U2 will have the last laugh...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
catlhere said:
Right behind "Miami, my mammy" and "baby, baby, baby, light my way"

Not sure the intention is quite the same...

ANYWAY - I don't understand a lot of these arguments, or more to the point just how quickly some people *cough* get pissed off.

It's hard to give a personal opinion on the quality of what they're currently doing. I will say that I think that now more than ever the gap between potential and reality is at it's greatest. Plenty of people adore the stuff they're making now. They could even take 10 steps further in that direction and win over a million new fans. That of course means that it's not bad. As long as they are doing what they are doing well, it's good. Right? If my goal right now is to just throw this empty Coke can sitting next to me across the office and into the bin, and I get it in, my goal is achieved. And if I want to do it left handed, and bounce it off the cupboard next to the bin, and then in without touching the sides from there and I do it, my goal is achieved. Terrible, terrible analogy, but if U2 want to make songs like Elevation, and make them really well, then the goal has been achieved. But if they want to still be the band of Streets and the Fly and Zooropa and New Years Day, or YOU want them to still be the band of Acrobat, Running to Standstill, Desire and Out of Control, then there's a gap there, a big one.

I just hope they stick around long enough to outlast the pressure. Keiren talked about age. People in here do use it in defence of how conservative and middle of the road they are now. Bono himself likes to rabbit on about how someone of his age as an artist or writer in any other field should or would just be hitting their stride now - so no, age/family etc is not an excuse. It may be a reasoning for themes in the music, or may reign in the touring or something, but it means nothing in regards to what is on record. They SHOULD be getting better with age in all areas. Not just tighter, not just a more well oiled machine, but better in every way. There's nothing wrong with returning to old ground or old sounds either - nothing at all - but they should be getting better at it, more creative, more original. Is there anything as mind numbingly dull on the 23yr old Unforgettable Fire as Miracle Drug? There's nothing as tight, or as seamless. Nothing that sounds so effortless. Nothing that sounds like every note is perfectly allotted to it's right space. But there's nothing as forgettable, nothing as robotic and formulaic.

Anyway, I'm losing my point here: Whether or not I like what they are doing, whether or not you do, I know they can continue to knock out this high quality pop-rock stuff for all eternity with little or no effort. But it's a waste of talent, one which really should only be getting better.

Axver said:
Being a verb is so much more exciting than being a noun.

verb, it's what you do!

do the dew

who do i know that is a verb? Sting and Slash are verbs. but The Edge isn't. wuddup widdat?

mike hewson said:

offtopic SUCKS! :madspit:

whoa. whoa. whoa. let's calm down here. seriously. no need to get so excited. it's not that big a deal. I'm pretty sure The Edge is on topic. Last time I checked he was laughing with the rest of U2, who are having the last laugh of anyone, because they alone will survive the apocalypse. Sorry Bellamy, your anthems did nothing to appease the overlords.

We need to make being Axvered a reality TV show. It'll be better than the Jamie Kennedy Experiment, that's for sure. :up:

Ax, you can show up at band's gigs backstage and insult their setlist choices. It's the makings of an instant classic. :wink:

LemonMacPhisto said:
We need to make being Axvered a reality TV show. It'll be better than the Jamie Kennedy Experiment, that's for sure. :up:

Ax, you can show up at band's gigs backstage and insult their setlist choices. It's the makings of an instant classic. :wink:

:lmao:

"Bono, an acoustic encore is a STUPID decision! You need to go out there and make a big impression. Think The Fly."

"... who the fook are you? And where are the flies?"

I wish you would've told him that before my show.

I had the distinction of being at the LAST show with the acoustic encore. Awesome :|

mike hewson said:

I guess you arent a U2 fan? What are u doing here then? :mad:

I forgot that V2 recorded Boy, October, War, The Unforgettable Fire, and The Joshua Tree, so I ended up here.

Axver said:

I forgot that V2 recorded Boy, October, War, The Unforgettable Fire, and The Joshua Tree, so I ended up here.

All that you cant leave behind

and how to dismantle an atomic bomb

are better than all those albums

save joshua tree. they are on par with it.

LemonMacPhisto said:
I wish you would've told him that before my show.

I had the distinction of being at the LAST show with the acoustic encore. Awesome :|

Don't worry, I'll make sure Bono gets Axvered before your next show and you'll get to hear all of The Unforgettable Fire and the world premiere of J. Swallow. :happy:

Mountain Dew Ma said:

can I have whatever you're smoking ? :wink:

Axver said:

Don't worry, I'll make sure Bono gets Axvered before your next show and you'll get to hear all of The Unforgettable Fire and the world premiere of J. Swallow. :happy:

one u2 show

i might actually sit down at

and i have seen my fair share.

Mountain Dew Ma said:

JT is prolly better, but then ATYCLB is better than all the other 80's albums. Boy might be better than HTDAAB but I think I prefer HTDAAB to October, War (terribly unbalanced album), and UF.

Mountain Dew Ma said:

Yeah, who needs beautiful UF-era soundscapes when you can have ATYCLB-era pop fluff?

xaviMF22 said:

can I have whatever you're smoking ? :wink:

you can have some kool - aid.

beautiful day
stuck
elevation (it's better than trip through your wires)
walk on
kite- perfection
in a little while

that is one of u2's strongest "a sides" if you will.

i love wild honey my self.
peace on earth i am not huge on.
when i look at the world-
greatly underrated.

new york is a kick ass rocker live.
grace is a subtle end to the record.

the ground beneath her feet is beautiful.

joshua tree is epic, but atyclb is right there with it.

as is bomb

imo

Mountain Dew Ma said:

one u2 show

i might actually sit down at

and i have seen my fair share.

You can sit down on LemonMelon's seat after he storms out during 4th Of July.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom