U2007: what Universal has to say

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dorian Gray

Refugee
I'm not sure if this should have been combined with the thread about the rolling stone article, but here goes..

Through work I've been trying to get any info I can on the next u2 release, be it a greatest hits package or studio release. I work for a large record chain in a position where I have access to certain industry reps. Today I telephoned our region's representative for Universal Canada and tried to pry out some information from him.

1) He'd heard nothing about a Christmas release for a Greatest Hits album, and he said he'd likely have heard if there was to be one. His release schedule covers until the first week of December, and U2 is not slated for any CD releases. As for the last three weeks of the year, he said there are no major releases planned.

2) Aside from the ZooTV dvd, there are also rumblings of a second U2 dvd release in the future. He said this might be a greatest hits dvd, maybe the best of 1980-1990? He wasnt sure here. I suppose this could also be the Milan show, be he mentioned no plans for its release. Nothing is definite regarding this second dvd release

3) He joked that Universal might release a greatest hits cd as a cash grab if u2 take another four years to release an album.

So there you have it... unless this guy is totally in the dark about such matters. Though he was able to confirm a new JayZ release, so he does have access to this sort of info. I think he could tell I was unsatisfied though, as he said he was meeting with Universal's Island/DefJam honcho next week, and he'd ask him about u2 for me. If anybody knows anything, it'll be that guy.

So, watch this space! Hopefully there'll be more to come.

Thanks for the update!

Kinda funny, but even though your contact could be full of crap for all I know, I still somehow believe you more than that Rolling Stone blurb...:lol: A greatest hits album just doesn't make any sense at all.

Utoo said:
Thanks for the update!

Kinda funny, but even though your contact could be full of crap for all I know, I still somehow believe you more than that Rolling Stone blurb...:lol: A greatest hits album just doesn't make any sense at all.
:yes: Agreed

What would they even put on a greatest hits album right now? They've only had 2 new cd's out since the last one...it doesn't really make sense to make a greatest hits cd of songs from only two albums. Unless they are planning on making a greatest hits cd spanning their entire career so far? :eyebrow:

COBL_04 said:
Personally, I hope that that 'DVD' will be the best of the 80s.

That would be the last thing now I'd like to happen :huh: If you could chose some new concert (Milan), popmart Mexico DVD, Red Rocks DVD or any other older show, would you REALLY prefer to get just a couple of already well known videos instead?

Milan I suppose, but a re-release of Pop or even Red Rocks would be anticlimactic...unless it was the COMPLETE Red Rocks, now that I could get jazzed about.

CTU2fan said:
Milan I suppose, but a re-release of Pop or even Red Rocks would be anticlimactic...unless it was the COMPLETE Red Rocks, now that I could get jazzed about.

A release of popmart mexico in Dvd anti-climatic ? No Way mate , I still wanna know which live release could top it ?

J_NP said:

A release of popmart mexico in Dvd anti-climatic ? No Way mate , I still wanna know which live release could top it ?

Santiago 1998
Sao Paulo 1998
Rotterdam 1997
Dublin 1997
Helsinski 1997
Leeds 1997
Tel Aviv 1997

etc, etc

ANY of these milestones gigs put the lame, tired and overrated Mexico City 1997 onto shame, really :rockon: :bump: :camera: :applaud: :bow:

Have you ever listened to a Pop Mart performance other than Mexico? :hmm:

ponkine said:

Santiago 1998
Sao Paulo 1998
Rotterdam 1997
Dublin 1997
Helsinski 1997
Leeds 1997
Tel Aviv 1997

etc, etc

ANY of these milestones gigs put the lame, tired and overrated Mexico City 1997 onto shame, really :rockon: :bump: :camera: :applaud: :bow:

Have you ever listened to a Pop Mart performance other than Mexico? :hmm:

Well I was actually refering to full live releases , and not only by Popmart

And u find mexico overrated Ponkine , funny , I always though it underrated , I mean check out how the ratings for Sydney are , and for mexico ........

About these perf , to be honest I've only heard 2 or 3 songs off santiago , Sao Paulo yes , but I would be suspect to say anything bout my country's show . Rotterdam yes , Is something I would love to see the whole thing , on dvd . Dublin nope . Helsinki , I got that version of please , probably best i've heard . Tel Aviv not yet , and Leeds I've got in cds I made , quite awesome

Though after I watched the video of mexico and all ..... Don't know I still looking for better versions of like

- NYD , better guitar sounding
- Last Night on Earth
- All I want is you
- Hold Me .....

And Specially One , This one I challenge anyone to come up with a better electric full band version of it

ponkine said:

Helsinski 1997
Leeds 1997
Tel Aviv 1997

etc, etc

These shows are not a possibility anyway, they were not filmed with full production. So how would there even be a possible DVD release? There wouldnt be. At least list shows that were filmed with full production. I agree Santiago 98 and Sao Paolo 98 are two of the best Popmart shows and they were obviously filmed. But this part of your list is pure fiction.

Blue Room said:

These shows are not a possibility anyway, they were not filmed with full production. So how would there even be a possible DVD release? There wouldnt be. At least list shows that were filmed with full production. I agree Santiago 98 and Sao Paolo 98 are two of the best Popmart shows and they were obviously filmed. But this part of your list is pure fiction.

I bet you every Pop Mart show were filmed, same as Zoo TV gigs :drool:

The problem is fan like us don't know about footage existance of some shows. Just remember Slane Castle, before its official release nobody had a Pro Shot DVD bootleg from the gig ;)

Does anyone has, for example, a Pro Shot DVD from Wembley Nights in 1993? ... and how that footage about Sarajevo Satellite Link magically exist? :heart: :yes:

ponkine said:

The problem is fan like us don't know about footage existance of some shows. Just remember Slane Castle, before its official release nobody had a Pro Shot DVD bootleg from the gig ;)

Does anyone has, for example, a Pro Shot DVD from Wembley Nights in 1993? ... and how that footage about Sarajevo Satellite Link magically exist? :heart: :yes:

That's because Bono has the videos stored deep inside his storage room:wink: and for the other pro-shot boolegs, let's just say those videos were hanging around in his kitchen:wink:

ponkine said:

Not to sound rude, but you have no clue what you are talking about. Yes, there is video of just about every show. But its raw footage using the cameras for the screens only. It would not be considered good enough for any kind of official release. DVD production requires better cameras and more of them always for U2 when they are shooting for an official release. Hell, even when they are shooting a broadcast there are more cameras. A standard show does not have enough, sorry.

Slane Castle?? Are you kidding? They had the extra cameras and full production for that show. It was slated as under production by Dreamchaser within a few months of the show for crying out loud. RTE planned to air portions of it regardless eventually.

Wembley Nights?? What are you talking about?? The Sarajevo link was just that. A broadcast FROM Sarajevo to the show. That doesnt mean the show was transmitted there because it wasnt. Again, WOW. Is someone feeding you this BS or are you just making it up on your own?

Last edited:
My uncle works for Dreamworks/Universal and is always with open ears about U2 because he knows how much I love them. Whenever I hear anything I share it here. I promise. :wink:

Forgive me if this has been mentioned before, but if you go to this link and click on the photo of the Edge you can see af video clip from Milan, and in the beginning it says 'Work in progress'

http://www.solotoo.com/showreel.html

Do you guys think, this means we can be sure, it will be released? Would they spend time working on it if they didn't want to release it?

I'd love the Greatest Hits dvd if only to get the bonus video 'One Tree Hill'. It's so beautiful.

And I neeeed PopMart! :drool:

Last edited:
beachball said:
Forgive me if this has been mentioned before, but if you go to this link and click on the photo of the Edge you can see af video clip from Milan, and in the beginning it says 'Work in progress'

http://www.solotoo.com/showreel.html

Do you guys think, this means we can be sure, it will be released?

Sweet! Looks like it! :hyper: There are some great shots in that clip!

Back
Top Bottom