U2 working with pop songwriter for new album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
u2direction.jpg

You asked for differences between their working with Danger Mouse and the pop songwriter.

He is also a producer. The Sun article said they wanted to work with him like they did with William. William didn't get songwriting credits. William got
production credits.

Top 10 what? It's in the top 10 songs on NLOTH, but that's about it. Maybe top 10 u2 songs of the decade. Also, I don't think Will.he.is. had much to do with it. .

In my opinion it's a top 10 U2 song. You may have a different opinion. U2 working with horrid pop writer/producer create top 10 song.

And who said anything about rockism? It's pretty clear that U2 are as un-rockist as a rock band can be. Remember Zooropa and Passengers?.

I never said U2 were rockist. I said some U2 fans were rockist.

Hipness has nothing to do with it, it's the quality of the work..

Quality of work is subjective. In my opinion, it's not good enough to warrant his reputation. Black Keys, Broken Bells, Sparklehorse, & Electric Guest have all been referred to as indie bands. I'd argue most of his reputation as a producer has flourished because of his work with the indies, not Barkley.

Hate to break it to you, but the "rock" world hasn't been like that for 20 years.

I'm talking mostly about the fans. Some of the artists are like that as well, but it's mostly the fans. I don't think it's changed at all.

this is how i see this developing.

Bono: Hey kids.
Bono's Kids: Yes?
Bono: I'm cool, right?
Bono's Kids: No, Dad.

the next day.....

Bono: Hey Edge, I have a brilliant idea on who we should bring into the studio!

I'd no idea U2 fans were so blatantly rockist. How is this any different than recording with Mighty Mouse? pop vs rock? Is that it? really?

This guy's no worse than William or whatever his name is, and NLOTH isn't a Black Eyed Peas record. In fact, I'll give the guy kudos for his work on Breathe, it's a top 10 track.

er dude have you seen the list of "artists" this guy writes for? One Direction mean anything to you?

this is how i see this developing.

Bono: Hey kids.
Bono's Kids: Yes?
Bono: I'm cool, right?
Bono's Kids: No, Dad.

the next day.....

Bono: Hey Edge, I have a brilliant idea on who we should bring into the studio!

But I doubt Bono's kids would think this dude is "cool," so your theory holds very little water with me, sir.

er dude have you seen the list of "artists" this guy writes for? One Direction mean anything to you?

Why would anyone assume this person would be *writing* for U2?

I heard a record review for this band last nite on NPR. It sounded like nice, teen pop music. Not my cup of tea, but I was glad to hear guitars in it. Teenage girls will eat it up.

He is also a producer. The Sun article said they wanted to work with him like they did with William. William didn't get songwriting credits. William got
production credits.

In my opinion it's a top 10 U2 song. You may have a different opinion. U2 working with horrid pop writer/producer create top 10 song.

I never said U2 were rockist. I said some U2 fans were rockist.

Quality of work is subjective. In my opinion, it's not good enough to warrant his reputation. Black Keys, Broken Bells, Sparklehorse, & Electric Guest have all been referred to as indie bands. I'd argue most of his reputation as a producer has flourished because of his work with the indies, not Barkley.

I'm talking mostly about the fans. Some of the artists are like that as well, but it's mostly the fans. I don't think it's changed at all.

I'm not sure how old you are, but I don't know anyone who grew up in the 90s or 00s who doesn't listen to all kinds of music.

Black Keys are one of the biggest bands in the world. I'm not saying that he hasn't worked with indie bands, but he's had massive mainstream success and I think his rep is as good as it is because he works with talented people and makes popular records of artistic merit. Not many people have records with massive popular and critical success, that are well liked my people who are really into music as well as casual listeners.

I think you said that U2 aren't as rockist as some fans think they are, which implies that people think U2 are rockist. I'd have a hard time believing anyone would think that. Their primary collaborator is as un-rock as you can get!

Criticism of this potential decision has nothing to do with any of the points you raise and everything to do with the work this guy has done, and what it says about their mindset.

Maybe it's just for a remix of a song too.

There's no reason to think he's producing U2's next album, and there's even less reason to think he's involved in the song writing. I mean, they didn't even give Eno/Lanois songwriting credits on ATYCLB...you think they're going to let this guy write for them? Come on.

Why is it "embarssing"? just because the names mentioned have produced "pop" acts doesnt mean sod all, it will still be U2, ans where does the rule say that just because your in your 50's your not allowed to have a hit? i bloody hate that unwritten rule i really do

Of course you're allowed to have a hit, but imagine a U2 song like One Direction :lol:

Weller just had a number one record and he's 53 or something...

Teenage girls will eat it up.

they DO! my teenage daughter totally LOVES them lol!!! :D

but that's because they're young pretty boys not much older than her - i somehow doubt her and her friends will be posting piccies of the U2 lads on their FB pages lol!!

also, they're totally a Simon Cowell X-Factor fabrication, contestants who didn't make it thru individually and who were just stuck together to make a manufactured band

btw, i seriously think the press is just having a laugh, i mean, really:

And with One Direction recently becoming the first UK band ever to score a US Number One album with their debut LP, an anonymous source claims that U2 are eager to emulate their success.

:lol:

I'm not sure how old you are, but I don't know anyone who grew up in the 90s or 00s who doesn't listen to all kinds of music.

Black Keys are one of the biggest bands in the world. I'm not saying that he hasn't worked with indie bands, but he's had massive mainstream success and I think his rep is as good as it is because he works with talented people and makes popular records of artistic merit. Not many people have records with massive popular and critical success, that are well liked my people who are really into music as well as casual listeners.

I think you said that U2 aren't as rockist as some fans think they are, which implies that people think U2 are rockist. I'd have a hard time believing anyone would think that. Their primary collaborator is as un-rock as you can get!

Criticism of this potential decision has nothing to do with any of the points you raise and everything to do with the work this guy has done, and what it says about their mindset.

I'm older than dirt and live in the sticks. And I've lived in the big city. There are huge portions of music fans that stick to one thing, whether it be metal, hip-hop, country, etc. It's so limiting and sad. It's like eating only one food, or drinking only 1 kind of ale.

I think U2 are somewhat rockist. The majority of their work relies heavily on the rock formula, but they do their fair share of exploring.

U2 wants a US #1 album? OMG YOU DON'T SAY.

noooooooooooooo that's not the funny bit! the funny bit is the press thinking U2 are somehow desperate to emulate One Direction

ok, i get maybe you guys over the pond don't "appreciate" One Direction as much as us Brits -the joke is lost, so never mind :|

Report: U2 Working with Songwriter Carl Falk

Take a look at the two tweets. It seems this whole rumour is based on these two tweets.

He ran into Edge on a plane and now he's waiting to hear back from Bono.

Do you guys really fall that easy, or am I missing something?

Exactly this!

Wow, I have never been here when there is a dry spell. It is quite amusing, I must say!

Sicy, epic photoshops once again! :lmao:

Well, I get that they're a manufactured boy band from a Simon Cowell show, and the glorious terror that is Simon Cowell is something we understand over here as well. ;)

Interference said:
General over-reaction

:lol:

Let's be honest. Until we hear something, anything, we can't judge what's going to come out of this. The story simply reminded me of two things that people seem to have forgotten:

1. Richard Stannard and Julian Gallagher
Co-producers of 'In A Little While' - brought in to 'pop' the song up, and also songwriters in their own right. Didn't do a bad job either.

2. The Sweetest Thing
I remember when the rumour broke back in 1998 that U2 were working with Boyzone on their new single. See how that turned out (i.e. video appearance and nothing much more)?

1. Richard Stannard and Julian Gallagher
Co-producers of 'In A Little While' - brought in to 'pop' the song up, and also songwriters in their own right. Didn't do a bad job either.

So, basically, the 2 times U2 worked with pop songwriters, the pop songwriters got production credits, not writing credits, and we got:

In A Little While
I Know I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonite
Breathe

What's the problem again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom