U218 iTunes Window Rip-Off

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

benh

The Fly
I went onto iTunes this morning to download Window In The Sky, only to find that, surprise surprise, it's not available for individual download.

So if I want that song I have to buy a bunch of songs that I already own dozens of times over, yet again.

Does U2 realise that I already own Where The Streets Have No Name, in various formats and guises, 23 times?

I am getting more and more peeved by their increasingly money-grabbing attitude.

benh said:
I went onto iTunes this morning to download Window In The Sky, only to find that, surprise surprise, it's not available for individual download.

So if I want that song I have to buy a bunch of songs that I already own dozens of times over, yet again.

Does U2 realise that I already own Where The Streets Have No Name, in various formats and guises, 23 times?

I am getting more and more peeved by their increasingly money-grabbing attitude.

I really doubt they have anything to do with that. itunes sets its own prices, once U2 or any band/artist sells them the rights to their songs....

ABSOLUTE BASTARDS! Is there anywhere Window on the SKies can be downloaded by itself? Bloody itunes make even the bonus live tracks downloadable, Grrr!

:mad:

bugo said:
ABSOLUTE BASTARDS! Is there anywhere Window on the SKies can be downloaded by itself? Bloody itunes make even the bonus live tracks downloadable, Grrr!

:mad:

I believe a link was posted her some time ago where once could download the song. Downloading it LEGITIMATELY, on the other hand...

Just download it illegally, it's actually the ethical thing to do in this case. Apple is blatantly ripping off customers by forcing them to pay for things they don't need, and they know it. And what they are doing can technically be classified as theft, so the more ethical way of going about getting the song is illegally downloading it so Apple doesn't steal much more $$ off you.

Now here's the tension...do you buy the UK iTunes version with the live tracks, the US version on CD w/ DVD, both, or neither?

Originally posted by martha

Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase

booo to them. boooo i say.

Harsh.

Actually, Headache was saying "Booo-urns", as in "Burns" or "Mr. Burns". Headached loves "The Simpsons"! :combust:

As for the iTunes download, it's already been stated why one can't download this song individually yet. It'll be released soon as a single - then it'll be available for download. :yes:

But if you're buying the CD, just make your own mp3 next week. This will also end all the complaints about how iTunes mp3's aren't the best quality (not that I can tell the difference).

I don't understand it either -- Fast Cars was not on the US Bomb CD, but you can download it from iTunes. Windows is on U218 but you can't download it.

I ordered the US CD/DVD combo because it was so much cheaper than buying the CD single and then the full CD. I got a notice from Amazon saying that the CD single -- which I had preordered -- had gone up in price from $10.95 to $12.95. I canceled because that made the CD/DVD combo a bargain by comparison.

I suspect all this has something to do with switching labels. Island doesn't want to get "stuck" with too much U2 backlist since they aren't going to spend any more money to promote them. I realize it's all supposed to be one big Universal family (no pun intended) but the advert budgets are set in advance and after his one, Island's advert $$$ for U2 are gone.

Don't be afraid you can't download it from u218.... wait for the single.... the single version is MUCH better!
I just got U218, and am cringing at some parts they changed!
There's additional guitar, that's good... but most of the strings are gone... and the 'I know I hurt you and made you cry' what's my favorite part on the single version, they changed it, and it sounds HORRIBLE! Bono sounds like he's about to puke!

I really liked the in-your-face effect of the single version, sadly it's gone now....

:(

Yet they don't release singles in the US much anymore. I found it on a music blog site anyways.

Now all I need to find is the studio version of Saints and I'll be happy. And yes, I bought the live version for charity off iTunes.

I love U2 but I have no need for all the singles again, nor do I need live versions of songs I already have live versions of. I think I'm just going to get the 18 Videos DVD.

yeah, well the logic is flawed in thinking that waiting for the "SINGLE" on iTunes will be fruitful.

Notice the other "new" song on the compilation "The Saints Are Coming" has also been released as a single. And a CHARITY single, no less. And yet where is the studio version on iTunes besides as an "album only" download with U218?

Nowhere. If you want the studio version, the SINGLE version, the non-live version of The Saints Are Coming in iTunes in the US, you HAVE to buy U218 (International Version) for 9.99 or (Deluxe Version) for 19.99.

So... sorry, but: NO. Waiting for the digital single release is a fruitless and futile endeavor. Window In The Skies, I am betting, will stay an "Album Only" download. Just like its sister song The Saints Are Coming.

For a limited time, I have no doubt they will be album-only (makes commercial sense) but in time, they will probably be available separately. Perhaps after WITS ships as a single.

Back
Top Bottom