U2's last great album?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
rjhbonovox said:

Most notably Peace on Earth, Wild Honey (a good b-side), Grace, Stuck In A Moment...

Talking about Wild Honey, its a track that an 80's or 90's U2 would have stuck on a b-side. But having said that, comparing it to some of U2's 80's/90's b-sides and Wild Honey doesn't even compare to previous b-sides. I'm thinking of Spanish Eyes, Silver and Gold, A Room at the heartbreak hotel, Dancing Barefoot, Alex Descends...Korova 1, Satellite of Love, Salome, lady with the spinning head....the list goes on....

Pop's their last GREAT album, by the way!

I can't see an 80s or 90s U2 sticking 'Wild Honey' on a b-side because, quite simply, U2 have never written a song like that before the year 2000. It's an effortless sounding Van Morrison/Beatles-esque pop song. Pretty much new territory for the band.

Bono's shades said:
Achtung Baby was their last unquestionably great album, IMHO. Zooropa was near-great.

Am I the only one in here who like Zooropa more than Achtung Baby?

:reject:

ponkine said:

No. But we all know about my unorthodox views already. :wink:

ponkine said:

Yes..................and no.

The question is, would you like to be?

Zooropa is a brilliant concept pop album. It's a surface commentary on a surface culture, a mirror of the plastic and shiny world of the early 90s....and is still as relevant today as it was then.

However, Achtung Baby dives far deeper into the layers of territory between the battle lines of the human heart. The emotion of the album is palpable, and the result is more cathartic. Not to say that Zooropa doesn't acheive similar results in patches. 'The First Time' glides into the light on a piano motif designed for ascension into what can be described as the door behind the all the doors that we open and close at every turn of existence. It's the mirror, the paradox, the reflection of Bono's attempt at throwing away the key that is always with him.

You can say I'm a fan, yes.

Back
Top Bottom