U2's Longevity: Partly Due To Pot Belly Avoidance?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jick

Refugee
U2 have made great music until now that is why they still sell and are still relevant.

But to me, one underrated reason why they haven't graduated to being a dinosaur band is that they still look very good at their age.

Other bands already have pot bellies and look old. Watching Rush in their Rush In Rio dvd, their guitarist and drummer have gained considerably. Saw a TV performance of Eddie Money and he was struggling and looked like an old man. Or even the Eagles in Hell Freezes Over - Don Henley had the pot belly. I also saw a recent cure performance. Or best yet, check out the full BBC Band Aid Documentary - Tony Hadley (Spandau Ballet) and Boy George quickly come to mind among the aging and bloating pop stars.

Other bands don't really get pot bellies but they're too skinny because of too much drugs perhaps or they just prefer to look unhealthy - The Rolling Stones, Aerosmith, and Iggy Pop are the predictable suspects.

Also, since Bono has been wearing sunglasses since 1991 - he has been able to conceal his aging. He still maintains the same "sunglasses look" and it masks from people the more lines and wrinkles in his face. It is also a good thing because Bono got associated with sunglasses and it has been a trademark to make him more recognizable.

The Edge, who has lost his hair since the late eighties has cleverly conceals his baldness with his beanie hats. And since he is quite fit, he still maintains the youthful look.

Clayton and Mullen have always been quite fit and haven't lost any hair. Mullen has even maintained his youthful look for quite sometime.

This is the MTV era. No one just listens to music anymore. There has to be a visual that corresponds with the music. Peple watch music nowadays. If Edge never wore a hat (which will show his age), and Bono did not wear sunglasses (to reveal his wrinkles) or did not tint his hair (to reveal his graying hair) then the younger MTV generation wouldn't care about U2 and quickly dismiss them as a dinosaur band who look old enough to be their daddies. If U2 did not stay fit and drugged themselves to be reed-thin and all wrinkled up, or grew their pot bellies and double-chins -- then they wouldn't be exactly where they're at now.

As crazy as this seems, I believe that one of the secrets to U2's longevity is avoiding the pot belly and looking good. Nowadays, sounding good is not enough for commercial success.

Cheers,

J

After Zooropa, U2 have obviously been pretty conscious of their image. I do think that Adam is starting to look like a grandpa with that grey hair (he should color it for the promo stuff), and I think Larry is really starting to show his years, especially in his face. I noticed during the elevation tour he started to look a little thin in the face. Maybe John Kerry can hook him up with some Botox.

Wonderful thread title. :)

I never thought of U2 as lookers anyway, so how they look really has little effect on me (of course I've never watched more than a few minutes of MTV in a stretch -- and I was a teenager when it began -- so perhaps I'm not the "usual suspect" in this scenario. :D

For once Jick, I don't think you'll get a lot of negative reaction to one of your creative threads. :D

It's true, U2 are older - but for the reasons you mentioned, they don't look it at all. Edge's beanie and goatee worked great in the ZOO TV and Elevation tours and it's working great now. Bono's shades started to make an appearance in the JT era (albeit, a weak appearance) and, as we all know, the shades became famous in the ZOO era. By coloring his hair, wearing cool shades, having a slightly longer, but stylish cut (we just had to endure that awkward phase where it looked silly as it grew out) and being in shape, Bono also gives the illusion of youth. Adam is taking a risk this time appearing grey - but so far it hasn't hurt. Plus, with Bono and Larry more than happy to show skin (and with Larry being even more built now than he was in his youth), it also has helped.

Rock music is about youth and it helps to at least given that illusion (not that I consider the members of U2 old - but tell that to a 17 year old).

Last edited:
This is probably Jick's best thread. I was thinking the same thing and I believe he's right on many accounts.

True.

Nobody in U2 looks anything remotely like the walking skeleton that is Keith Richards and this has probably not only helped them seem younger but also spared them some of the nursing home jokes.

U2 aren't nearly as old as those other guys, though. They have been around awhile, but started out very young. I think they look their ages. Hopefully this thread will be relevant in 10 years time. :eyebrow:

I think, in addition to the hair coloration, Bono has plugs.:eyebrow:

They all do keep themselves in good shape, which helps their image a lot. Seriously, how else does Bono run full speed around the heart during Streets and hit that note with very little shortness of breath. I think that's amazing that he can do that.

I still think the music is what keeps them on top. Pure and simple.

Yes they've kept up their appearance but so has Duran Duran and Bon Jovi. And neither one of those bands have kept their relevance. You compared them to musicians that stopped making good music, um Eddie Money? Come on.

actually, i think they got to the mechanic before staring at a photo machine! :wink: :wink: it's mainly because of their music, which still reaches audience between 15-50, the more heterogeneous audience you got, the best success you take

Do Miss America said:
Yes they've kept up their appearance but so has Duran Duran and Bon Jovi. And neither one of those bands have kept their relevance. You compared them to musicians that stopped making good music, um Eddie Money? Come on.

I am comparing U2 to Eddie Money appearance-wise, not music-wise.

I just downloaded an REO Speedwagon performance from `99, the singer can't sing and he looks old.

Jon Bon Jovi has kept a great appearance but the same cannot be said for the rest of the band who have put on pot bellies and double chins. And Bon Jovi has kept their relevance up to the Crush album which was released in 2000. Not a bad track record at all.

Duran Duran's last relevant work was The Wedding Album, which was in 1993. Still not a bad track record for them considering most of their contemporaries from their era got toast in the late 80s.

I think while U2 sure show their age, their physique isn't skeletal (Keith Richards) or pot bellied. And considering U2 are always intoxicated with Guiness beer, it is such a wonder how they have avoided the pot bellies that are always associated with beer drinkers.

Cheers,

J

babyman said:
actually, i think they got to the mechanic before staring at a photo machine! :wink: :wink: it's mainly because of their music, which still reaches audience between 15-50, the more heterogeneous audience you got, the best success you take

Of course it's mainly because of the music. That's why even my thread title has the word "partly" written all over it.

Face it, a band with good looks and good music will beat a band with bad looks and good music anytime.

But U2's success is still predominantly driven by their music. Appearance stands at a much lower level in the heirarchy of what drives U2, but it still belongs there. I just felt the need to point in out since no one really has I think.

Cheers,

J

beli said:
Are you suggesting they went to the gym before posing in front of the camera?

Im sure you are right

I never suggested what methods they use. It could be anything from gym to diet to surgery to drugs. I don't know what method but that is not the point. The point of this post is that U2 have maintained good looks by concealing their age (Edge's beanie covering his baldness, their sunglasses covering their wrinkles, hair dye to hide the grey haird) and by staying fit (no pot bellies, nor are they skeletal in appearance). And they dress up well too. All these factors have somehow contributed to their continued relvance and longevity in the music business.

Cheers,

J

Larry obviously works out a lot. And really, he's the only member I can imagine taking a trip to the gym every other day. I just cant picture Bono, Edge...and especially not Adam, on the running machine in Lycra, with their sweat bands round their foreheads!:wink:

jick-
i saw eddie money in 1979 for the first time.
let me tell you, even when he was opening up for tom petty in a 3000 count auditorium, eddie money looked old and clumsy way back then.

true story.

my point is either u have stage presence and sexiness or you dont.

having a fitness and diet regiment helps with that presence and i think bono is sporadic w that.

db9

Last edited:
Yes and no.

Yes, music these days has alot to do with image and yes, the MTV/teen audience who buy albums care about that.

But no, I don't think that is what keeps U2 at the top. Remember their core audience from the 80's is older and does not care about looks. (even those who arrived with Achtung Baby are now in their late 20s)

That said, the years started creeping on them, starting with POP. Everyone always says Bono is aging, but they all got wrinkles and lines in their face and got gray hair. Which is NORMAL, they're not 20 year olds anymore.

Bono looks good for his age, save for the beard and long hair.
Edge looks good, but there have been pictures of him in 2002 without the hat and showing the gray hair.
Adam IMO did very good looks-wise starting with POP, up until then he looked the oldest by far.
Starting with POP, he looks the same age like the others and grey hair does not hurt him - as doesn't losing the glasses.
Larry is, well, Larry. The one that can hide 10 years easily.

As for working out, obviously Larry does and Bono swims, and boxes in the punch bag. I don't know about the others.

I agree with you Jick,, Especially because you write PARTLY :wink:

Never really thought of this before,,

U2girl said:
But no, I don't think that is what keeps U2 at the top. Remember their core audience from the 80's is older and does not care about looks. (even those who arrived with Achtung Baby are now in their late 20s)

I never said it is what keeps us on top but that it is a contributing factor.

U2 would never stay on top if they just relied on their older fans. They are on top also because they have tapped newer fans who belong to the MTV generation.

In the end the bottom like is still the music. Pot belly avoidance is just a contributing factor.

Cheers,

J

Jick is ultimate ownage compared to Santa Claus that is, praise be ( New Years Day Playing in the background)

Back
Top Bottom