U23D - Not in IMAX

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
perrypickwick said:
Think of Jimi Hendrix lighting his guitar on fire in D.A. Pennebaker's Monterey Pop (1968), the National Guard bringing in food and medical aid to the hippie crowd in the split-screen Woodstock (1970), or the crowd-control Hells Angels rampaging at Altamont Speedway in the Maysles brothers' Gimme Shelter (1970). The Last Waltz (1978) with the Band. Stop Making Sense (1984) with Talking Heads. These movies are products of directors who massage epiphany out of spectacle.

Interesting review...can something to too perfect?

I must say though that while I agree with the list of notables, above, most people who hold those films in esteem because of the directors/cinematography also rank more than one clip from Rattle N Hum in there...say what they will about the offstage stuff, there are moments in RnH onstage that are simply spine tingling and to me definitely deserving of honorable mention in that group!

I would also include Bob Marley's uniting of Manley and Seaga onstage and Queen's Live Aid performance in that list also, but not so much for the the ability of the director to as he says 'massage epiphany' - Marley and Mercury managed to acheive epiphany all on their own at those shows :up: :rockon:

I must say though that while I agree with the list of notables, above, most people who hold those films in esteem because of the directors/cinematography also rank more than one clip from Rattle N Hum in there...say what they will about the offstage stuff, there are moments in RnH onstage that are simply spine tingling and to me definitely deserving of honorable mention in that group!
[/B]

I collect music-DVDs and I saw all these movies mentioned here -
for me Rattle and Hum is just the best music-film ever made.
Most of the offstage stuff is crap - but "Bad", "WOWY"; "Pride", "Running to...", "Gods Country" they are just so beautiful shot - nothing can compare to :pray:

I don't get it why U2 don't get it - watch more TV, guys!

Back
Top Bottom