U2 was robbed....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lemonator

The Fly
What's up with "O Brother" winning the album of the year? I can't see why some bluegrass shit beats out mainstream rock and roll. Must of had some rednecks doing the voting.

------------------
"Yep...Silver and Gold!!!" - Bono

We'll Shine Like Stars In The Summer Nights...

Don't be so narrow minded.....
I did'nt like the soundtrack beating ATYCLB, but bluegrass and rednecks don't really have much to do with one another.

Look we should be happy they were nominated in the first place.....just cause they won only 4 doesnt really bother me. I am a little disappointed yet.......but ya know.......its what the result is..........we can be shocked or whatever.....but U2 were still bloody nominated 8 times!!!!!!!!!

so come on be happy for them!!!!!!!

I say congrats to them anyway.!!!

(sorry, Im in a pissy mood........
frown.gif
)

Yeah, U2 winning 4 awards is great! I mean, they had 8 nominations, but two were in the same category...that means they got 4 wins out of a possible 7.

Poor India.Arie...7 nominations, and she didn't win a thing!

------------------
"Hallelujah, Heaven's white rose,
The doors you open...I just can't close..."

That's a good attitude for Edge to have...it's nice to hear.

However...I don't agree with him on the soundtrack...bluegrass isn't exactly my cup of tea...especially considering I also hate tea.
biggrin.gif

------------------

Originally posted by Lemonator:
What's up with "O Brother" winning the album of the year? I can't see why some bluegrass shit beats out mainstream rock and roll. Must of had some rednecks doing the voting.

that's a really ignorant remark

thank goodness U2 has more class than this

What did you think Edge was going to say. "We got screwed"? There is little doubdt that U2 got robbed. U2 knows it as well. But they are going to be gracious about it. To lose to a compilation of covers of bluegrass by different artists is completely ridiculous. I dont care if it is a good album or not. It doesnt deserve to be album of the year, especially over ATYCLB. I think MOST people agree with that and the Grammy polls I have seen so far indicate that as well.

Originally posted by Blue Room:
What did you think Edge was going to say. "We got screwed"? There is little doubdt that U2 got robbed. U2 knows it as well. But they are going to be gracious about it. To lose to a compilation of covers of bluegrass by different artists is completely ridiculous. I dont care if it is a good album or not. It doesnt deserve to be album of the year, especially over ATYCLB. I think MOST people agree with that and the Grammy polls I have seen so far indicate that as well.

It ain't ridiculous and it was a good album. More critically acclaimed then ATYCLB it seemed. I think it wouldn't be to much to think that the Edge thought that album deserved the top honor.

------------------
~ "You can't resist her. She's in your bones. She is your marrow and your ride home. You can't avoid her. She's in the air; in between molecules of oxygen and carbon dioxide." ~ RC

O Brother is a beautiful record. But of course nowhere near what ATYCLB is.

I think the votes were split between Dylan and U2 on this one, and that's how O Brother won. There was one critic who said that was a possibility and looks like he was right. At least I think this was an award Dylan was nominated for?

I also didn't necessarily want to see U2 make a clean sweep. Keeps 'em humble to win a few but not everything.

Flying, you are in a dream world if you think U2 doesnt think they should have won album of the year. Edge was gracious because you dont want to look bitter in the media and they are friends with T Bone Burnett who produced O Brother. That doesnt mean they think it deserved album of the year. I didnt say it was a bad album, I said it is ridiculous that it won over ATYCLB. It did NOT deserve album of the year over ATYCLB and most people would agree with that.

I never knew there were so many crazed bluegrass U2 fans out there. Do you really think O Brother deserved it over ATYCLB??? That is disturbing.

joyfulgirl, I think the Dylan theory is exactly why U2 didnt win. Rock was split between U2 and Dylan. Hip Hop and R and B were split between Outkast and Alicia Keyes. The only group that did not have a split was country music, so that group probebly all voted for O Brother. Its more of a political thing anyway. O Brother was not the best album this year.

I agree that it was still a decent night for U2. But the one award I thought they deserved the most, they did not win. It just shows how warped the Grammy's are.

[This message has been edited by Blue Room (edited 02-28-2002).]

i just don't understand how FOUR of the songs off ATYCLB won grammies, and then the album doesn't win an award. just doesn't add up to me...

but they still had a great night- yeah U2!!!
smile.gif

oh come on everyone. Take a deep breath. It's ok. WE all know that U2 is the best band on the planet...and with seven Grammies for songs from ATYCLB, it would seem that there are others out there who agree with us. btw, you don't have to be a crazed bluegrass fan to appreciate the music from "O Brother Where Art Thou." I personally abhor all country music and found myself appreciating the music in the movie.
smile.gif

And in the end, how much does it matter? Mathematically, there were more votes for the soundtrack than for ATYCLB. C'est la vie. Blame Dylan.
wink.gif

I agree on the Dylan theory.. That was my fear.. My dad were both talking about it.. and He got me to listen to the new Dylan one he bought, and I got him to listen to ATYCLB, and the Dylan album is some good shit, it's got everything you could want in an album of that sorts, Still I don't find how a Soundtrack.. and not one of those 'album' soundtracks.. a various artist soundtrack could win.. Oh well.. They got one of the three big ones though..

L.Unplugged

Good point! Lets get that Dylan guy, its his fault!!!
wink.gif

I agree with what you are saying. We are probebly taking this to seriously (myself included). But it still pisses me off, I cant help that. It is just an awards show though but the media hypes it up and makes it seem more important than it is. Lets face it, perception is a big deal in the recording/entertainment industry.

yeah, I hear ya, Blue Room. I think the only thing that REALLY pisses me off is that since whats-her-name-R&B-girl won 5 awards and U2 won 4, she is the one that is the "big winner" all over the headlines. bah.
tongue.gif
How much you want to bet that in five years, probably less, she'll be a blip on the radar and a has-been.

so true, sula, if we would all look at the bigger picture, U2 will be eligible for the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame in a year or two. How many musicians from last night can claim that honor or will be around long enough to claim it? Not too many.....

Did anyone notice when that album (O' brother...) won, one of the only people standing up and cheering for it was the Edge? It almost looked like he might be trying be an ungracious fool.

But we know he would never be like that - so he must of really liked that album.

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
yeah, I hear ya, Blue Room. I think the only thing that REALLY pisses me off is that since whats-her-name-R&B-girl won 5 awards and U2 won 4, she is the one that is the "big winner" all over the headlines. bah.
tongue.gif
How much you want to bet that in five years, probably less, she'll be a blip on the radar and a has-been.

Sula you mean like: Lauren Hill, Milli Vanilli, Christopher Cross, Christina, Ricky Martin, etc...

Originally posted by the olive:
Did anyone notice when that album (O' brother...) won, one of the only people standing up and cheering for it was the Edge? It almost looked like he might be trying be an ungracious fool.

But we know he would never be like that - so he must of really liked that album.

like i posted earlier in the thread...

"It was a sweet defeat," said the Edge, guitarist for U2, on losing to a soundtrack he was a fan of.

Originally posted by Blue Room:
Flying, you are in a dream world if you think U2 doesnt think they should have won album of the year. Edge was gracious because you dont want to look bitter in the media and they are friends with T Bone Burnett who produced O Brother. That doesnt mean they think it deserved album of the year. I didnt say it was a bad album, I said it is ridiculous that it won over ATYCLB. It did NOT deserve album of the year over ATYCLB and most people would agree with that.

I never knew there were so many crazed bluegrass U2 fans out there. Do you really think O Brother deserved it over ATYCLB??? That is disturbing.

joyfulgirl, I think the Dylan theory is exactly why U2 didnt win. Rock was split between U2 and Dylan. Hip Hop and R and B were split between Outkast and Alicia Keyes. The only group that did not have a split was country music, so that group probebly all voted for O Brother. Its more of a political thing anyway. O Brother was not the best album this year.

I agree that it was still a decent night for U2. But the one award I thought they deserved the most, they did not win. It just shows how warped the Grammy's are.

I'm not living in a dream world thank you... and you mentioned another point that can only support what I said... T Bone Burnett. They are friends and as much as competition is there, Edge couldn't be really that bitter to see his friend take the best album. Also U2 have supported the underdogs of quality music, and bluegrass isn't a part of the mainstream. "O'Brother" is considered one of the best albums of the year and was actually chosen by some reviewers as an album that deserved to win.

With U2 delving into roots music of America, why wouldn't U2 be supportive of an under-appreciated music.

Let me close and say that there need to be more crazed bluegrass U2 fans in the world. The world would be better for it.

------------------
~ "You can't resist her. She's in your bones. She is your marrow and your ride home. You can't avoid her. She's in the air; in between molecules of oxygen and carbon dioxide." ~ RC

Flying, I never said he was bitter about it. Re read my post. I said that there is no way they really thought it deserved to win over ATYCLB but he would never say that. I do agree that he was probebly happy for his friend T Bone Burnett as well. But you know they wanted to win it and thought they should.

You never answered my question either. Do you really think O'Brother deserved to win over ATYCLB? I would like to hear your reasoning if you think it did.

See if this analogy works to prove my point. Say you are in college and you are a very good student and well liked by the Staff and other students. You write a research paper and spend alot of time and effort to write something original and new. The paper is so good you are put up for an award with the school for best paper.

Another paper is also up for the award by a student who you are friends with but isnt all that well known with the other students or the staff but gets good grades. This students paper is a collection of prior research papers combined and given a few twists to the original papers. This paper wins over yours.

If you were the first student would you really think the 2nd students paper deserved to win over yours? Sure, if you were the first student you would be happy for your friend and you would be supportive but that doesnt mean you thought they should have won over your paper.

Originally posted by Sicy:
Can we just be happy and proud that they won 4 grammys?

I am!

I mean....yeah....I was initially disappointed when watching the Grammys last night, but...damn...4 Grammys last night! 7 for the album total! Incredible!!!!

------------------

Last nite.... that was a joke right?? U2 NOT winning song and album of the year!?!?!? WHAT IS WRONG HERE??? I used to think that the grammys were the only thing left that knew how to place each different class of music in it's own place... the SOUNDTRACK to a MOVIE that had george clooney in it outbeats U2 ??? Ok yea Alisha is a good new artist and her style is great..her voice is beautiful but her outdoing our lads??? How is any of this possible??? I want a public appology from the grammys saying that U2 should have been given all the awards they were nominated for and next year they won't joke around like that! ok i'm done.

Back
Top Bottom