point of view. I mean, Milla Jovich singing (if you call it that) Satellite of Love over ANYTHING on ATYCLB! Essentially MDH is two U2 songs versus 11 on ATYCLB. I dont care if they were the 2 greatest U2 songs ever (which they clearly are not) it would boil down to 2 fantastic songs to 5 or 6 great songs and 4 or 5 good songs. More U2 is ALWAYS better IMO.

Regarding the point of this thread. There is no way it will be a POP part 2. I dont think it will be a part 2 of any of their albums and if it is it will obviously be a part 2 for ATYCLB. Besides under the theory of this thread it would have to be Flood and Howie B producing also not just Lanois and Eno not being there. As far as I know neither Flood nor Howie B are in the studio.

[This message has been edited by Blue Room (edited 02-25-2002).]

Originally posted by z edge:
I love AB, PoP, Zooropa, but MDH and Passengers make me ill. Interestingly enough, the only songs I like off of Passengers was Miss Sarajevo (sp?). My big thing with 'stateless' is that it was a major letdown for me because somebody here or elsewhere hyped it up a lot (had the gall to say it was a rocking return for U2) and I rushed to get it only to hear UGGGGGGGHHHHHH
smile.gif

Well maybe the reason I like it so much is that I didn't even know they were on the MDH sndtrack until I saw a preview for the movie on pay-per-view and I went "WTF! It's Bono singing one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard!(TGNHF)" I bought the album and really loved it. I love how delicate Falling at Your Feet sounds, how raw Dancing Shoes sound and how dark and mysterious Stateless sounds.
Oh, and I forgot to mention Zooropa in my fave 90s album, how could I! Lemon is one of my all time favorite songs...

------------------

"Oh, and I forgot to mention Zooropa in my fave 90s album, how could I! Lemon is one of my all time favorite songs..."

That explains it then!!!
wink.gif
Probebly my 2nd least favorite U2 album (dont get me wrong, I still like it though).

Originally posted by Blue Room:

ladylemonade, you listen to MDH more than ATYCLB??? Wow!? My only hope for you is that you dont listen to MDH all that much either and that it is Achtung Baby and Joshua Tree that see heavy rotation in your stereo or car!
wink.gif
Thats cool I guess that you are into something different but I think you are WAY into the minority on that point of view. I mean, Milla Jovich singing (if you call it that) Satellite of Love over ANYTHING on ATYCLB! Essentially MDH is two U2 songs versus 11 on ATYCLB. I dont care if they were the 2 greatest U2 songs ever (which they clearly are not) it would boil down to 2 fantastic songs to 5 or 6 great songs and 4 or 5 good songs. More U2 is ALWAYS better IMO.

[This message has been edited by Blue Room (edited 02-25-2002).]

I have to admit I skip over the Milla Jovovich singing
wink.gif
And don't worry, AB is my all time favorite album and JT is not far behind. The reason I don't listen to ATYCLB is that it irritates me because some of the lyrics are weak and the sound is not as intricate and complex as my other favorite U2 albums. I can't stand Stuck (and the video, ugh!) but it got a little better after I saw them performing it live. I think Kite is really touching and beautiful, I love the sound of New York (although the lyrics are kind of weak) and Elevation is a lot of fun to sing along to. But these are the only truly memorable songs for me. I find that ATYCLB lacks a sense of danger and excitement that I've been accustomed to listen to a new U2 album. There's not a song on JT, AB, and POP that I could do without while there's a couple of tracks on ATYCLB that I wouldn't mind not hearing again.

Okay, back to the topic of this thread...

[This message has been edited by lady lemonade (edited 02-25-2002).]

Originally posted by Blue Room:
That explains it then!!!
wink.gif
Probebly my 2nd least favorite U2 album (dont get me wrong, I still like it though). [/B]

Well, it not my favorite album but probably somewhere around #5 or 6, depending on the day
wink.gif

[This message has been edited by lady lemonade (edited 02-25-2002).]

I hope the next album is going to be totally oppersite as ALTYCLB (which is a good album) But sounds to mainstream for my liking and suits the older generation of u2 fans.since they are now in their early 40s i hope they can keep younger fans.

I think they've learned their mistakes with POP and will take proper time to finish off the new stuff. I hope for a healthy mix of slow and hard-rocking songs, with as many yummy guitar bits as possible...

Ok I don't think the next album will be anything like Pop.

Look at their influences, especially over the last year. September 11th (ya they're not American but I know if affected them), Bono becoming a father again, and Bono's dad passing.
I think all of those things will affect the writing for the next album.
I think it'll be more like the Joshua Tree...thought provoking lyrics...but a good mix of fast and slow songs.

PearlJam_U2

Originally posted by scatteroflight:

Yes, I would agree. I love Ground & Stateless & wish they were on ATYCLB. It's a shame so few people (outside this forum) have heard them. Stateless has that ethereal, experimental U2 sound I love so much. I would have rather heard these 2 tunes on the record than POE & Grace. I hope this is a direction they persue, but I think they would need Eno/Lanois to get that MDH sound...

the pattern tends to be a straight foward album (War, Joshua Tree, Actung Baby) followed by something a bit more experimental (Unforgettable Fire, Rattle and Hum, Zooropa). Although one could argue that AB was pretty experimental itself. Another pattern is the cycle of 3 albums (Boy, Oct, War) (UF, JT,RH) that seem to follow a similar musical direction with ao I highly doubt U2 will do an abrupt about face and put out another Pop or Zooropa. Although, If there is anyone that grants wishes outthere (i.e. warlocks, witches, genies, Gods ...) I would love another Zooropa!!!!

Originally posted by Not George Lucas:
I don't think it'll be another anything. I'm especting something new and different, just like they always do. Once they start recycling, it's over.

Hmm.. have to agree with you there. Once U2 starts backtracking and going away from the direction they were headed, it's probably over. We all know U2 wants to be more experimental and change styles with almost every album.

------------------

"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

I don't think U2 will every be as experimental as POP again. I think they will always experiment, but not to such a degree where they will do a 360 on their image, and release a 1st single & video like Discotheque. I love POP, but I remember when I first saw that video, I was like "What the hell is this?" I was just baffled...I thinking that the mainstream rock audience was not going to get it, because as a diehard fan, I was having trouble. You couldn't see from that tune & video why people got into U2 in the 1st place. It was a bold move, but it definitely hurt them at the time, so I don't think they will ever drift that far away again...or at least put across that image. I would be curious to see how POP would have done if they put out Staring At The Sun or LNOE as the 1st single & the image that they presented was closer to ATYCLB. I think POP would be seen in a whole different light. Because in actuality, POP rocks harder in places than ATYCLB, which is a supposed return to rock album.

Back
Top Bottom