U2's Last Album?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Why do you think that Jick's comment is rubbish? Most of the U2 songs have to grow on you and at first hear they might be disappointing. After all, that guy liked Vertigo and (probably) Miracle Drug.

jick said:
U2 have lived by the motto "two straight crap albums and you're out." They did the crap-POP but they made a comeback with ATYCLB.

Rumor has it that HTDAAB is going to tank. An local record exec who is a huge U2 fan and CLAIMS (unverified claim if you ask me) to have heard the album said words to this effect:

-Edge seems to be trying too hard, as if he wants to make every song have a signature riff and have some funk in it - he doesn't sound like traditional Edge who plays repetitive, economical, and disciplined. He is trying to be a guitar hero through big stadium-type play-along riffs but still no major guitar hero solos (still very few in this album)

-Most songs have guitars that sound like the Boy-War era but are "riffy" a la Mysterious Ways, Hold Me Thrill Me, Desire. But the songs are not purely raw since there are still effects mixed in (he did not specify but I think he meant loops, synths, sequencers, etc).

-The songs sound uncomfortable because while the guitars are early era U2 thereby making one expect a rocker (especially a couple of songs that start out with just the guitar riff), they disappoint when the drums come in because the tempo is slow(tempo is slow ATYCLB live U2) and the vocals sound beat up(Bono's vocals sound older and raspier and thinning).

-There is a slow poignant song that isn't guitar riffy and Bono does crystal clear vocals (a la Grace) and is pehaps one of the most beautiful slow songs of U2 ever. The record exec claims it will give "One" a run for its money. He said that the current state of Bono's voice is tailor-fit for these slower quiet songs, and he is surprised why the album didnt' have more of this types of songs.

-He concluded by predicting that this album will tank because it lacks the "bite" and faster tempo of today's modern rock bands, while the guitars are quite prominent to make this album belong in the mellow rock category.

He did not specify which song titles referred to which otherwise he would be fired. But he did mention Vertigo is a good representation of what the entire album sounds like (kinda like how BD was a good representation of ATYCLB) and not like previous lead-off singles (Numb, Discotheque) which weren't incidcations as to what the album was all about. He said Vertigo is his second favorite track in the album (next to the unnamed slow poignant song).

Well, from all indications it looks like the album will tank. U2 has mentioned "dismantle" in the album title - after an album had the phrase "leave behind". The Vertigo shoot has the band members far away from each other - sort of separated.

So there is a possibility that U2 won't be true to their word that 2 crap albums and you're out. Instead, I feel that this will be U2 last album.

Cheers,

J

Hmm...even though EVERYONE else who heard the album praised it?

I don't think anyone said it has a lot of slow songs. (which in fact the "exec" denies)

I could have sworn Edge himself said only 2 ballads are on the album.

I am almost certain that the slow song the guy liked was "Yahweh."

Afterall, that was supposed to be one of the greatest U2 songs ever, wasn't it?

That is, if the guy's report is true.

Btw, I thought Discotheque was the essence of Pop.

BD may have contained the deeper message of atyclb, but I don't think it really represented what the rest of the album's songs sounded like.

Anyone else thinking the same thing?

I think the live performances of Beautiful Day, Elevation and Kite sounded very similarly and for example Joshua Tree songs were very different.
So I think BD represented the album well.

Wow, Jick's just descended to an all-time low. At least in the past he's just posted about songs he's actually HEARD ...

dsmith2904 said:

When I said The Beatles I meant it in that the band just stopped, people didn't show up to the studio anymore and all that, as opposed to Kiss, The Who, Cher and so forth doing farewell tour after farewell tour and just dragging it out. I don't foresee there being this big build-up and hoopla for the end of U2, I think that one day it will just end.

Of course, I do hope that day is long off.

I can't BELIEVE that you used Kiss, The Who and Cher in the same sentence!!!!

geez....

give The Who and Cher some more credit:wink:

Back
Top Bottom