U2News.com: U2 FANS STIR WITH UNCERTAINTY

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elvis

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
I've decided to speak my mind, what a shock
smile.gif

As posted on: http://u2news.com/article-2002.03.12-u2.html

U2 FANS STIR WITH UNCERTAINTY
March 12, 2002

U2's official magazine for fans, Propaganda, has stopped taking new subscribers at the request of the band. This has been reported via email by someone that works at the magazine during the same week that a rumoured European summer tour has been cancelled, although it appears that U2Propaganda.com removed subscription information and services on February 18th. Venues in Europe confirmed the cancellations, and stated that no reason for cancellations had been given. U2.com posted a shady statement out of the blue on Monday, March 11th, "Stories have been swirling round the net for some time about possible dates in 2002 but contrary to current rumours there'll be no U2 dates this summer." but failed to recognize even that The Edge and Bono have recently commented on the summer's tour, as well as comments from Willie Williams (the tour designer). U2's Principle Management has offered no insight into why things have suddenly come to a halt, sending many fans into a wild stir of rumours and panic. Several rumour theories currently exist (and are being reported/discussed at the Interference.com forum) such as the band is breaking up or that there is a fatwa on Bono. NO FACTS are known at this time... it could be as simple as the band isn't ready to tour again, and that Propaganda is just over-subscribed to.

Even if the reasons are mundane and ordinary, some facts would be appreciated.

- Joel Tanner, Interference.com

------------------
-Elvis
http://plot180.net/taol/

dear lord@ fatwa....... *sigh*

I'm gonna light a candle.

------------------
id love adam to perform for me..wearing only cologne and a smile

I initially thought that Prop. has come to a halt because they are obviously not giving their subscribers what they have promised. I have only received one Prop in the last year. I've heard this to be true for many subscribers. I thought that u2.com had dropped Prop. because they are going under so to speak. HOWEVER, I hadn't heard that Willie Williams made that comment. That does worry me more.

Thanks Elvis, as always.
smile.gif

------------------

"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

Originally posted by partygirl:
HOWEVER, I hadn't heard that Willie Williams made that comment.

I think it was in an email to a U2 fan here. I've forgotten who though - I'm really sorry - but I'm sure they can post a direct quote from the email to show exactly what was said.

Originally posted by FizzingWhizzbees:
I think it was in an email to a U2 fan here. I've forgotten who though - I'm really sorry - but I'm sure they can post a direct quote from the email to show exactly what was said.

it was ouizy.

"Having just survived Superbowl, I?ll be back at the helm of the U2 ship in July when we do a round of European stadiums. Rumour has it that this tour will end one day!

W.W "

Originally posted by jezebel:
jeez, you leave the board for a few days and everything goes to hell in a handbasket
eek.gif

good article, Elvis

interferencers demand answers!!!!

Thanks! I also just got word from someone which chatted/talked with a U2 staffer... when pointed to the article, this person replied:

"We have enough credit, plenty in fact to cover cars for the next year. Dont know what the problem is."

No comment on the level of sarcasm. But if you read a lil into this... perhaps it gives a clue that we'll see a tour in '03.

------------------
-Elvis
http://plot180.net/taol/

Willie sent a similiar email to the guys at youtwonet also according to them.
Prop has always been pretty slow, so only receving one copy in a lot of months is nothing all that new.

I honestly don't believe anything nuts is going on because of the way U2 were all behaving at the Grammy's only a week ago. A very happy band in my opinion.

------------------
I am a cowgirl of funk*

I still dont understand all the uproar. U2 announced that they are not going to do a tour they were "thinking" about doing and was always tentative. So what? I think people read into things WAY to much. They didnt want to tour this summer, I think it is as basic as that. That doesnt translate to they are breaking up??? I think we all need to get a grip here. Everything we know and have read about this band says that they will probebly be together for a long time or at least until they are physically unable to do it any longer.

The Propaganda thing means nothing. I have subscribed since 1989 and it has ALWAYS been VERY infrequent. I think I remember going almost 2 years without getting an issue at one point. Really, the content of some of the Prop issues wasnt all that great. The only thing that was always great (at least for me) was the ticket offers. I always appreciated that and it made it worth the subscription alone. We know there will be another issue, Terri with Prop indicated this to me when I had to change my address recently. This may be Prop's last gasp as it really is out of date. U2 can communicate the same information much quicker using U2.com. I think it may have something to do with that.

I think Elvis is reading into the correct thing. I said this on another thread about this subject. I think 2003/2004 could be another huge period in U2's career with a new album and tour.

[This message has been edited by Blue Room (edited 03-12-2002).]

Let's say there was a week for something catastrophic to occur that has now created chasm between the members.

A week. They've been friends for 25 years. With the friends I've had for five years there's nothing that could happen inside a week that would destroy our future together permanently. I think we're being far too extremist.

I?ve just received an e-mail from Propaganda that the new issue is coming out really soon. They are actually doing the final touches right now. So why don?t we just wait and see instead of believing some rumours.

------------------
"The bass player's got it. The bass player's fucking got it." Bono, Boston 6-9-01

Originally posted by AM:
I?ve just received an e-mail from Propaganda that the new issue is coming out really soon. They are actually doing the final touches right now. So why don?t we just wait and see instead of believing some rumours.

I recently heard it will be out in a couple months... I guess in Propaganda that's 'really soon'
wink.gif

AM-I sent a message to propaganda, they said that the new issue would be out in a couple of months(I like your information better)....

Elvis-thanks for sticking your balls out there and saying something.

Originally posted by Mrs.Clayton:
AM-I sent a message to propaganda, they said that the new issue would be out in a couple of months(I like your information better)....

Elvis-thanks for sticking your balls out there and saying something.

**sanitizes the thread...

Yah, those are nice, uhm, tennis balls aren't they?

Really dont think it is up to us anyhow.
If the fellas wanna take a BREAK, SO BE IT.
Who are we as fans of their work to dictate to them what their schdule is to be?
These are not POP STARS.
Thank you.
Diamond

..damn kids and newbie fans anyhow.

Bono-
If you wanna send me another email please do so at----diamondbruno9@aol.com
thanks boss
Diamond
Bruno
Nine

[This message has been edited by Diamond The U2 Patriot (edited 03-12-2002).]

This is all very strange. Ok, here?s a copy of the e-mails I exchanged with Celcilia from their European office yesterday (her answers are in bold):

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 12. mars 2002 16:05
To: 'Antje'
Subject: RE: new issue??

Yes, it is being done as we speak.

CC

Sent: Tuesday, March 12, 2002 3:25 PM
To: 'cecilia coffey'

So you?re actually about to finish the next issue?

antje

Sent: 12. mars 2002 15:17
To: 'Antje'

It's been a year. Hopefully any day now.

CC

Sent: Tuesday, March 12, 2002 3:15 PM
To: 'cecilia@u2propaganda.com'
Subject: new issue??

Hello,

I?m just wondering if you could tell me when the new issue will come out. I
mean, it?s been a while since the last one...

kind regards,
antje

First off, like I said in an earlier thread somewhere, the supposed fatwa against Bono was probably issued some time last year when whoever it was issued one for the head of Jubilee 2000. did you see the pics of Bono and Ali on the streets of NYC last week? did that look like someone who needed a body guard at all times because his life was threatened?

maybe they got in the studio and decided they wanted to stay there for awhile. maybe they got home and realized they wanted to spend more time with the kids. maybe they want to have some extra time to spend on planting new flowers in the garden.

Originally posted by Blue Room:
AM, what is so strange about what she emailed to you? AM I missing something?

the strange thing is that it seem?s like their offices give out different messages.

Europe: we?re about to finish the new issue.

US: no new issue until later on this year.

------------------
"The bass player's got it. The bass player's fucking got it." Bono, Boston 6-9-01

Actually, that is not weird at all. The European's usually get Prop a month or two ahead of N. America. It has always been that way.

The WW email was sent to me.

As a U2 fan I also check youtwo.net and had sent them the same email. It was posted on their site as well as here.

I have to assume the band got busy and decided it was not the right time to tour again.

No one should panic.

While I'm disappointed, I would agree that this is really not that big of a surprise. I didn't think they would tour Europe again without a new album/concept.

A guess: Bono sees a critical moment in his Africa efforts, and wants to devote his time to that for now. That would prevent a quality album or tour from being developed. So they will wait. Supposedly he'll be travelling to Africa in May with at least one Bush administration bigwig.

As for Prop, it is probably much more cost-effective to produce an online magazine than a paper magazine, so I'm not surprised they may be switching formats. Given the logistics (and complaints!) involved with giving fans preferential ticket access, I don't blame them from terminating this benefit if they do. But Prop has always been very fair, so I'm sure they will honor the subscriptions already bought somehow.

I don't know what caused the cancellation, but I do believe it was CANCELLED and they had a good reason for it. Not just because they didn't feel like touring, because I believe that much of the tour was already arranged and the rumors weren't that much rumor at all. Why else would MOJO Concerts (the Dutch concert promotor) already book the Amsterdam ArenA (confirmed!!) on the 19th and 20th of July, and drop the reservation at the same moment u2.com tells us there won't be any tour this summer. They don't make a reservation for a large stadium for nothing!! Also I don't think U2 will just drop a tour they almost completely arranged (just think of all the costs).
I just hope that the reasons for cancelling this tour aren't (too) bad....

------------------
Vorsprung durch Technik

Maybe U2 is em...planning to start up em...ANOTHER fan mag! YEAH! There ya go! That's what it is! And this one will come monthly too! YEAH! That's all it is. And it will even have font that can be read without having to squint and strain!
wink.gif

Back
Top Bottom