u2place.com reports the whole band is in Eze - new songs heard?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The leaked beach clips were great!...I used to blast them, to the dismay of other family members...

ntalwar said:
The more expensive book supposedly is higher resolution, plus it has some extra photos. I believe the only company that can legally release musical U2 material is Universal. The book publisher is Harper Collins.

According to the Harper Collins website, the deluxe version has film cels from the Rattle & Hum movie. 500 of the deluxe book will also be autographed, though they don't mention how those will be distributed.

New album, new album, new album! With Treason, Northern Star, and a trim version of Mercy (plus 9 more!).

ntalwar said:
The more expensive book supposedly is higher resolution, plus it has some extra photos. I believe the only company that can legally release musical U2 material is Universal. The book publisher is Harper Collins.

Ah, very true, but deals can be worked out and especially if it is a U2 sanctioned release, music can be released with on in conjunction with the book if Universal and HC agree on royalties.

Not a definite, but a possibility...however the more expensive version is probably just a bigger edition.

Reggie Thee Dog said:

Ah, very true, but deals can be worked out and especially if it is a U2 sanctioned release, music can be released with on in conjunction with the book if Universal and HC agree on royalties.

I'm sure a deal could be worked it, but it would be a dumb business decision. Besides, the distribution channels are different although there is some overlap (e.g. amazon, borders). Basically, the consumer would be paying $30-$50 for a book plus a few songs as opposed a few dollars for the songs on iTunes. Not only would the music not sell well, it would be pirated rapidly as many people would balk at the high price for a few songs and a book they may not care for.

Who with are they working? :hmm:

Who with are they going to work? Eno, Lanois, Lillywhite again? :eyebrow:

Are they working on 4 man band songs? :hmm:

I'm afraid they're playing songs as All Because Of You and the likes :shrug: in other words, nothing new. So far I strongly believe they're bringing back ATYCLB and HTDAAB outtakes, unfinished songs from the period, etc

Making an album in a beach it's not the best idea, I think. Also a truly great album is composed when something unexpected suddenly happen to the band or the artist. For example, the worlwide bashing in 1989 leaded the band to take a dramatic turn. A good deal of Joshua Tree was composed because Bono's travelling to Africa and Central America. Now he can't write the same quality songs because he's used to travel to third world countries, do you know what I mean? :heart:

U2 have not suffered something shocking, devastating, etc (except for Edge, maybe).

Remember Ok Computer was composed and performed in a s*** house with cold water to take a shower, without any comfort, etc, etc ;)

What If Radiohead were recorded Ok Computer on a Beach?:lol:
Thom Yorke with sunglasses, the band resting on the sand, tanned ... :laugh:

ponkine said:
Who with are they working? :hmm:

Who with are they going to work? Eno, Lanois, Lillywhite again? :eyebrow:

Are they working on 4 man band songs? :hmm:

I'm afraid they're playing songs as All Because Of You and the likes :shrug: in other words, nothing new. So far I strongly believe they're bringing back ATYCLB and HTDAAB outtakes, unfinished songs from the period, etc

Making an album in a beach it's not the best idea, I think. Also a truly great album is composed when something unexpected suddenly happen to the band or the artist. For example, the worlwide bashing in 1989 leaded the band to take a dramatic turn. A good deal of Joshua Tree was composed because Bono's travelling to Africa and Central America. Now he can't write the same quality songs because he's used to travel to third world countries, do you know what I mean? :heart:

U2 have not suffered something shocking, devastating, etc (except for Edge, maybe).

Remember Ok Computer was composed and performed in a s*** house with cold water to take a shower, without any comfort, etc, etc ;)

What If Radiohead were recorded Ok Computer on a Beach?:lol:
Thom Yorke with sunglasses, the band resting on the sand, tanned ... :laugh:

(Yes I've stated this before but it's suits perfectly with this quote:)

Let me say this: One can hear U2 are now arrived stars. There was always something special about U2 and they should guard that more.
There’s not much guts on HTDAAB, they play it safe. One can really hear: once we have some spare time (apart from saving Africa, shaking hands with politicians, buying large beach-houses, showing up at celeb-friends parties) we’ll write some songs for an album again. So they did not 100 % succeed IMO.

They succeeded on Achtung Baby! Here on this album there was no clear goal so all options were open. They hung around as a band. They fought with each other as a band. They talked as a band. And they were struggling as a band to find unknown territory. And they got there! Not to talk about Zooropa! Fantastic! Even POP! U2 very daring and pushing themselves. Even if you don’t like this period. One had no clue what they would come up with while waiting for this albums to be released. Afterwards these songs have the lasting power!

Nowadays with the ATYCLB/HTDAAB-album (era) you already know what to expect. Matured housefathers who have everything figured out in life and musically. And they are falling back on the old U2 sound but too mediocre and middle-of-the-road IMO.

Bono's shades said:
I agree with Ponkine. Enough with the recording in a sunny beach setting! I wish the band would go back to rainy, misty Dublin to record.

They will, when the new studio is finished. :|

Anyway, I'm really getting friggin tired of the U2 bashing going on here. Is positivity dead? Does U2 really suck that much? Why are you even here?

I don't mind people having opinions, but for the sake of those who want peace, we don't need your negative trail in every damn thread.

This record will be great, as Bomb and (to some extent) ATYCLB was. There's no need to switch what they're doing when their material is so consistenly strong. I really wouldn't have minded a bit if the 90's sound was still prevalent today, and I wouldn't mind all that much if their sound never changed again. Despite what some of you might think, U2 isn't Rocky. They're not a bunch of washed-up stars that need to gain back their inspiration. They have it, and they're knocking out the competition, just maybe not in the way you'd like them to.

Thank you.

onyourkneesboy said:

Nowadays with the ATYCLB/HTDAAB-album (era) you already know what to expect. Matured housefathers who have everything figured out in life and musically. And they are falling back on the old U2 sound but too mediocre and middle-of-the-road IMO.
Come on, don't be so negative, they made 2 albums with an recognizable sound and suddenly people starting to shout that U2 is predictable and making only average material for future albums and recordings.

I think it's bullshit, U2 will never disappoint their fans like that, they're smart enough to pull the plug out theirselves when things like that will happen. I still have a strong belief that U2 will and can surprise the world again with a new musical direction and/or another great album, if they don't do it they will see it happen and stop the whole thing.

U2 are around for so many years, they know what to do and we as fans must believe in them. Just wait and then kill or praise them.

Well, as long as they dont turn into Mana (latin band) that band is one stringed, there all great, they just play it safe, and that what i think u2 are doing, dont get me wrong i love ATYCLB and HTDAAB, i just dont hear that spark that i got from every other album, a spark of evolution, of a band playing with music, finding out there limits.

After the explosion that was POP (je:wink:) the band needed to get everyone to, well forget about it, and thats the whole back to basics fase, listening to what inspired them, and ATYCLB was a good album, a diferent sound t u2, sure it was like everything else out there, but u2 hadnt played it safe, so it was new for them, for some reason i saw it as u2 singing straight from the heart, not trying to be anything but straight and to the point, tahts why a lot of people dont like the lyrics so much.

The mainstreem loved it, u2 was back, even if they never left, they got the attention of everyone, they were back on top, they toled everyone they were invinseble, not to many bands can keep going after POP, but u2 did, now was the time to wow everyone with an tiemless album in the vein of The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby.

What was the next step? HTDAAB, more of an extention f ATYCLB than a master evolution, it was considered better by many, timeless by very few, "punk rock from venus" was promised, but wasnt delivered, the "hand of god" were revelaed :)wink: ), and some people lost respect for the band (note: "some people"), and now u2 is tought of as the biggest rock band in the world, and they deserve it, but now, two paths are in front of them, continue the formula and risk overkill, or really ush themselves like they used to.

*(shall we say)disclaimer: this could be seen trough many eyes, maybe they are pushing themselves like always, but, this is whats coming out, and its not bad, it just isnt timeless, it isnt interesting (IMO), and of course, this is most probably the same effect that achtung had on some 80s fans, the change (or lack of) has turned off some people to the point of not caring, but anyway, u2, the ball is (as always) in your court, wow us.

:blahblah: rant over:blahblah:

All I know is that in my lifetime I've never witnessed a big U2 evolution and that is one thing I'd be soooo so happy to experience at least once.

Back
Top Bottom