U2's Musical Experimentation Discussion! - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2005, 03:45 PM   #46
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:57 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irishteen
Well in Ireland, which should be where U2's fanbase is, out of 35 people, only one said he liked U2(Me).My history teacher was rambling on, like usual then he starts talking about the plane U2, then he asks, Does anyone like U2 the band, I was the only person who said yes, and was slaged about it for the rest of the year. I was locked in a small room almost everyday, and was told I would not be allowed out till I said U2 were the shitest band who ever lived, and say Rap music was the only good type of music. I was in there for sometimes up to a hour, by myself, trying to break down a firedoor, all over liking U2. People even try to burn my Vertigo tour t-shirt when i wear it, so to me U2 aren't that popular.
I really fucking hate the U2 dismissal of some Irish people, it's funny because with my generation (I am 30) most people like them, because we grew up with them. (I am not saying all of my generation are U2 fans, but most would at least like one or two of the albums, if not all of them).

As regards the being locked in a room stuff, did you complain to the school authorities / your parents, there is no reason why you should have to put up with this harassment.

Alternatively just tell me where they live, and we will see what happens next (just kidding).

Old 08-22-2005, 03:46 PM   #47
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:57 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by innocent_eyes
Thanks Finance Guy, your new perspective on ATYCLB made writing this thread worth it!!!! lol!!!

Also, appreciate the well thought-out discussion!

I agree with what you said about Sweetest thing, I never thought of it that way, it makes ALOT of sense. Brilliant observations and interesting to think about!!

Cheers

Old 08-22-2005, 03:56 PM   #48
Refugee

Local Time: 10:57 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy

I really fucking hate the U2 dismissal of some Irish people,
You know, think Ireland isn't alone in that regard. I think that any band from countries other the USA that makes it big internationally is rejected by their own people. It's almost as if they regard these musicians as "abandoning them," or "selling out." For example, I'm Canadian, and I can tell you first hand that a lot of Canadian musicians (or even actors) who have experienced international success are trashed by us, and are often less popular at home. I'm not giving you my actual opinion on some of these musicians, but Bryan Adams, Shania Twain, Nickelback, Celine Dion, Alanis Morrissette, Sum 41, and many others I can't think of off the top of my head are/were not nearly as popular in Canada as they are/were in other countries. We tend to like Canadian artists who are unheard of outside of Canada, bands like Sloan (great band!), Blue Rodeo, The Tragically Hip, Our Lady Peace, etc.