"U2 were a lot more fun when they were having Sex....."

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dalton

Blue Crack Addict
Little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
So begins the funniest review of HTDAAB to date. My buddy (who I am pretty sure was piss drunk when he wrote the email) wrote that while Hut Dab is a solid effort (with Vertigo, ABOY, Miracle Drug and COBL being dubbed instant classics) he feels that the boys need to loosen up a bit.

"During Actung Baby you could tell those boys were having a lot of sex and look what happened ----- they wrote their best album and created characters like the Fly and the devil guy....."

Classic.

Have any of your friends made funny comments like this?:lmao: :drunk:

i agree. they need to get back to having really dirty sex with multiple partners.

A friend of mine said, in so many words, that all of Bono's recent lyrics sound like they were written for children's Hallmark greeting cards, and that he missed the old lyrics, where Bono mixed alcohol, sex, drugs, heartbreak, and the bible.

Makes me think they should have included "Mercy" after all!

LyricalDrug said:
A friend of mine said, in so many words, that all of Bono's recent lyrics sound like they were written for children's Hallmark greeting cards, and that he missed the old lyrics, where Bono mixed alcohol, sex, drugs, heartbreak, and the bible.

there are few people who miss bono's old pen more than myself.

LyricalDrug said:

Makes me think they should have included "Mercy" after all!

actually, now I read this, it makes me realise why i've been so disappointed with HTDAAB. Your friend has nailed it on the head.

Love and Peace or Else is sexy, well the music anyway, but the rest of the album isnt particularly. Theres a bit of an abscence of darkness there. Maybe they were all in a good mood.

Dalton said:

They've made a shit load of money the past few years....

LOL. Thats not what I meant. haha.

I was thinking they sound like their comfortable in their own skins which is always a receipe for boredom. Not that this album is boring. hmmmm.

Need. more. words. stop.

Send. more. words. stop.

I'm not saying their newer music is bad in any way, but he is right. Their songs would be much better if they were more edgy.

Everything since Pop has been pretty tame.

Dalton said:

"During Actung Baby you could tell those boys were having a lot of sex and look what happened ----- they wrote their best album and created characters like the Fly and the devil guy....."

This line is funny, but the odd thing is that I'm not sure it's completely true.

Bono's first child was born in the R&H era - so you know he was "getting some" before AB.

Edge had children well before AB, so ditto on the sex front for him. In fact, while AB was being written, it might have been a bit of a "dry spell" for Edge as the guy was going through a divorce.

And I'm sure Adam and Larry were up to their usual sex. ;)

But my point is, I think in terms of sex, the members of U2 were, uh, more active at other times - not during the creation of AB.

Now, as for the tour... well... ;)

As DoctorWho said, Edge was going through a messy separation at the time of recording Achtung Baby. I think lack of sex was more likely a motivational factor in recording that particular album!

even though I like AMAAW, I would love to see more of the darkness from AB, that album is great with it's depressions about love. More "you're dangerous cause you're honest" and a little less "how can i hurt when I'm holding you?" Don't get me wrong, love that line, and AMAAW is a great tune.

shart1780 said:
Everything since Pop has been pretty tame.

I think it was pretty daring of U2 to be so honest and comfortable with themselves that they made ATYCLB and HTDAAB after AB/Zooropa/Pop.

Yeah, Ax is onto something here. This "U2 is too safe" argument just doesn't hold water. If they were writing cheesy loves songs I could see the safe label sticking, but they're still out there laying it all on the line. Vertigo is safe? I guess it is if you consider a killer hook and some ambiguous lyrics safe. It's not like Vertigo is The Wind Beneath My Wings or some Michael Bolton stuff.

I agree that HTDAAB is not anything like Pop or AB, but G-Suz it rocks for the most part and there is no filler...none!

U2 were more fun during ZooTV, which is I think what the person quoted was referring to.

It seems U2 was wasted nearly every night after the show, which only fueled their creativity. Sex, I'm not sure of. Always picutred Bono as pretty faithful to Ali, but I'm not sure about the rest of the band. Regardless, the overload of ZooTV took it's toll on Bono's voice and looks - but what a ride.

I don't necessarily think that HTDAAB is "safe", it just kind of strikes me as "happy." Aside from SYCMIOYO and LAPOE, of course. Not even necessarily happy lyrics (although they do pepper the album), many of the songs just sound "upbeat." I must say, I kind of miss the AB and Zooropa days, when the songs were bleak, musically and lyrically.

financeguy said:
As DoctorWho said, Edge was going through a messy separation at the time of recording Achtung Baby. I think lack of sex was more likely a motivational factor in recording that particular album!

Just a side note, not really relevant. But just because someone is going through "a messy separation" doesnt mean theres a lack of sex. Quite the contrary with some people. I dont know the facts of this particular case, nor am I interested but, ummm, yeah, divorce doesnt mean death. :huh:

by the way When will ZOOTV come out on dvd?

it kicks all their new live dvd its pop, sweet sounding,innocent looks arsssssss!

bring back the leather clothes, the cool shades, long fucking hair,
loud guitar(if no guitar solos) big stage!

bring back rocknroll u2 enough of this bullshit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom