u218 observation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gman

New Yorker
This just struck me today (as I dont own the cd) but.....why did the band feel it nesescary to take 8 of the songs on the u218 cd from the last 2 albums or later, leaving only 11 songs to chronicle the other 9 albums? Answers on a postcard please :wink:

:shrug: I guess taking the 18 biggest/most played single songs meant having a lot from the last two albums.

Take out S. Thing, Elevation and one more ATYCLB song and add in Gloria, I will follow and Discotheque.

Also..while I am at it..............the version of U218 with the "Bonus Disc" costs a lot more....so can someone explain where the bonus is in that?
It is apparent you are paying for the "Bonus disc"!

Yeah....I know what the "bonus" is..........its more to do with my definition of bonus. To me...........it is something extra you recieve at no additional cost.

I've always felt the abundance of ATYCLB and HTDAAB songs hindered sales and served no useful purpose. A greatest hits compilation such as this is targeted at casual listeners to introduce them to U2, right? Well, there's a damn good chance that if they own anything, it's going to be one of the latest albums! It seemed every person and their dog bought ATYCLB and HTDAAB. So instead of getting the classic hits they remember from radio, like AIWIY and EBTTRT, they're getting songs they already have. Stupid.

But everything about the compilation is a complete waste of time, so I'm hardly surprised that they fucked up the track selection. U218 doesn't even seem to know what it is. Is it a best of? Evidently not to the band, as it doesn't include a number of songs we've all heard them say they think are best. Is it a greatest hits? Well, no, because a greatest hits would never have Walk On in place of EBTTRT. Worst. Compilation. Ever.

Yeah....I know what the "bonus" is..........its more to do with my definition of bonus. To me...........it is something extra you recieve at no additional cost.

Well, who would buy the single disc if there was a version with the same price and an extra DVD? I don't see how that doesn't make sense... how much is the price difference?

Over here, you can get the ordinary disc for £8.95 and with the so called "Bonus Disc" it will cost £16.99, (thats a difference of almost $19 Aus or $16 US)
The point I am making is, it can hardly be classed as a "Bonus Disc" if your paying almost twice as much to have it.

Last edited:
Axver said:
I've always felt the abundance of ATYCLB and HTDAAB songs hindered sales and served no useful purpose. A greatest hits compilation such as this is targeted at casual listeners to introduce them to U2, right? Well, there's a damn good chance that if they own anything, it's going to be one of the latest albums! It seemed every person and their dog bought ATYCLB and HTDAAB. So instead of getting the classic hits they remember from radio, like AIWIY and EBTTRT, they're getting songs they already have. Stupid.

But everything about the compilation is a complete waste of time, so I'm hardly surprised that they fucked up the track selection. U218 doesn't even seem to know what it is. Is it a best of? Evidently not to the band, as it doesn't include a number of songs we've all heard them say they think are best. Is it a greatest hits? Well, no, because a greatest hits would never have Walk On in place of EBTTRT. Worst. Compilation. Ever.

Spot on pal :up:

I bought it because I felt I needed to own it. Plus the packaging was cool. The DVD thing was kind worth it I suppose...

But the selection and tracklisting is absolutely woeful.

I don't feel it as a compilation either, I only listend to it once. But I bought it because of the Milan DVD. I thought of giving the CD away as a present. I kind of like the packaging with the book. But it's true, selection and most of all setlist aren't great.

Oh, I still remember the uproar on this board when U2:18 was announced. I think we shouldn't go there again.

The whole idea behind U218 has always confused me. Who was it actually aimed at? If it's designed to appeal to new or casual fans then fair enough, but then why produce an identical package with a DVD of a partial concert included, which is bound to encourage the die-hard to part with his/her money? Why not keep the two items completely seperate? Release u218 for the new fans and a Live In Milan DVD of the whole concert for older fans. That way I don't end up with another disc of songs I already have several identical copies of. The whole thing seemed too much of a cash cow for my liking.

But I take your point about paying nearly twice as much for the bonus disc Gman. It didn't really make alot sense did it?

gman said:
Over here, you can get the ordinary disc for £8.95 and with the so called "Bonus Disc" it will cost £16.99, (thats a difference of almost $19 Aus or $16 US)
The point I am making is, it can hardly be classed as a "Bonus Disc" if your paying almost twice as much to have it.

This is all a question of semantics then, would you be happier if they called it something like "Special Edition" rather than "Bonus"?

ETA, on the whole I think it was a pretty lazy thing to do but I still bought it because I have a problem and I can admit that… :wink:

DevilsShoes said:
If it's designed to appeal to new or casual fans then fair enough, but then why produce an identical package with a DVD of a partial concert included, which is bound to encourage the die-hard to part with his/her money? Why not keep the two items completely seperate?

I guess to drive up the numbers on a single product.

U218 is definitely a lame compilation. They should have just waited and put out a Best of 2000-2010.

The "bonus disc" version also includes an expanded book with photos, lyrics, etc, and it comes in a large, hardback-book style package. So it has more than just the extra DVD. I'm not saying that justifies the price, but it helps.

morgan1098 said:
The "bonus disc" version also includes an expanded book with photos, lyrics, etc, and it comes in a large, hardback-book style package.

Problem? The book got the facts wrong. Just another nail in U218's coffin.

DevilsShoes said:
The whole idea behind U218 has always confused me. Who was it actually aimed at? If it's designed to appeal to new or casual fans then fair enough, but then why produce an identical package with a DVD of a partial concert included, which is bound to encourage the die-hard to part with his/her money? Why not keep the two items completely seperate? Release u218 for the new fans and a Live In Milan DVD of the whole concert for older fans. That way I don't end up with another disc of songs I already have several identical copies of. The whole thing seemed too much of a cash cow for my liking.

I agree.

COBL_04 said:
Maybe it was only to fill contractual obligations?? Their contract said they had to release five best-of albums didn't it?

Three.

But if they had to fulfill contractual obligations, they could have done far, far better. Best Of U2 Live? Rest of the Best? A rarities compilation? There are mountains of possibilities.

According to Adam the tracks to be included were chosen by Global airplay and were in no particular order on the CD.

Axver said:

Three.

But if they had to fulfill contractual obligations, they could have done far, far better. Best Of U2 Live? Rest of the Best? A rarities compilation? There are mountains of possibilities.

Oh yes, of course. Would have been far better. But that would have required effort. ;)

rihannsu said:
According to Adam the tracks to be included were chosen by Global airplay and were in no particular order on the CD.

That doesn't stack up. Why Walk On rather than EBTTRT or AIWIY? Both of the latter were far bigger.

COBL_04 said:
Maybe it was only to fill contractual obligations?? ?

:yes: It was. They signed for 3 Best of's with Island. I wish they'd stick with them so we'd get a 2000-2010 Best of.

They could do something different - Best of live (now there's a best of bound to get a reaction), Best of non singles ...
Best of rarities would inevitably include some of the B-sides already seen on the 80's and 90's Best of.

Axver said:

That doesn't stack up. Why Walk On rather than EBTTRT or AIWIY? Both of the latter were far bigger.

Current global airplay not at the time of release airplay.

Which would explain it being heavily weighted toward the two most recent albums.

That still doesn't make sense.

Walk On didn't even make it onto the main US chart. EBTTRT and AIWIY not only charted strongly when they were released, but are still receiving airplay today. Does anybody outside the U2 fan community even remember Walk On? Precious few, I'm sure.

Axver said:

EBTTRT and AIWIY not only charted strongly when they were released, but are still receiving airplay today. Does anybody outside the U2 fan community even remember Walk On? Precious few, I'm sure.

That's a little presumptuous on your part isn't it?

As for AIWIY...I haven't heard it on the radio since 1989.

rihannsu said:

Discotheque was their third biggest hit ever in the US. It went to number 10 on the Billboard 100, if I recall.

I said GLOBAL airplay. It doesn't matter how much something is being played in the US if it isn't playing as well elsewhere. I don't know where they got their figures but Adam said they went by global airplay so unless you can show global airplay figures that dispell this it is no use quoting how well a song did in any one particular country. The US is not the be all and end all of everything. Different countries have different tastes so what is huge in one place barely scratches the surface elsewhere. If someone can provide a summary of global airplay for U2 songs then maybe there would be something to argue about.

Dana

Back
Top Bottom