u2HD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

V Nura

Refugee
I was thinking what would be really cool is if they recut the footage and may a blu-ray /hd-dvd release of this ( yes I know hd dvd is most likely dead)

U2Fanatic4ever said:
how could they do that if it was shot with digitial 3D cameras?

The thing is I think digital 3D is shot stereoscopically..in that you need double the amout of data (essentially like a left and right channel) So i think you can do it, you just only display the one channel.

again..not a digital 3d camerawork expert. but maybe someone in here has that knowledge.

my bad.. I found an interview with Catherine Owens and she is saying that the possibility of going to dvd/home theaters (as a 3D version only) is indeed down the road..

here is that exerpt:

Will this be distributed into cinemas without the 3D?

No, it’s not going to go to 2D. It’s a 3D project only. That was another decision we made because people were thinking that it if it wasn’t 2D they wouldn’t get to see it. We decide that if we’re going to do 3D it’s going to be completely 3D into the future. U2 is not doing this for profit reasons. They are completely doing this because they want to be on the forefront of what they think is the future of film technology. The film is finance by 3ality and there will be DVD releases which will only be available in 3D so people will need to see it with glasses. Right now everyone can see it on their TV with a converter box using 3D glasses but Samsung is currently putting a 3D chip into their TV’s but I’m not sure what stage that’s at and I’ve seen it in plasma screens in 3D with no glasses. So, they are developing that technology right now. It is going to be unbelievable when it goes into 3D. It’s not going to be too long before it happens and then it can move into the video world.

here's the source: http://www.joblo.com/interview-u2-3d-director

Last edited:
david said:
hey, i didn't steal my 3d glasses when i saw U23D for nothing!

maybe maybe not...the samsung technolgy is supposed to be "Glassesless" from what i understand

It's supposed to be built into their dlp tv's this year but a reviewer at this years CES claimed that all it gave him was nausea ( but in defense of the technology he was playing a video game which is a bit different from a movie)

the interesting thing is if you need two video channels if you have a 1080 Tv..it comes out to roughly more than 2 million pixels and 720p comes out to about 900k pixels or so

( 1280x720 and 1920x1080)

So if you get a blu ray of u2 3d in 1080p if you divide the resolution into a left and right channel you could still get u2 3d in roughly 720p which would be be nice.

I wouldn't bother. Saw it on a smaller screen (ie non-IMAX) last night, and the experience was completely underwhelming. Almost no reason to even be 3D in that format, it's completely different than in a large IMAX theatre. :down:

Back
Top Bottom