U23D - Not in IMAX - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2007, 06:31 PM   #41
Acrobat

Local Time: 09:40 AM
Thanks so much for the info Axver! There's one 10 minutes from my house! Can't believe I didn't realise it before! Pity about Melbourne Central though...

Can't wait until this comes out!

Old 07-31-2007, 07:31 PM   #42
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:40 AM
So many great songs they could pick from AND THEY USE SYCMIOYO!

Old 08-01-2007, 02:51 AM   #43
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26
So many great songs they could pick from AND THEY USE SYCMIOYO!
I also think the choice of songs isn't very good by now - I just hate Miss Sarajewo. And "Bullet the Blue Sky" and "Love and Peace" really weren't highlights for me during the tour. Also SYCMIOYO -
but the the version for Cannes was only a hour. The final version is going to be 90 minutes - so I hope that they include Pride, Streets, New Years Day - they all looked great in the video the argentinian tv crew shot - so I guess they should also look great with the others cams.

-
question: it said I have a private message - but I can't read it. - I'm not a premium member. So haven't I found the right link - or can I just not read it because I am a "normal" member?
Old 08-01-2007, 10:33 AM   #44
Acrobat

q
Old 08-01-2007, 10:38 AM   #45
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 07:40 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

I'll be going to the one at the Jam Factory. The other four are in Northland Shopping Centre, Knox Shopping Centre (Wantima South), Westfield Cheltenham, and Sunshine Marketplace.

I'm kind of pissed Melbourne Central doesn't have this as that's the nearest cinema to me, but at least the Jam Factory's easily accessible by tram.
I'm just surprised there isn't one in the city proper... There's that IMAX place near the Exhibition Building, I think, and I'd've thought that'd be the ideal place for it.

Or, as you said, Melbourne Central, although that place has sooo many international students and tourists that I shudder to walk through it every morning to uni (coming from a first-gen asian australian, it's pretty rich, I know, but meh)
Old 08-01-2007, 11:22 AM   #46
Acrobat

Local Time: 10:40 AM
Damn it!! I only just moved from Sydney to Auckland... I'm such a loser!!
Old 08-01-2007, 01:46 PM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:40 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by perrypickwick

I also think the choice of songs isn't very good by now - I just hate Miss Sarajewo. And "Bullet the Blue Sky" and "Love and Peace" really weren't highlights for me during the tour. Also SYCMIOYO -
but the the version for Cannes was only a hour. The final version is going to be 90 minutes - so I hope that they include Pride, Streets, New Years Day - they all looked great in the video the argentinian tv crew shot - so I guess they should also look great with the others cams.

-
question: it said I have a private message - but I can't read it. - I'm not a premium member. So haven't I found the right link - or can I just not read it because I am a "normal" member?
You can't read it as a normal member.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:56 PM   #48
Ghost of Love

woohoo one theatre a short bike ride from me, one 15 minutes from me and 2 30 minutes from me!

can't wait!!!

http://home.cogeco.ca/~october/images/sheeep.jpg

Don't push this button:

I'm serious, don't!

Old 08-03-2007, 01:15 AM   #49
Acrobat

@danke vincent vega

I just found another source (31.7.) that say "autumn" - would be great

"Audiences will be able to reach out and touch Bono's hand in "U2 3D," an IMAX 3-D chronicle of the band's Vertigo tour of Latin America. A 56-minute preview of the 80-minute film was shown to great acclaim at the past Cannes Film Festival. Culled from seven different concerts in early 2006 by directors Catherine Owen and Mark Pellington, "U2 3D" will feature 15 songs. A firm autumn release date is pending."

http://www.newsday.com/entertainment...7957885.column
Old 08-03-2007, 10:45 AM   #50
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 05:40 AM
Quote:
an IMAX 3-D chronicle of the band's Vertigo tour of Latin America.
The "IMAX" portion is inaccurate however, as they don't have rights to it (initially at least). IMAX did not have reps at the screening in Cannes, whereas Real D did. They are actually competitors.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:26 PM   #51
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by ntalwar

The "IMAX" portion is inaccurate however, as they don't have rights to it (initially at least). IMAX did not have reps at the screening in Cannes, whereas Real D did. They are actually competitors.
We just don't know that. Perhaps the contracts have allready been signed. You just can't build up a IMAX screen in Cannes, or at the event (was it the showest - I forgot) were SBS and the Trailer was shown. At those events IMAX isn`t in a competition with RealD.
One thing is for sure: form a technical point o view: you can show the film on both formats - if both corporations will show it is another question.

By the way:
Last year (also in august) Bono and his elevation partners were interested in buying IMAX - the didn't (as far as I know)
Old 08-03-2007, 02:31 PM   #52
Acrobat

Local Time: 02:40 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Allegra

Again...

Go to this link and on the right side of the screen click onto "Find a Theater".....

http://www.reald.com/

And Celticfc, how are you doing? Long time no see!
nice one its going to be in Temecula.

Im not too bad hows yirself?
Old 08-03-2007, 03:21 PM   #53
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

You just can't build up a IMAX screen in Cannes, or at the event (was it the showest - I forgot) were SBS and the Trailer was shown. At those events IMAX isn`t in a competition with RealD.
One thing is for sure: form a technical point o view: you can show the film on both formats - if both corporations will show it is another question.
Real D actually installed a silver screen in Cannes for the screening, and their CEO was there. It can probably be shown on both projection systems, but I haven't seen any quotes or mention by IMAX.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:22 PM   #54
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

You just can't build up a IMAX screen in Cannes, or at the event (was it the showest - I forgot) were SBS and the Trailer was shown. At those events IMAX isn`t in a competition with RealD.
Real D actually installed a silver screen in Cannes for the screening, and their CEO was there. It can probably be shown on both projection systems, but I haven't seen any quotes or mention from IMAX.
Old 08-03-2007, 06:34 PM   #55
Refugee

Location: The stars at night are big and bright *clap, clap, clap, clap*
Quote:
Originally posted by Celticfc

nice one its going to be in Temecula.

Im not too bad hows yirself?
That's good the see that you have one near by.

I'm doing great. Go see my boy in my journal
Old 08-03-2007, 06:39 PM   #56
ONE
love, blood, life

theres one like two mins from my house
Old 08-03-2007, 11:19 PM   #57
Acrobat

that sounds cool http://www.esquire.com/features/music/u23d0807

Highest Fidelity

U2's new 3-D concert film is near perfect. Which is kind of a shame.

By Stephen Garrett

If the concert film is simply a non-narrative souvenir of a unique live experience, then directors Catherine Owens and Mark Pellington have reached the genre apex with U2 3D. Bono's hand reaches off the movie screen in an eerie technological benediction. The Edge threatens decapitation with his swinging guitar neck. Arenawide shots boast depth of field so realistic that your seat feels like a stadium bleacher. Impeccable close-ups offer intimacy usually reserved for VIP rock journalists and corporate sponsors. It's a mesmerizing, masterful film of musical performance. Is it worth watching? Absolutely. But is it worth remembering?

Think of Jimi Hendrix lighting his guitar on fire in D.A. Pennebaker's Monterey Pop (1968), the National Guard bringing in food and medical aid to the hippie crowd in the split-screen Woodstock (1970), or the crowd-control Hells Angels rampaging at Altamont Speedway in the Maysles brothers' Gimme Shelter (1970). The Last Waltz (1978) with the Band. Stop Making Sense (1984) with Talking Heads. These movies are products of directors who massage epiphany out of spectacle.

Fashion photographer Bert Stern virtually invented the concert film in 1960 with Jazz on a Summer's Day, a time capsule of the 1958 Newport Jazz Festival that immortalizes Anita O'Day, Louis Armstrong, Mahalia Jackson, and others using voluptuous, impressionistic camera work. He swaddled his reportage in a style that not only reflects the music but also downright illuminates it. U2 3D does the same thing (if briefly) during "The Fly," when swarms of platitudes scissor their way throughout the image, conflating JumboTron wizardry with the band's raw energy and creating a uniquely cinematic sequence.

Moments like that upgrade U2 3D from perfect to transcendent. Here's hoping the inevitable U2 3D: 2 has more of them.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:50 PM   #58
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:40 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by akann
Damn it!! I only just moved from Sydney to Auckland... I'm such a loser!!
Join our road trip!
Old 08-03-2007, 11:58 PM   #59
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:40 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by coolian2

Join our road trip!

We'll supply the paddles- you bring the popcorn
Old 08-04-2007, 12:17 AM   #60
Rock n' Roll Doggie

There's a 3D theater near me. I can't wait to see this. I wonder how many times I'll go see it.