U2's career from now on - which do you think is more likely?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think B is most likely.

We've had the Elevation and Vertigo Tours, which by comparison to Popmart and Zoo, were less creative shows. With the huge success of the Vertigo Tour behind them, I reckon U2 are ready to take the gamble and go LARGE again.

With 10+ albums behind them, I just can't help but think that some of their music creativity will start to dry up. I hope not and I'm glad their next album will be a step in a new direction, but I think a gambling man wouldn't back their best material being ahead of them.

Neither option.

I predict a string of passable, safe albums with enjoyable music, released further and further apart as they head into their late 60s.

U2girl said:

It's funny though: the 80's fans got pissed off in the 90's, the 90's fans are pissed off now, and maybe in the next era the 00's fans will be pissed off.

That's right, everyone fits into a really simplistic box and it's all about decades and sound.

For me The Joshua Tree is the best album of the 20th century, I do not think, that anyone anywhen can make a better one, nor U2, themselves.It is more likely they will have a new great tour, longer, more brilliant than the Lovetown, or Zootv-Zooropa or Vertigo Tours were.:drool:

u2wildhoney said:
For me The Joshua Tree is the best album of the 20th century, I do not think, that anyone anywhen can make a better one, nor U2, themselves.It is more likely they will have a new great tour, longer, more brilliant than the Lovetown, or Zootv-Zooropa or Vertigo Tours were.:drool:
(In my opinion PÉopmart and Elevation were simply good, but not amazingly fantastic tours.)

It would blow to have another big show with predictable sets and staged speeches. I would much prefer a stripped down show with great songs. I think B is most probable though.

old post

u2fan628 said:
I don't know,Windows isn't all that.They need to go into a deeper mindset.The music has been good but it sounds to safe. they have to "Dream it all up again"! Instead of ZooT.V they should do a ZooTube or something along that line.

i predict that in the future some fans will be pissed off, some will be thrilled, some will still be wondering what happened to larry's drums and U2 will still be a bunch off sneaky irish bastards.

p.s. bono will still be talking out his arse.

i don't see either one, not that that's an insult.

ZOOTV was just insane and the greatest ever, so it won't be topped. Especially now in their careers.

They could put out another masterpiece, I still think they have it in them. It just won't top AB or JT, those are two of my favorite albums ever.

So neither, but that's not to say they don't have a lot of good stuff in them.

WITS is amazing!! But then again, I would take it over TTTYATW off Achtung and nothing else.

I would rather U2 release two records in a rather short time span and then tour. I think the cycle is getting routine, and the tours are such money-makers that they stay out forever, which makes the distance between albums even greater. If they get something out in 07 or 08, there won't be another one until at least 10 or 11, which is just crazy.

The next tour has to be something really special (or gimmicky, based on your opinion) and I don't think it would be much different if they hit the road a year or 18 months from now.

tommycharles said:
Honestly? I see "Bomb" being their "Tattoo You." It was a great album, to be sure, but U2 may have reached the end of their relevant rope"

Gosh it's jst like 1985 all over again.

And 1986
And 1989
And 1990
And 1994
And 1995
And 1996
And 1997
And 1998
And 1999

It depends on whether the U2 machine will let them reach past all the complexity to record an album with real passion and soul. You could argue that it's too dangerous for them to attempt it now, because they have this whole structure that depends on their every movement. Any little mistake could bring it all crashing down.

On the other hand, they've never been richer or more diversified so why not take a risk and do something amazing? To answer my own question: because if they fail, you will never have heard anything like the flack they will take.

So (sigh) I guess it's safer to be safe, rather than sorry. But how i wish they could give it a go.

Earnie Shavers said:

Apologies, I'll try again:

Fuck yes, if the next album has more in the vein of Mercy and Window in the Skies, it will be one of THE greatest creative creations of the decade, if not ever. They are just getting better and better forever and ever.

Sarcasm won't help matters. Actually, if they have an album of Mercy's left in them, (let the wet dreams begin) it will be hailed as a masterpiece. At least around these parts, anyway.

IMO, it's going to take an option A to make an option B truly happen (come on, folks...crap album + cool effects does not a groundbreaking tour make), so I'll take option A as more likely.

No spoken words said:
I honestly do not think either will come to pass, but, if I had to bet, would wager that they'll come closer to option B than option A. And, I want to just say that for me, nothing compares to the Joshua Tree Tour. Yes, Zoo TV was amazing and a spectacle and I loved every minute of all the shows I attended on that tour, truly...but, the one JT tour show I saw was just the most amazing 2.5 hours of music I've ever heard. I should post the set list from that show, was incredible.
Can I ask... which JT show did you see? 2.5 hours long.... sounds like an extraordinary one. A lot longer than the 50 odd JT shows I've got on my computer!

Okay...so u2fan628 bumped this old thread just to quote himself?

Please refrain from such pointless activity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom