U2's entire LP discography LIVE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I almost went with that version. It's just...on the album version, after 'and when it's raining, raining hard, that's when the raining, breaks my heart', Bono starts screaming 'RAIN RAIN RAIN IN YOUR HEART RAIN RAIN RAIN etc'. On the 12/26/89 version, that is absent. He just starts humming a different melody at that point. That's why I picked the R&H outtake version.

U2FanPeter said:
What's Acrobat?

A full song played acoustically in a private soundcheck. Not at all comparable to Bono singing some of Heartland over the intro of Streets.

Axver said:

A full song played acoustically in a private soundcheck. Not at all comparable to Bono singing some of Heartland over the intro of Streets.

I actually think a 15-30 second clip of Bono singing some lines from heartland would add to this project. I'm think most u2 fans(me included) have never heard that very rare clip or even known it's even been referenced in a live setting. As it stands fans would continue to erroneously think that U2 are too scared to touch upon some deep album cuts.

My live acrobat version only has Bono singing for about 1 minute before some familiar ZS(1992 live) noises start appearing. Verses and choruses are missing, and thus not a "full song". Wasn't that recording from a public dress rehearsal($5 donations to local charity) or do you have another copy?

Is the WILATW "maxi-snippet" longer than 1 minute? I have not heard that recording, but do remember that there was serious debate as to how that song should listed in the permanent setlist archive.

As a side issue I'm curious which songs from that initial list have missing verses. I know the circulated live versions of So Cruel are all missing a verse, as are many performances of Wake Up Dead man.

u2fp

U2FanPeter said:
My live acrobat version only has Bono singing for about 1 minute before some familiar ZS(1992 live) noises start appearing. Verses and choruses are missing, and thus not a "full song". Wasn't that recording from a public dress rehearsal($5 donations to local charity) or do you have another copy?

I can't speak on what Acrobat's full song qualities are as I haven't listened to it for ages and it's not on my computer right now, but it was not done at the dress rehearsal. The recording comes from a fan outside the venue during a private rehearsal on 6 August 1992. The public rehearsal was on 7 August 1992 and did not feature Acrobat.

As for WILATW, my definition of a snippet is whether it is dependent on another song. WILATW was performed as part of the segue out of Bad; it was not an independent track. In contrast, a number of songs have not been performed with their full lyrics, but have nonetheless been played as separate songs in the set, independent of any other.

Acrobat was played twice during the Hershey soundcheck. One was the one-minute one that was spoken of, where it seems like the song has hardly gotten started before the zoo station intro starts, and the other is a longer version of acrobat. I think most of the verses are included, although the very first one might be absent, and it goes pretty much all the way to where the big guitar solo would be and that's where the zoo station intro starts. I used the longer.

They played it one time and nobody ever heard anything about it again. Not well known enough to put on a list like this, imo.

U2FanPeter said:
Could "We Love You" be added to ATYCLB since it was publically played in Italy in 2001?

u2fp

It was played in Antwerp, Belgium, actually.

Great Project. I was planning on doing this one day myself. I am going to use your songs as a guide, do research on what the best bootleg versions of each song are, and go from there... Thanks for the upload and I plan on using some of your songs for my collection

namkcuR said:
They played it one time and nobody ever heard anything about it again. Not well known enough to put on a list like this, imo.

Including all the attendees, I'd bet more people have heard the live one-off WLY than Mercy.

Axver said:

Is it any shock that I agree wholeheartedly? :wink:

That was is very good, but I actually like one from Austin, TX in 1987 (yes, the JT tour!) more. Bono lets out this wail in the beginning that I really adore and he goes high on both notes ("raining hard" and "in my heart") at the end (whereas he drops the "heart" note in the R&H performances). What makes that LoveTown performance shine is the ending, with tons of great scat singing/improvised lyrics from Bono and oustanding guitar work from the Edge. Still, as great as that ending is, it's not enough to outshine that Austin performance, IMO. :wave:

I have been moving along with my live albums and I was watching U2 Live in Chicago tonight. I think that running to stand still from Vertigo in Chicago might be a better choice then U2 Sydney.....sure it has the human rights speech in it, but the dedication to the troops makes it way better then the version from sydney

Yeah...no. Dedications have nothing to do with performance. The Vertigo 2005 versions of RTSS felt like run-throughs to me.

The ZooTV versions were epic. Transcendent.

i'm not with COBL from Brooklyn Bridge being the best...they were still getting the hang of it, the drumming isn't spectacular like on the tour and B messes up lyrics

Back
Top Bottom